Another supposed “cure” for autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2022, 8:55 pm

[url=https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-09-anti-diarrhea-medication-core-autism-symptoms.html]

This article appeared on my Facebook feed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 9:15 pm

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There are people who are dumb enough to try anything.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:52 am

Why am I trying to figure out how the phrase "Full of s***" applies?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 7:49 pm

I've tried Metamucil. Now for plan I for Imodium.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There are people who are dumb enough to try anything.
Like horse de-wormer for covid, perhaps?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2022, 12:48 am

Did anyone here actually bother to read the article before insulting it?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:13 am

In case any simpletons would rather educate themselves than make jokes:

Quote:
Loperamide binds to and activates a protein called the μ-opioid receptor, which is normally affected by opioid drugs, such as morphine. Along with the effects that you would normally expect from an opioid drug, such as pain relief, the μ-opioid receptor also affects social behavior.

In previous studies, genetically engineered mice that lack the μ-opioid receptor demonstrated social deficits similar to those seen in ASD. Interestingly, drugs that activate the μ-opioid receptor helped to restore social behaviors.

I even took the time to draw attention to the key points, but carry on like the scientists are the ignorant ones.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:35 am

Easiest solution would be for one of us to give it a test.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2022, 1:44 am

Funeralxempire is correct. The article is actually interesting.

Biology is super-complicated and few drugs are so simple that they do only one thing. That's why side effects exist. Of course, whether something is the effect or the side effect is entirely a matter of what you're trying to do. If your anti-diarrhea drug also happens to make people feel good, that's a side effect you'd hardly bother warning anyone about.

I have two disabled kids, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's a link somewhere. One of them, of course, is autistic. The other one has Crohn's, which causes (among other things) chronic diarrhea. So I would not be surprised at all if a medicine that looked promising for one looked promising for the other.

If someone could help either of my boys, I would be grateful forever.

AngloIrishGuy
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2022, 8:40 am

I had food poisoning last night. Wish I had some of those tablets. Probably would have made my night a bit more bearable and maybe cured my autism while I was at it. But jokes aside, I really dont view my autism as being broken. I cant speak for anyone else, but I dont feel broken. I have empathy. In fact, I often seem to be able to understand different points of view better than most people. I understand body language, tone of voice and facial expressions just fine. What I need is a bit of respect. What WE need is a bit of respect. Not trying to diminish anyone elses experience of autism, everyones different and if someone feels broken, who am I to tell them theyre not?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 10:26 am

I don't feel broken, either. I think I'm just different, though I don't even feel different...I have concluded I must be different because that is the only way to explain how the world has treated me.

Biology and chemistry are not my fields but I did notice that a base premise in that study is that I'm not different, I'm broken.

And reality is just begging for jokes when they are looking at anti-diarrhea medication to "cure" social and communication differences.

Off Topic
Somehow I'm reminded of this from The Big Bang Theory episode "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation":
Quote:
Raj Koothrappali: Has Bernadette found a cure for something?

Howard Wolowitz: In a way. She was working on a dandruff shampoo that has the unfortunate side effect of horrible anal leakage.

Raj Koothrappali: That's too bad. But then, is there any good anal leakage?

Howard Wolowitz: On the upside, they decided to market it as a constipation remedy.

Raj Koothrappali: Way to make lemonade. You know, around the corner where fudge is made.

drgafanovich
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2022, 2:52 am

Doesn't seem that lucrative of a cure.

MuddRM wrote:
[url=https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-09-anti-diarrhea-medication-core-autism-symptoms.html]

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 3:06 am

drgafanovich wrote:
Doesn't seem that lucrative of a cure.

MuddRM wrote:

It's not but luckily it doesn't matter anyway. The concept of diarrhea meds somehow mitigating against a serious social disorder is so absurd that it belongs as a joke in Monty python.

Same as the "cure" that involved transplanting NT human s**t into the gastrointestinal tract of autistics.

They're scientists and all but even they should know better than this.

It's a good money making scheme for them I guess while they get paid to "research". It's interesting actually that such strange concepts even put on the table.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:09 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Desperate enough to try anything.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:37 am

funeralxempire wrote:
In case any simpletons would rather educate themselves than make jokes:

Quote:
Loperamide binds to and activates a protein called the μ-opioid receptor, which is normally affected by opioid drugs, such as morphine. Along with the effects that you would normally expect from an opioid drug, such as pain relief, the μ-opioid receptor also affects social behavior.

In previous studies, genetically engineered mice that lack the μ-opioid receptor demonstrated social deficits similar to those seen in ASD. Interestingly, drugs that activate the μ-opioid receptor helped to restore social behaviors.

I even took the time to draw attention to the key points, but carry on like the scientists are the ignorant ones.

In which case the view that this is a Quack item only seems strengthenned - by analagy, alcohol is often associated with a lowering of inhibition which some people finds eases social situations; by showing animprovement in observed ease in social situations, is alcohol also a cure for autism ?

Binding to a receptor and firing a nerve cell is not the same as altering an underlying interconnection scheme.
Any more than an experiement in cell culture is a conclusive proof that a drug formulated and tested against Paraiste diseases somehow will definiately work agains diseases caused by a virus.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:35 am

I'm sure I remember a time when the received wisdom was that there's no medication for ASD. I'm somewhat alarmed at how hard they try to get us onto tablets.

I wonder if they've looked into the potential side-effect of constipation? Anyway, we'll see what becomes of the idea in a year or two. I'll wager it won't emerge as an effective treatment, and those mice will have been tortured and killed for no good reason.

most adults and about half of children and adolescents with ASD are treated with antipsychotic drugs, which have serious side effects or lack efficacy in ASD

Do they really prescribe antipsychotics that often, or are the authors exaggerating things to justify what they're doing? That's not a rhetorical question. I see the UK appreciates there's a problem with overprescribing antipsychotics to us, but the numbers aren't as bad, so maybe it's more of a problem in the USA which is notorious for overtreating and getting worse outcomes.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... troduction

I think those who say people should read the article before commenting have a strong point, but I wish they'd express it more courteously. I don't think putting people's backs up will help to get the message across. Nobody's even said they didn't read it, so it seems a tad strange to me that anybody would go on the offensive about a problem that might not exist.