FBI comes to Trump supporter's home after she voiced support

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,456

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,070
Location: Pacific Northwest

13 Sep 2022, 8:34 am

Was she really at the Jan 6th riot? I thought there was more to the story than the headline. You can never trust the headlines.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Last edited by League_Girl on 13 Sep 2022, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,456

13 Sep 2022, 8:46 am

League_Girl wrote:
Was age really at the Jan 6th riot?


Actually, the whole point is that she wasn't. Basically they falsely accused her of it because of the support she expressed in social media.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,649
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

13 Sep 2022, 2:28 pm

QFT wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Was age really at the Jan 6th riot?


Actually, the whole point is that she wasn't. Basically they falsely accused her of it because of the support she expressed in social media.


So should the police have just ignored the tip and not even bothered investigating?


_________________
We won't go back.


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,118
Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

13 Sep 2022, 2:39 pm

I've had it up to my head with the FBI. I think that the FBI should move on to things that are more important.


_________________
Oberfeldwebel

Age: 48
Gender: Non-Binary
Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,810
Location: New York City (Queens)

13 Sep 2022, 2:55 pm

QFT wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-backer-says-fbi-showed-up-at-her-home-after-she-voiced-support-online/ar-AA11KURH?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=5ebe2bde3ada4413bb0fa700db95f1c4

This story begins:

Quote:
A New Jersey woman who voiced her support for former President Trump on Facebook said Monday that three FBI agents showed up at her home last month claiming to have an anonymous tip connecting her to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, despite her having no involvement.

Sounds to me like either (1) someone honestly confused her with someone involved in the January 6 riot, or (2) someone who doesn't like her, personally, made a malicious false report.

In the latter case, this would be far from the first time that someone has made a malicious false police report about someone they didn't like.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,146
Location: Seattle-ish

13 Sep 2022, 7:57 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
In the latter case, this would be far from the first time that someone has made a malicious false police report about someone they didn't like.


They usually don't rise to the level of sending out federal agents.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,475
Location: Northern California

13 Sep 2022, 8:09 pm

Or … she could be lying. Not to say she is, but there is zero corroborating reporting in the story, not even a quote from the husband or daughter who were there, which should always raise skepticism.


_________________
Mom to an amazing young adult AS son, plus an also amazing non-AS daughter. Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,810
Location: New York City (Queens)

13 Sep 2022, 10:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
They usually don't rise to the level of sending out federal agents.

There have been plenty of cases of people making malicious false accusations to cause even worse things than federal agents being sent out. Lately I've seen quite a few references to "swatting": People maliciously reporting alleged emergencies that would justify a SWAT team breaking down someone's door. (See the Wikipedia article on swatting.)


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,765
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

14 Sep 2022, 1:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
In the latter case, this would be far from the first time that someone has made a malicious false police report about someone they didn't like.


They usually don't rise to the level of sending out federal agents.


Meh, depends. Our local city police are technically federal agents. (Although we're foolishly transitioning to a municipal force at great expen$ed because our mayor has a beef with the local RCMP.)

Some guy was out visiting from Ontario and saw local police cars and was like "What's with all the RC's???" and I'm like.. uuh, donuts? A speeding ticket? Who knows ? Then he explained that in Ontario they have municipal/city police, Ontario Provincial Police, and RCMP are "the Feds, like the FBI in the US." Oh, that explains your confusion then.. more than half the cities and towns in BC are policed by RCMP detachments; they're just local cops.

So, maybe where this woman lives FBI are the closest law enforcement for miles around and they just went and did their little check rather than try to track down some other type of cop from farther away to do it ? I dunno if there are areas of the USA policed by feds like large swaths of Canada, but if there are, it's def not sending in someone way too high up the food chain or anything.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,649
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

14 Sep 2022, 1:38 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Or … she could be lying. Not to say she is, but there is zero corroborating reporting in the story, not even a quote from the husband or daughter who were there, which should always raise skepticism.


This.

Plus, the source, Tucker Carlson's talk show on Faux News, isn't really what most people consider a reliable news source.


_________________
We won't go back.


Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,146
Location: Seattle-ish

14 Sep 2022, 8:10 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
There have been plenty of cases of people making malicious false accusations to cause even worse things than federal agents being sent out. Lately I've seen quite a few references to "swatting": People maliciously reporting alleged emergencies that would justify a SWAT team breaking down someone's door. (See the Wikipedia article on swatting.)


That's local cops, they respond to emergency calls (such as the fake hostage situations usually invented by SWATers), the feds are typically more deliberate, you don't usually get them knocking on your door for petty local stuff.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,765
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

14 Sep 2022, 8:27 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
There have been plenty of cases of people making malicious false accusations to cause even worse things than federal agents being sent out. Lately I've seen quite a few references to "swatting": People maliciously reporting alleged emergencies that would justify a SWAT team breaking down someone's door. (See the Wikipedia article on swatting.)


That's local cops, they respond to emergency calls (such as the fake hostage situations usually invented by SWATers), the feds are typically more deliberate, you don't usually get them knocking on your door for petty local stuff.

Maybe she posted something that qualified as not petty ? Could have been some domestic terror threat or something like that.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,268
Location: Reading, England

15 Sep 2022, 1:30 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
There have been plenty of cases of people making malicious false accusations to cause even worse things than federal agents being sent out. Lately I've seen quite a few references to "swatting": People maliciously reporting alleged emergencies that would justify a SWAT team breaking down someone's door. (See the Wikipedia article on swatting.)


That's local cops, they respond to emergency calls (such as the fake hostage situations usually invented by SWATers), the feds are typically more deliberate, you don't usually get them knocking on your door for petty local stuff.

The crime reported was a federal offence committed in DC which the FBI is already investigating. I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound like the New Jersey police would have a role - unlike, say, a hostage situation or a murder.



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,146
Location: Seattle-ish

15 Sep 2022, 8:41 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
The crime reported was a federal offence committed in DC which the FBI is already investigating. I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound like the New Jersey police would have a role - unlike, say, a hostage situation or a murder.


I'm not disputing that, what I'm saying is that it would be unusual to get three feds on your doorstep over an anonymous tip, that might be enough to draw out the local yokels, but the feds usually require a little more corroboration to show up.


_________________
“The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental.”
-- Robert Anton Wilson