I wish I can play video games agaib

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 2:12 am

The closest I play is Pokémon go and that doesn’t satisfy me. I really lost the motivation to play games. Idk why.

I’d like to get back into it. Anyone like Stardew valley?

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 7:35 am

Could be depression, maybe? Just a "funk"?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 1:02 am

I haven't played Stardew Valley, but all my friends who have love it.

What are you really looking for in a game? What did you like about PoGO? Maybe you'd like an RPG? Or a platformer?

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 7:02 am

I am similar.

My entire teenage life was about playing videogames, they were pretty much the most important thing in the world to me. But after 20 I just...couldn't any more. I was bored by them.

Then, around 30 years I got into Minecraft for a bit, but now, that bores me too. I load it up, I walk around and bleh, I close it down.

In the first bits of the pandemic I got a wii and found I could play Zelda games, then I got a wii U so I could play breath of the wild. I still play Botw on occasion but I've done everything there was to do in it.

I bought a Quest 2 which had a certain novelty factor but it's ages since I've used it.

I try games and I'm just bored or disappointed by them. Even big titles that everyone raves about just do nothing for me.

But I don't learn. I'm going to get an Xbox and a game pass and just try everything, there must be something? Right? Because Botw2 isn't out until next May and I need something.

It's weird to yearn for something that still exists and is still freely available but just doesn't seem to hit the spot any more.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 9:10 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I try games and I'm just bored or disappointed by them. Even big titles that everyone raves about just do nothing for me.

Same here, I'm not really into a lot of "big name" games, especially anything released after 2000.
I have such a huge backlog of old games, though, it's not really a problem.
Now it's finding -time- to play games that's the problem =)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:26 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

Same here, I'm not really into a lot of "big name" games, especially anything released after 2000.
I have such a huge backlog of old games, though, it's not really a problem.
Now it's finding -time- to play games that's the problem =)

My main issue is that games have become very heavily story-based and, in my opinion, the story telling isn't terribly advanced. I can't stand the endless cut scenes of terrible dialogue and the 15-year-old's idea of what 'adult content' means. I preferred it when games didn't have much story.

That said, yesterday I picked up an xbox so I'm looking for something to wow me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 8:36 am

Yeah, I remember when Final Fantasy VII came out, I watched my friend play it, and the abundance of cutscenes got pretty tiring...especially having to watch a mini-movie every time you cast a spell.

Don't even get me started on voice acting...one of the reasons I still enjoy Nintendo's games.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 8:47 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Don't even get me started on voice acting...one of the reasons I still enjoy Nintendo's games.

Exactly. I downloaded Immortals: Fenyx Rising because I'd heard it was like Botw, which it is, undeniably. But I've had to turn the voices off because they're so irritating to me. I'd rather read the captions.

The Mauve Factor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2022, 3:15 am

honeytoast wrote:
Anyone like Stardew valley?

Weirdly, this is the type of game I should be totally into, but I suffer from low motivation to even play games at all most of the time, so I haven't really invested much into it. There was a slightly similar one (less-farmy and more like Minecraft) called Junk Jack that I obsessively got into and played to completion, but somehow certain games just hook me in when other ones fail and I never know the exact science behind it. Sometimes I think it's just the aesthetically-pleasing nature of some games, even though that shouldn't even be a factor.

Typically I'd rather be coding or drawing on my Switch, but I want to get around to Stardew again. Have you tried Littlewood? It's like Stardew Valley for people who really like focusing on a different dynamic. Totally worth checking out, as it might be the thing to get your gaming motivation back!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 4:50 am

The thing is that I have noticed a diss-satisfaction with games as they trap one in a false world where one is longing for something real. It is why robots will never satisfy our needs because they are also what our mind sees as false.
As I am writing this, I realize how we were created for real... How we have been given a real world to enjoy.
Don't assume I hve not tried video games. I hve been playing electronic games on occasions since before the UK had access to Atari because as a child we had electronic games in amusement arcades. They may have been very simple such as one that one stood on a set of skies and the skie poles would move lights set in a display designed to look like one was moving and having to avoid obsticles, but while such things in their day were novel, and of course most were electro-mechanical machines such as horse racing where one guesses which colour would win, where I found that by putting all four 2p coins in at the same time so by putting 8p in, one gets a 10p reward! So one could slowly accumilate on ones collection of 2p's if no one noticed what one was doing!

