Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:12 am

Funny about the reflux, I have it too, as well as IBS. I'm now wondering if my preventer/reliever (Symbicort) causes it.

I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma when I was 18. Then about a year later, I had asthma whether I exercised or not.

This past year my asthma has gotten a lot worse to the point of having to take steroids to manage it. After breathing tests and a CT scan of my lungs, I've been prescribed an additional medication - Spiriva. It's a long-acting bronchodilator. It takes a few weeks to work apparently. I'm still a bit wheezy but I don't have to rely on Ventolin any more.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:18 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

That's interesting. I take one of those steroid inhalers as a preventative. When I get really bad flare ups that require medication my doctor has me spray the steroid inhaler into my mouth w/o inhaling and swallow it, for the sores in my esophagus.

My asthma meds are non-steroidal since I already take a steroid for another issue. But yes, steroidal sprays can help with mouth sores. You might want to ask your dr. about an acid-controller too. Its made a huge difference for me in both a reduction in mouth sores, esophagitis, etc. and I get better sleep because it improves night-time indigestion.

Either way I wish you the best in Asthma control, and mouth sore relief. Life is hard enough already :-)

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 4:13 pm

:D

Worthless wrote:
klanka wrote:
DanielW wrote:
klanka wrote:
I have asthma and hay fever, I noticed they stop if i eat oranges regularly

HOW does that work?...oranges are histamine liberators, and can cause the release of large amounts of histamines in the body. Its broadly advised to avoid histamine while experiencing ANY sort of allergic or auto-immune responses (of which asthma and hay-fever are both)

There's a theory that some foods are acid forming in the body and some are alkaline forming

citrus fruits and vegetables are alkaline forming (and apple cider vinegar)
most everything else especially coffee,milk and meat are acid forming

I first noticed my symptoms disappear when i started drinking apple cider vinegar a lot. I was drinking it to help with heartburn and acid reflux.

I cant drink too much of that stuff so i eat oranges instead.

But vinegar is acetic acid...

And citrus fruits all have citric acid

true, but for some reason theyre supposed to form alkaline molecules when digested, i dont really understand it but it just seems to work

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 5:53 pm

klanka wrote:
:D
Worthless wrote:
klanka wrote:
DanielW wrote:
klanka wrote:
I have asthma and hay fever, I noticed they stop if i eat oranges regularly

HOW does that work?...oranges are histamine liberators, and can cause the release of large amounts of histamines in the body. Its broadly advised to avoid histamine while experiencing ANY sort of allergic or auto-immune responses (of which asthma and hay-fever are both)

There's a theory that some foods are acid forming in the body and some are alkaline forming

citrus fruits and vegetables are alkaline forming (and apple cider vinegar)
most everything else especially coffee,milk and meat are acid forming

I first noticed my symptoms disappear when i started drinking apple cider vinegar a lot. I was drinking it to help with heartburn and acid reflux.

I cant drink too much of that stuff so i eat oranges instead.

But vinegar is acetic acid...

And citrus fruits all have citric acid

true, but for some reason theyre supposed to form alkaline molecules when digested, i dont really understand it but it just seems to work

Weird. I still don't see how that would help when you have stomach acid in your esophagus since it would take time to be digested.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 9:32 pm

No, but my mother has asthma and is allergic to cats.

If being too clean is why younger people have so many allergies, then I must have eaten worms and dirt as a toddler while my mother must have given a bath three times a day when she was a baby. :)