Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 10:12 pm

Does anyone else have asthma? How long have you been diagnosed with it? Does anything specific trigger an asthma attack?

I have asthma and have been diagnosed w/ it since I was at least 3-4 y.o. I've noticed that if my digestive issues act up (my intestines to my esophagus will get inflamed + I get ulcers) that I get very frequent asthma attacks, even when I'm taking medicine to prevent them. Strenuous activity also triggers them, and sometimes anxiety attacks will, too.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:39 pm

Not me and I'm somewhat lucky not to develop it this whole time.

I have chronic rhinitis instead since I was 5, and it's common to have that along with asthma.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 11:49 pm

I have asthma. I get a flare-up every time I get overly excited.

KennyIOM
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2022, 8:39 am

I'm asthmatic. I must of diagnosed early as I cannot remember not having my inhalers.

I've luckily not had an attack in years. The last attack wss due to a chest infection in 2013.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 2:11 pm

I have asthma and hay fever, I noticed they stop if i eat oranges regularly

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 2:16 pm

I don't think mine is called asthma, but I've had respiratory issues my whole life.
When I was young I had to go to hospital on a breathing machine to increase my respiratory function, once a week for years.

I've had pneumonia and bronchitis more times than I can count, and they culminate in me wheezing or gasping for air.

My Covid devolved into something like asthma / whooping cough / consumption.
I'm still struggling to breathe, and coughing my guts out to the point my ribs are bruised.

I have puffers and inhalers and antibiotics but they don't seem to be helping.

My daughter has asthma and I tried hers but it only gave me the shakes.

My main trigger is allergies. I'm allergic to autumn, and October in particular.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 2:22 pm

klanka wrote:

HOW does that work?...oranges are histamine liberators, and can cause the release of large amounts of histamines in the body. Its broadly advised to avoid histamine while experiencing ANY sort of allergic or auto-immune responses (of which asthma and hay-fever are both)

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 2:27 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Does anyone else have asthma? How long have you been diagnosed with it? Does anything specific trigger an asthma attack?

I have asthma and have been diagnosed w/ it since I was at least 3-4 y.o. I've noticed that if my digestive issues act up (my intestines to my esophagus will get inflamed + I get ulcers) that I get very frequent asthma attacks, even when I'm taking medicine to prevent them. Strenuous activity also triggers them, and sometimes anxiety attacks will, too.

I've had it since birth, and yes I also have acid reflux and ulcers. My asthma meds tend to make digestive issues worse, so I use my rescue inhaler as needed and do my best to avoid triggers. Acid-controllers help a lot, along with not eating several hours before sleeping.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 2:34 pm

I was diagnosed with asthma in either preschool or early elementary, I don't remember when. I had to regularly use a nebulizer that my parents must have leased or rented for a few years. i also hat to use a rescue inhaler. Cold air, excersize, dust, and various other things were triggers. The last time I used a rescue inhaler was when I was climbing Mt. Baldy at Philmont and had to use a fellow scout's.

Edit: I have also had really bad acid reflux my whole life, but I haven't noticed any corilation between the two things.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 3:24 pm

DanielW wrote:
klanka wrote:

HOW does that work?...oranges are histamine liberators, and can cause the release of large amounts of histamines in the body. Its broadly advised to avoid histamine while experiencing ANY sort of allergic or auto-immune responses (of which asthma and hay-fever are both)

There's a theory that some foods are acid forming in the body and some are alkaline forming

citrus fruits and vegetables are alkaline forming (and apple cider vinegar)
most everything else especially coffee,milk and meat are acid forming

I first noticed my symptoms disappear when i started drinking apple cider vinegar a lot. I was drinking it to help with heartburn and acid reflux.

I cant drink too much of that stuff so i eat oranges instead.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 3:28 pm

klanka wrote:
DanielW wrote:
klanka wrote:

There's a theory that some foods are acid forming in the body and some are alkaline forming

citrus fruits and vegetables are alkaline forming (and apple cider vinegar)
most everything else especially coffee,milk and meat are acid forming

I first noticed my symptoms disappear when i started drinking apple cider vinegar a lot. I was drinking it to help with heartburn and acid reflux.

I cant drink too much of that stuff so i eat oranges instead.

But vinegar is acetic acid...

And citrus fruits all have citric acid

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 7:47 pm

DanielW wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

I've had it since birth, and yes I also have acid reflux and ulcers. My asthma meds tend to make digestive issues worse, so I use my rescue inhaler as needed and do my best to avoid triggers. Acid-controllers help a lot, along with not eating several hours before sleeping.

That's interesting. I take one of those steroid inhalers as a preventative. When I get really bad flare ups that require medication my doctor has me spray the steroid inhaler into my mouth w/o inhaling and swallow it, for the sores in my esophagus.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 7:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think mine is called asthma, but I've had respiratory issues my whole life.
When I was young I had to go to hospital on a breathing machine to increase my respiratory function, once a week for years.

I've had pneumonia and bronchitis more times than I can count, and they culminate in me wheezing or gasping for air.

My Covid devolved into something like asthma / whooping cough / consumption.
I'm still struggling to breathe, and coughing my guts out to the point my ribs are bruised.

I have puffers and inhalers and antibiotics but they don't seem to be helping.

My daughter has asthma and I tried hers but it only gave me the shakes.

My main trigger is allergies. I'm allergic to autumn, and October in particular.

I hate having to take my rescue inhaler because it makes me shake and makes my heart race. I've tried taking half a dose (one puff instead of two) and it still does that. One of my cousins also used to get albuterol inhalers from people and excessively use them for the stimulant affects. :?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 7:55 pm

Worthless wrote:
I was diagnosed with asthma in either preschool or early elementary, I don't remember when. I had to regularly use a nebulizer that my parents must have leased or rented for a few years. i also hat to use a rescue inhaler. Cold air, excersize, dust, and various other things were triggers. The last time I used a rescue inhaler was when I was climbing Mt. Baldy at Philmont and had to use a fellow scout's.

Edit: I have also had really bad acid reflux my whole life, but I haven't noticed any corilation between the two things.

My digestive problems are probably an autoimmune issue, and I've heard that issues like that can sometimes contribute to or cause asthma. I've had both issues since I was a toddler/infant. That might be why my asthma flares up when my digestive problems do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 7:56 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I hate having to take my rescue inhaler because it makes me shake and makes my heart race. I've tried taking half a dose (one puff instead of two) and it still does that. One of my cousins also used to get albuterol inhalers from people and excessively use them for the stimulant affects. :?

Have you tried the purple one? Advair?

https://getasthmahelp.org/diskus.aspx

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Worthless wrote:

My digestive problems are probably an autoimmune issue, and I've heard that issues like that can sometimes contribute to or cause asthma. I've had both issues since I was a toddler/infant. That might be why my asthma flares up when my digestive problems do.

Ah, ok. I don't ave any autoimmune issue. I do have a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, but that is another issue entirely. Also, my acid reflux may be related to a birth defect that I had to have surgery for as a neonate.