Do you ever get the feeling?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:38 am

Most people, in my experience, are decent, don’t have time to do really nasty things to others, and are apathetic, for the most part to others’ suffering—except perhaps for the sufferings of friends and family.

I don’t believe we are nearly at the point where a World War III will be beneficial for anybody.

Perhaps, your view of the world is skewed by being around drug addicts, who usually have a more cynical and social-Darwinist view of the world, caused by their constant craving for drugs.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:46 am

Yeah you've had some bad luck there and it's shaped the way you see the world.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:58 am

babybird wrote:
Yeah you've had some bad luck there and it's shaped the way you see the world.

32 years of bad luck...

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:00 am

You have the power to change that

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:02 am

Im always afraid that things will get a whole lot worse for me should something ever happen to my mom. She has been the one constant source of stability in my life despite having PTSD from being abused by both her husband and her own family.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:05 am

Why do you think that something is going to happen to her

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:12 am

My mom is getting older and she's been having a lot of major health problems lately. I see how tired and wore out she gets.

She takes care of me and is my payee.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 11:05 am

Yeah it must feel like the futures bleak sometimes.

Does your mother know about these anxieties?

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm not even sure if this is unique to my hometown, my country (Ammmuurrica!! !),

America has had anti-social trends in education and life in general for decades. Everything from helicopter parenting to affluenza and economic disparity, stressing of individual worth and reduction of consequences, lack of a shared challenge, life mostly indoors, etc. But to be sure, narcissism isn't simply selfishness and a big head.

I made it to my mid fifties, the year 2020, before an adult, someone truly lacking empathy, really tried to f**k me up to inflate and amuse themselves. Adults are generally, at worse, callous. They've generally outgrown the desire to intentionally f**k with people. Narcissists, though, do it to gain something, even if just validation and attention. Psychopaths do it for the luls.

Reading just now some cursory level stuff about psychopathy, though, it looks a lot like narcissism. I don't particularly want something else I have to research! lol But here's some more clarity:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 1:01 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
That we live in a world where narcissists are actually in the greater majority? I often feel that I could probably count the people I know personally who seem to experience actual empathy and compassion for others on two hands only. Most people i know are so beyond goddamn selfish and cruel and don't even seem to have love for their own mothers or children.

And it feels to me like the internet actualy lifts the veil off of these people exposing humans for what they really are behind their masks of civility. The fact that so many people online say and do nasty and cruel things when they know they can get away with it I think proves the point i am trying to make.

I agree with you that narcissists (e.g. many world leaders today) seem to be either increasing or getting louder and the internet lifts the veil off them.

I think it is due to:
The internet: which gives everyone a platform to spout whatever nonsense they want and gather like-minded people around them into gangs/tribes.
Capitalism: we are encouraged to get as much money as we possibly can; compete against everyone to be the best at getting money; view everyone else as a competitor; capitalism encourages everyone to be an individual 'brand' or company and therefore discourages working together with others, community values and helping others, because everyone else has to be our competition.
The ability to exist as an individual: due to the internet and capitalism, we actually don't need anyone else now. In the past we relied on our neighbours to help us, but now we can get anything we want at the click of a mouse, and it will arrive instantly. So because we don't rely on others, they don't rely on us, community networks wither away, we are all just living on our own tracks, ignoring other people, in the rat race.

Humans badly need a common goal again. Something to bring us all together to fight for our own survival together, or at least exist together.

I though covid might do that but it just divided us.

At this point, I think the only thing that would bring us together would be an actual alien invasion!

And I try to never forget. Homo sapiens are the deadliest, most efficient predators which has ever lived in modern times. Many cannot suppress this instinct and prey on other humans.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:08 am

Sometimes I hate humans. Other times I pity us.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:25 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sometimes I hate humans. Other times I pity us.

Yet it always surprises me that many humans fall in love and stay together for life. Not many animals do that.

Many humans will risk their lives to save strangers e.g. emergency services, mountain rescue. Even ordinary people in 9/11, in other terrorist attacks, in natural disasters. Often people in trouble have been rescued by random passers-by. I find that astounding from such a violent predatory species like us.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:28 am

I guess that's true. There were times I would have been dead if not for people who stopped to help me...

Perhaps it is really myself I hate and I project that hatered on everyone else...

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:38 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I guess that's true. There were times I would have been dead if not for people who stopped to help me...

Perhaps it is really myself I hate and I project that hatered on everyone else...

Yes, I can think of numerous times when strangers have helped me with all sorts of situations.

I think humans are just terribly confusing creatures who do really awful things one minute and really nice things the next minute. So it's understandable to be confused how you feel about them. I've even got a book 'Why Good People Do Bad Things.' I must get round to reading it!

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:56 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm pro-WW3 and pro-Climate Change.
Yeah, me, too. I'm also pro-plastic and pro-Covid-19. All people are evil.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 4:13 pm

temp1234 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm pro-WW3 and pro-Climate Change.
Yeah, me, too. I'm also pro-plastic and pro-Covid-19. All people are evil.

You know? I'm slowly but surely starting to slip back into this mindset. f**k humans!