How the Media Fell for A Racism Sham

Page 4 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:25 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that racism is a cancer that should be gotten rid of.

I doubt anyone will disagree, the problem here is that when people build their identity around opposition to a thing and that thing is successfully defeated, they don't tend to declare victory and go home, but instead start defining down the thing they're against so they can keep fighting it. This is how creeping wokeism works, blatant racism has largely been eliminated from the public square, so in order to keep the crusade going people need to find smaller and smaller offenses to get worked up about, or as in this case, simply make them up to keep the party going.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:45 am

Key point from the article:

Quote:
There are real-world consequences to this sort of shoddy reporting

And I will add to that, that there are real world consequences to relying on and advancing a story that hasn't been fully investigated.

Learn to sit back before feeling outrage, so that you have a more full story.

In a tic tok world, we seem to want to judge immediately, and forget to question ourselves.

It is also worth remembering that people hear things wrong ALL THE TIME. Human perception is inherently flawed. Questioning a story doesn't mean you are questioning someone's integrity. It means you know that misconceptions happen. Question more, conclude less.

Journalists should know better, obviously. If they fail to check the facts, they've failed their own professional standards. But we can be part of the review system, too. Not jumping to either yes or no, but asking "is there more?"

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:50 am

Dox47 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I doubt anyone will disagree, the problem here is that when people build their identity around opposition to a thing and that thing is successfully defeated, they don't tend to declare victory and go home, but instead start defining down the thing they're against so they can keep fighting it. This is how creeping wokeism works, blatant racism has largely been eliminated from the public square, so in order to keep the crusade going people need to find smaller and smaller offenses to get worked up about, or as in this case, simply make them up to keep the party going.

I boil it down more to a "quick to judge" and "thriving on controversy" culture on ALL sides. We have no patience for sitting and evaluating something. We think everyone is supposed to just "know" right from wrong, truth from fiction. We don't want nuance and complexity; we want a reality TV show that always has something dramatic going on, identified good guys and villains, ignore the fact that someone separated the character from the reality of the individual and shaped the character for ratings. There are activists with all sorts of different political persuasions playing the same game, needing the black and white drama, just picking different issues.

I don't think it's fair to pick on one issue, particularly as sensitive a topic as racism. There is real work to be done, and real stuff to be learned. The problem isn't with the issue itself. The problem is with the current temperament of society as a whole.

EVERY issue and EVERY story should be approached with caution.

JHMO, anyway.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:39 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
I don't think it's fair to pick on one issue, particularly as sensitive a topic as racism. There is real work to be done, and real stuff to be learned. .

Why are you wrapping this in cotton wool. It's obvious he's been scouring the internet for another Jussie Smollet story to push a narrative that "wokes" are putting "innocent" white people at risk.

The reality is there isn't one single white victim of this supposed ogre that is false claims of racism. Even the Jussie Smollet case didn't involve victims. Only wasted police time, and Smollet is the one whose career has basically been ended not some white person.

This particular incident involves a rush to blame a teenage girl for making up lies. I don't see what the journalists have done wrong in reporting her allegations?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:48 am

Dox47 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

That's what's been happening and why there hasn't been any progress, even though there's been lots of progress.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
I don't think it's fair to pick on one issue, particularly as sensitive a topic as racism. There is real work to be done, and real stuff to be learned. .

Why are you wrapping this in cotton wool. It's obvious he's been scouring the internet for another Jussie Smollet story to push a narrative that "wokes" are putting "innocent" white people at risk.

The reality is there isn't one single white victim of this supposed ogre that is false claims of racism. Even the Jussie Smollet case didn't involve victims. Only wasted police time, and Smollet is the one whose career has basically been ended not some white person.

This particular incident involves a rush to blame a teenage girl for making up lies. I don't see what the journalists have done wrong in reporting her allegations?

I don't think its harmless to report an allegation without any investigation. In trying to support her, they've harmed her, exposing her to accusations of lies and blame.

I don't know that she lied. She could have been mistaken. That happens. She could have used overly strong wording because she was upset and venting to family, not expecting it to be shared. The incident could have been more subtle than she realized. We don't know; the leg work was never done. Careful fact gathering before putting information out to the public protects the accuser as well as the alleged perpetrator.

I used Dox's share to emphasize a different issue that *I've* been concerned about: an excessive rush to judgement in news and public discourse. My posts pushed on how reporting needs to be accurate, and shouldn't be jumping on a bandwagon. How those of us reacting to news should be careful before taking it as fact and sharing it with others. Once something is out there, you can't go back.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:00 am

I agree.

We, as a critically-thinking public, must objectively investigate things, rather than go by mere knee-jerk reactions/first impressions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We, as a critically-thinking public, must objectively investigate things, rather than go by mere knee-jerk reactions/first impressions.