But the thing is, the
gaming world does not in the long term satisfy the soul. The deep longing for "Real" which wants to over-ride tha addiction to playing all these games.
Games themselves are neither here or there and are designed for pleasure. But there is something that other physical hobbies have that games lack, and that is the physical world.

That is when one needs a break from the gaming world and one needs something to help one enjoy the physical world. Be it a means of transport to enjoy new places. Be it a hobby in itself such as cycling so one enjoys the ride, enjoys ones fine pedalling machine and one enjoys the places one rides to. (Hint. Buying a suitable bike will get the best rewards as a bike which is not that suitable will either be hard work or will not allow one the full range of comfort or pleasure. What good is it to race to a scenic destination but miss out on the pleasure of a good meal when one does not have anywhere on ones racing bike to store a flask of warm coffee and some nice food and one has missed a lot of scenery because one has been zooming away? The bike can do the distance, but one is better off with a tourer of another more suitable bicycle design).

Taking a break for a season from the gaming world restores ones soul and thirst for adventure. One then can appreciate the games once more.

I found myself preferring the simpler games and going off games that I could see manipulation involved to gain more funds such as games like a certain downloadable car racing game on the Nintendo Switch which relies on ones addictiveness for more than the "Average" cars through spending real money while one progresses, and these amounts of money can be hundreds of pounds a time if one is not careful! Avoid such games. Buy games which give one a hard copy of whatever game it is so one can play the game again and again without any third party involvement which will include additional financial costs to progress in the game. Remember that one is paying out for something that one does not own anything more than the use of untangiable gaming pictures. Something which dissapears when one has switched ones game system off. At least with some gaming systems, one physically has a disc or some sort of cartridge to hold ones game on so one has "Something" of value. The manufactures love these gaming downloads as for them, the costs then are less and the profits enlarge. Yes people put huge amounts of time making such games and testing them and very creative they are too! But most of these people do not see the huge profits the gaming system owners get. They just see their wage. These downloadable games have enlarged the profits of both the game system manufacturers and the owners of the games programs. They may have made larger games work but it is all just a bit to convenient from the one side and for the customers it can feel a bit like a rip off as they actually own nothing but the system itself and if one looks at the smallprint, one does not own the game but has an agreement if one pays to use it. Rather like a slot machine in an arcade where one is gambling with ones money!

But lets get back to fun and gaming!
Sometimes the simpliest of games are far more playble than the more elaborate games. I have had great fun for hours and hours and even days on end in the past with a simple Atari games console, and before one laughs at the very square-like large pixels and things like that, consider this. Those games, due to the lack of the ability to do much with the graphics of their day, had to be created to be playable, and it was the simple playability tose games had which I missed with modern games. I remember thinking when trying one game "What is the point to all this extra detail as the actual game playability itself is useless?" Yet on the old Atari, almost every game was fun to play and all one was moving were square dots!

I do see a similarity with the modern progress of model railways that the more advancements made, the less the playability factor comes in, where by returning back to the roots of the hobby ones mind switches in to "Fill the gaps" and the hobby becomes about creativity again!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 10:33 am

I think subtitles are better than dialogue in video games in a lot of cases, as some people have suggested in this thread.

My enjoyment of video games reduced significantly after my early twenties passed, but they are still reasonably entertaining to me, enough to play them quite a bit.

fare
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2022, 6:03 pm

honestly same, i used to play games A LOT
it’s not a good thing but i miss my dedication and passion. It was my motivation to get out of my bed but nowadays I can't get myself into anything