Any other Canadians notice the up tick in ketchup chips?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Opposite of the truth. you're considered a weirdo if you DONT put ketchup on your hot dog here in the states.
But ketchup on your eggs? What kind of a sicko are you????????

This is news to me. Although having married into a Jewish family, maybe putting mustard on hot dogs is a Jewish thing. Where do you live?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 10:46 am

MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Opposite of the truth. you're considered a weirdo if you DONT put ketchup on your hot dog here in the states.

This is news to me. Although having married into a Jewish family, maybe putting mustard on hot dogs is a Jewish thing. Where do you live?

Mustard Remains Americans’ Favorite Hot Dog Topping, But Ketchup Shows Surprising Popularity, New Survey Data Shows

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 10:50 am

naturalplastic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
In the summer Cheetos came out with a limited edition brand of ketchup Cheetos shaped like maple leaves. I really liked them. I also like ketchup Lays but most other ketchup-flavoured chips are too sour and like battery acid in my mouth. :(

Funny thing is I don't put a lot of ketchup on my foods. French fries, scrambled eggs, sausages. Sometimes burgers and hot dogs. I read somewhere that putting ketchup on hot dogs in the US is seen as a crime against humanity and that it can even get you kicked out of sports stadiums if they see anyone but small children put ketchup on a hot dog. Is that true, or are these certain Americans just think they're gourmets of the decade?

I only put it on *scrambled* eggs, I don't put them on any other kinds of eggs. Or when the scrambled eggs have cheese in them. :oops:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:11 am

MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

On the west coast hot dog toppings are ketchup, mustard, relish, onions and sauerkraut. I've seen some use mayonnaise, but that's pretty rare. The last hot dog I ate was from 7 Eleven and had ketchup, mustard and relish via those little packets. Now if I'm eating a bratwurst, then it's mustard only, and preferably the brown German style.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:19 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

On the west coast hot dog toppings are ketchup, mustard, relish, onions and sauerkraut. I've seen some use mayonnaise, but that's pretty rare. The last hot dog I ate was from 7 Eleven and had ketchup, mustard and relish via those little packets. Now if I'm eating a bratwurst, then it's mustard only, and preferably the brown German style.

I can see how this might be a West Coast thing. It occurs to me that in NYC it has been popular for a long time to serve hot dogs with sauerkraut on them. In that scenario I would expect mustard to be mandatory.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
MaxE wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
This isn't just a Canadian thing, My wife and daughter can't eat french fries without drowning them in tomato sauce.

In Canada, a "chip" is a potato crisp. Chips are called "fries" they are a critical ingredient of poutine. You can only get ketchup chips in Canada. The War of 1812 (secretly still being fought) was started over a plot to manufacture ketchup chips in the US.

Where does the word ketchup originate?

South East Asia and it wasn't a tomato based sauce.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:41 am

naturalplastic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
In the summer Cheetos came out with a limited edition brand of ketchup Cheetos shaped like maple leaves. I really liked them. I also like ketchup Lays but most other ketchup-flavoured chips are too sour and like battery acid in my mouth. :(

Funny thing is I don't put a lot of ketchup on my foods. French fries, scrambled eggs, sausages. Sometimes burgers and hot dogs. I read somewhere that putting ketchup on hot dogs in the US is seen as a crime against humanity and that it can even get you kicked out of sports stadiums if they see anyone but small children put ketchup on a hot dog. Is that true, or are these certain Americans just think they're gourmets of the decade?

In Chicago asking for ketchup for your hot dog will get you asked to leave the restaurant. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:16 pm

I would eat the sh*t out of a Tabasco chip, like a spicy salt and vinegar.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm

MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Mustard on hot dogs here.
Also dill relish and chopped onions.
Would never put ketchup on a hot dog.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:36 pm

MaxE wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I can see how this might be a West Coast thing. It occurs to me that in NYC it has been popular for a long time to serve hot dogs with sauerkraut on them. In that scenario I would expect mustard to be mandatory.

When I want to eat a hot dog "German style" then it's mustard, onions and sauerkraut.

"According to a recent online survey conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of the Council, nearly three quarters (71 percent) of Americans who eat hot dogs say they top their hot dogs with mustard, followed by ketchup (52 percent), onions (47 percent), chili (45 percent) and relish (41 percent)."
https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-r ... %20percent).

I forgot about chilidogs. I usually add a little mustard to those. And cheese. It's been a long time since I've eaten one.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:52 pm

I like having it with both ketchup and mustard at once, topped with relish or pickle slices.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:53 pm

I've noticed it. Every brand has ketchup flavoured chips. I can't get away from it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 7:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've noticed it. Every brand has ketchup flavoured chips. I can't get away from it.

Isn't it glorious?? :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 10:49 pm

I bought some double flavouring old Dutch rippled ketchup chips at a gas station tonight - just in case there are any juicy headlines tonight or tmw that require a little US news watching fuel. 8)

Plus when a gas station has a nice clean ash room for me to take a piss in while I’m out for a motorcycle ride I tend to buy some profitable item or another. Usually coffee, but it’s night so went for the chips.