You think the OP jumping up and down pointing fingers at a scared 19 year old girl shouting "Liar Liar pants on fire" is a form of critical thinking?

Rachel Richardson made some serious allegations to her family who chose to come forward to BYU on her behalf
1. She heard the n-word repeated a number of times as she was serving the ball
2. “The slurs and comments grew into threats, which caused her to feel unsafe.”
3. Duke freshman volleyball player Christina Barrow said she didn’t hear any such language but that Richardson told her teammates during the game about it.

“Rachel was the first one who told all of us,” said Barrow, a reserve who didn’t see any game action at BYU. “And even at first, when she first heard it, she was kind of confused like that, ‘Did I just hear that?’ And then when she heard it a second, third, continuous times, she was like, ‘Oh, I’m definitely hearing that.’ And that’s when we made our coaches aware of everything."
Now here's where it get's even more interesting -
Following the game, Duke’s players identified the person they said used the slurs. The following day, BYU announced it had banned one person based on Duke’s identification.

So it appears that among the Duke players more than one heard the slurs, This was corroborated by the video which shows a Duke player turning to the crowd after hearing something at the very moment Richardson was about to serve

The video clearly shows
1. A BYU girl throwing slurs at Richardson as she was serving caught on film (Richardson and Barrow would allege this happened multiple times
2. One of the girls in Duke turned at the very moment the slur was thrown

The entire team went to the coaches and pointed the girl out. She was later thrown out and banned.

But as we learned the ban has been reversed because weirdly BYU claims they couldn't get any of the fellow racists in the BYU cheer squad to corroborate the allegations. I mean this is Covington all over again where the institution asked the perpetrators for evidence and they all pretended nothing happned.

According to a 2021 internal report, authored by BYU’s Committee on Race, Equity, and Belonging, stated “there appears to be no cohesive ‘ownership’ or accountability for promoting an enriched environment or the values of racial equity and belonging at BYU.”

A member of BYU’s Black Student Union told the report’s authors that, “My experience as a Black student at BYU is not equal to other students on campus because I don’t feel safe.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/col ... 45666.html

Duke athletics director Nina King, in a statement Friday, said she stands with the Duke volleyball team’s actions.

“The 18 members of the Duke University volleyball team are exceptionally strong women who represent themselves, their families, and Duke University with the utmost integrity,” King said. “We unequivocally stand with and champion them, especially when their character is called into question. Duke Athletics believes in respect, equality and inclusiveness, and we do not tolerate hate and bias.”

I'm sorry this story just is starting appear that BYU is trying to bury this to hide a historic problem with racism in their university

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:17 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
She could have been mistaken. That happens. She could have used overly strong wording because she was upset and venting to family, not expecting it to be shared. .

Nope, if you read the article I posted she and at least one other Duke player heard the slur multiple times. It appears BYU is not taking the allegations from Duke as evidence but instead relying on the friends of the racist who as reported by BYU themselves have a history of closing ranks covering up racism to protect the reputation of their university.

BTW her father is Marvin Richardson. He's the Deputy Director of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives since 2021. That explains why BYU was in damage control straight after the incident. After the latest stunt they pulled in exonerating the racist, I suspect Marvin is going to make sure he drags their racist mormon assess through the dirt.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:24 am

I wasn't talking about this specific instance. My comment had nothing to do with what happened with Duke and BYU

I was talking about how the public just REACTS to things, rather than do thorough research, and agreeing with DW.

As I ponder what happened in that particular game, it seems like the Duke player was subjected to unacceptable racist taunts.

You would think that BYU, a Mormon school, wouldn't have students who are that idiotic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
As I ponder what happened in that particular game, it seems like the Duke player was subjected to unacceptable racist taunts.

Thank you, at least one other person here can see the obvious that others here are pretending they can't.

Oh! and BTW the reason why mormons are so racist is that their messiah Joseph Smith said blacks were cursed
https://www.catholic.com/qa/whats-the-r ... s-and-race
Book of Mormon speak of dark skin as a curse for sins, as opposed to the “white and delightsome” appearance of the righteous (2 Nephi 30:6, cf. 1 Nephi 12:23, 13:15, 2 Nephi 5:21, Jacob 3:8-9, 3 Nephi 2:14-15, Moses 7:8, 12, 22). A passage in the “Book of Abraham” (1:26–27), that spoke of the Egyptian pharaohs as having Negro ancestry, thereby disqualifying them from God’s priesthood, was used by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to deny the Mormon priesthood and temple privileges to anyone with any amount of Negro ancestry.

These passages in Mormon scripture served as the basis for every Mormon prophet since Smith to teach that blacks were cursed for their supposed sins before earthly birth. Brigham Young, Smith’s successor, also underscored the racist stand of Mormonism: “Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so” (Journal of Discourses 10:109).

Any black person who joins the mormons needs their head examined.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:31 am

The average Mormon is not KKK material. It's not right to put the vast majority of them in that category.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The average Mormon is not KKK material. It's not right to put the vast majority of them in that category.

Read the article I posted
The new mormon “revelation” in 1978 that was in response to widespread condemnation of racist mormon teaching did not actually change the previous Mormon teaching that people are born black because of their sins in the pre-existence.

The little racist BYU brats throwing slurs know that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:47 am

One of the requirements from Richardson family was that an impartial third party conduct the investigation not the university, He also requested an interview with the BYU coach heather Olmstead (who allegedly responded to Richardson during the match "what am I supposed to do about racist slurs"). Olmstead apparently refused to meet with the family.

Duke Players are dissapointed that a) BYU chose to run the investigation themselves and b) that their investigation lacked any sort of thoroughness or veracity.

The death threat made by a BYU student toward Richardson can't be swept under the carpet. Her father isn't going to let these mormon cultists get away with this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:09 am

Still, I wouldn't paint Mormons with that broad brush. It doesn't set a good precedent. Don't forget: Hitler painted Jews with a broad brush.

Emphasize the individual, not the religious sect.

Don't attack the racist because the racist is a Mormon. Attack the racist because the person is a racist, no matter what religion the person suscribes to.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 12:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You think the OP jumping up and down pointing fingers at a scared 19 year old girl shouting "Liar Liar pants on fire" is a form of critical thinking?

Rachel Richardson made some serious allegations to her family who chose to come forward to BYU on her behalf
1. She heard the n-word repeated a number of times as she was serving the ball
2. “The slurs and comments grew into threats, which caused her to feel unsafe.”
3. Duke freshman volleyball player Christina Barrow said she didn’t hear any such language but that Richardson told her teammates during the game about it.

“Rachel was the first one who told all of us,” said Barrow, a reserve who didn’t see any game action at BYU. “And even at first, when she first heard it, she was kind of confused like that, ‘Did I just hear that?’ And then when she heard it a second, third, continuous times, she was like, ‘Oh, I’m definitely hearing that.’ And that’s when we made our coaches aware of everything."
Now here's where it get's even more interesting -
Following the game, Duke’s players identified the person they said used the slurs. The following day, BYU announced it had banned one person based on Duke’s identification.

So it appears that among the Duke players more than one heard the slurs, This was corroborated by the video which shows a Duke player turning to the crowd after hearing something at the very moment Richardson was about to serve

The video clearly shows
1. A BYU girl throwing slurs at Richardson as she was serving caught on film (Richardson and Barrow would allege this happened multiple times
2. One of the girls in Duke turned at the very moment the slur was thrown

The entire team went to the coaches and pointed the girl out. She was later thrown out and banned.

But as we learned the ban has been reversed because weirdly BYU claims they couldn't get any of the fellow racists in the BYU cheer squad to corroborate the allegations. I mean this is Covington all over again where the institution asked the perpetrators for evidence and they all pretended nothing happned.

According to a 2021 internal report, authored by BYU’s Committee on Race, Equity, and Belonging, stated “there appears to be no cohesive ‘ownership’ or accountability for promoting an enriched environment or the values of racial equity and belonging at BYU.”

A member of BYU’s Black Student Union told the report’s authors that, “My experience as a Black student at BYU is not equal to other students on campus because I don’t feel safe.”

Duke athletics director Nina King, in a statement Friday, said she stands with the Duke volleyball team’s actions.

“The 18 members of the Duke University volleyball team are exceptionally strong women who represent themselves, their families, and Duke University with the utmost integrity,” King said. “We unequivocally stand with and champion them, especially when their character is called into question. Duke Athletics believes in respect, equality and inclusiveness, and we do not tolerate hate and bias.”

I'm sorry this story just is starting appear that BYU is trying to bury this to hide a historic problem with racism in their university

The picture showed fan yelling something not what was being yelled.

Where does it say her Duke teammates pointed out the fan?.
What do we have here. BYU has a historical and current racism problem. A fan yelling something, not atypical a a sports event. Teammates who believed their teammate. Still no public corroboration to Richardson’s accusation. Conclusion very weak circumstantial evidence slurs were yelled at Richardson, very good evidence of bad reporting.

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
and other people claiming she had done this before or is an attention seeker, or sees racism everywhere.

Who are these "other people"??

Her teammates, friends, anybody who knows her. If she had the personality traits I listed above she would be disliked and in a very public controversial case a whole bunch people would be happy to tell the media about it. This has not happened.

While there is a very weak evidence that she was call slurs multiple times there is no evidence of a hoax.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman