Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 3:11 am

People will still be arguing about Trump 50 years from now but that misses the important thing. Trump eventually will fade but Trumpism is going to profoundly affect American politics for the foreseeable future. When Trump dies the Republican party is not going back to the party of Bob Dole and John McCain. Let's say DeSantis wins the nomination or even the Presidency in 2024, that is something that would not have happened without Trump. It might be rebranded Orbanism not Trumpism, whoopie de do. Wokeism predates Trump but he is a big reason it became mainstream. In reaction to "Orbanist" provocations, it will become more illiberal and more validated.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

OGMacgyver
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

Which one of these definitions of PPR are you invoking? 8O

How come you liberals have all these childish nicknames for Trump, but we just call Biden senile(which he is). Is this proof that you really are children in adult bodies? I don't think we had any nicknames for Hillary either.

By the way: Is #OrangeManBad where you liberals talk about the orange man being bad or is it where we make fun of you for calling Trump the bad orange man? I don't use social media, so I have no idea.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:38 am

Orange Man versus Sleepy Joe? Who really cares?

Anyone who wants to be President should be automatically disqualified from getting the job.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 5:53 pm

OGMacgyver wrote:
Which one of these definitions of PPR are you invoking? 8O

How come you liberals have all these childish nicknames for Trump, but we just call Biden senile(which he is). Is this proof that you really are children in adult bodies? I don't think we had any nicknames for Hillary either.

By the way: Is #OrangeManBad where you liberals talk about the orange man being bad or is it where we make fun of you for calling Trump the bad orange man? I don't use social media, so I have no idea.

Biden's mental decline is grossly exaggerated by the right, as his legislative accomplishments have demonstrated.
Prove what's critically said about Trump is wrong.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:18 pm

Trump will always be my president. I've also noticed that PPR has been going down. It's like there's a plan to get rid of right-leaning people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:28 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Trump will always be my president. I've also noticed that PPR has been going down. It's like there's a plan to get rid of right-leaning people.

I don't believe anyone seriously wants to get rid of our Sgt. Schultz. It's just that the rest of us have far different feelings for Trump, and we let the world know it.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:21 pm

As some have touched on earlier, PPR and many threads of the news section just turn into Trump bashing. A small family owned flour mill could explode in Siberia and somehow many people here will find a way to blame it on Trump.

This endless US identity politics just completely displaces people outside the US (and within the US) from the PPR and News threads.

It's just boring as beans to drag up the same one individual again and again and again.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:01 pm

Nades wrote:
As some have touched on earlier, PPR and many threads of the news section just turn into Trump bashing. A small family owned flour mill could explode in Siberia and somehow many people here will find a way to blame it on Trump.

This endless US identity politics just completely displaces people outside the US (and within the US) from the PPR and News threads.

It's just boring as beans to drag up the same one individual again and again and again.

How is that? I don't recall the story, or anyone blaming Trump for it.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Nades wrote:

It's a satirical analogy. Not a real story. The fact you asked "How is that?" implies such a story of said flour mill and people blaming trump for it's demise (albeit you being oblivious to it) is actually plausible to you?

Not taking a dig at you obviously, but this extremely entrenched, almost nonsensical "Yip Trump is to blame for everything" to the point of clearly being absurd is exactly what I'm on about.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:34 pm

But that is not the case. Nobody is pining things on Trump that he is not to blame for.

You seem to have this delusion that folks actually have a choice -and can pick and choose whether to speak of him or not. We dont have that luxury of picking and choosing.

All Americans are sick of Trump, and wish the era of Trump were in the forgotten past. But we are all still in the era of Trump- the only POTUS to try to steal an election and to stay in power after losing- and the only one steal carton loads of top secret documents, etc. And he could legally run again, and might win again. So love him or hate you cant ignore him because he is still a powerful public figure. And there are so many unprecedented things about Trump as POTUS that need to be sorted out - unlike any other once/possible future POTUS in American history.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But that is not the case. Nobody is pining things on Trump that he is not to blame for.

I don't think that's true at all, people have tried pinning all sorts of things on Trump that he didn't actually do, the whole Russian collusion thing being but the most flagrant example. It really makes no sense in light of the fact that there are so many legitimate things to blame Trump for, I don't know why anyone felt the need to make up fake ones.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:09 pm

Nades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Nades wrote:

It's a satirical analogy. Not a real story. The fact you asked "How is that?" implies such a story of said flour mill and people blaming trump for it's demise (albeit you being oblivious to it) is actually plausible to you?

Not taking a dig at you obviously, but this extremely entrenched, almost nonsensical "Yip Trump is to blame for everything" to the point of clearly being absurd is exactly what I'm on about.

Not at all. I was actually very skeptical of the claim, but didn't want to call you out for an untruth.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:11 pm

Dox47 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I don't think that's true at all, people have tried pinning all sorts of things on Trump that he didn't actually do, the whole Russian collusion thing being but the most flagrant example. It really makes no sense in light of the fact that there are so many legitimate things to blame Trump for, I don't know why anyone felt the need to make up fake ones.

The Russian collusion has never been disproven. Only the Republican controlled senate refused to take action out of loyalty to party and President over country and constitution.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

He single handily transformed the party of Mitt Romney ("Russia is our biggest enemy") to being pro Russian.

There is a lot of circumstantial evidence plain to all... for Trump/Moscow collusion. And supposedly there is ALSO a lot of hard evidence for it known to the American intelligence community thats kept secret for national security reasons. All six of America's top intelligence agency have asserted, and reaffirmed that American democracy was under Russian assault in 2016, and continues to be now. Trump always quacked, waddled, and quacked, like a Putin puppet. His failing businesses had been getting Russian money as loans for years.

Maybe Trump had a rare flash of intellect one day, and decided to buck his own GOP - and independently came to the conclusion that it was a good idea to f**k over the US (remove bases from Germany and south Korea. And to create discord and to weaken NATO) in ways that just HAPPENED to benefit Moscow- without Trump having been in actual collusion with Moscow. The fact that it all overjoyed Putin is just a coincidence. And maybe the fact that Trump believed Putin about intelligence over believing his own intelligence agencies is a just coincidence.

But maybe those arent just coincidences.

Come to think of it...that could explain Trump stealing top secret documents. Maybe Trump is hoarding the aforementioned hard evidence of his Russian collusion there in Mar-a-lago. Cant prove it, but that would be a possible big motivation for his current behavior.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 7:53 am

When you said orange man I thought the thread was about something else completely different. Lol

In memory of the late great Robbie Coltrane may he rest in peace.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 9:47 pm

I am loathed to defend Trump but
Here’s where Trump has been tough on Russia — and where he’s backed down

Quote:
The American president has certainly overseen blows to the Kremlin under his administration, but a tendency to contradict himself and occasionally backtrack has led to confusion over the direction of his foreign policy.

Indeed, some of the toughest sanctions in years have fallen on Russia’s elite under the Trump administration. Sanctions imposed over Russia’s invasion of Crimea in 2014 have not been lifted, Trump approved the sale of lethal weapons to Ukraine — something Barack Obama did not do — and he has ordered missiles fired at Syrian military sites, openly targeting strategic operations and allies of Russia.

But critics would argue that’s not enough, pointing to his delays implementing congressional sanctions and frequent praise of Putin’s leadership, as well as the reluctance to act on Moscow’s cyber aggression. They’ve also cited U.S. intelligence conclusions that the Kremlin meddled in the U.S. election in favor of Trump.

In August 2017, Trump signed into law the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act, or CAATSA, despite calling it “seriously flawed.” He then bypassed a congressionally mandated deadline in January to act on the bill and impose new sanctions on Russia for the election allegations.

Perhaps the most contentious issue for the relationship between Trump and Putin is the allegation of interference by the Kremlin in the 2016 presidential election — something the entire U.S. intelligence community has confirmed but Trump continues to dispute.

After Trump first spoke with Putin on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Vietnam last November, he told reporters that he did raise the topic of election meddling, but that the Russian leader denied the allegations.

“He said he didn’t meddle. He said he didn’t meddle. I asked him again. You can only ask so many times,” he told reporters aboard Air Force One after the event.

“Every time he sees me, he says, ‘I didn’t do that,’ Trump added. “And I believe — I really believe that when he tells me that, he means it.”

Sanctions were finally imposed on members of Russia’s elite and their business entities in April, after 13 Russians were indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice for “malicious cyber-enabled activities” in March.

Also in March, following the poisoning of former KGB agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter in the U.K., the Trump administration expelled 60 Russian diplomats from the U.S., although reports indicated he was not happy with the move.

In early July, Trump seemed to challenge the long-held U.S. policy of refusing to recognize Moscow’s Crimea annexation, saying only in response to questions on the issue: “We’ll see.” He also reportedly argued to officials at June’s G-7 summit that Crimea should belong to Russia because “everyone there speaks Russian.”

This would fly in the face of a recent official White House statement by press secretary Sarah Sanders, who said on July 2: “We do not recognize Russia’s attempt to annex Crimea. We agree to disagree with Russia on that front. And our Crimea sanctions against Russia will remain in place until Russia returns the peninsula to the Ukraine.”

n the wake of another chemical attack by the Assad regime on Syrian civilians, an enraged Trump took to Twitter to threaten the dictator — and his sponsor state, Russia.

“Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and ‘smart!’” he wrote on Twitter in April, lambasting the country for supporting Assad, whom he called a “gas killing animal.” Trump had fired 59 tomahawk missiles at Syrian airbases one year prior in response to a similar attack, attracting Russian condemnation.

Washington’s UN ambassador Nikki Haley promptly promised further sanctions against Russia for its refusal to condemn the chemical attack — only to be left hanging when Trump walked back his threat and no new sanctions were imposed.

His actions while "mixed" were not remarkably weaker than the few administrations prior to his.

It was his optics that made him seem like an aware ally of Russia. But at most it made him an unwitting dupe which is not a crime.

As far as the closing of bases that was him going in the direction the country was going, A Country tired of "forever wars" . From a 2022 perspective, it looks and was dumb as hell. But back then anybody expressing alarm about Russia was looked at as well as an alarmist. Does "the 80s called and they want their foreign policy back" ring a bell?

Kraichgauer wrote:
The Russian collusion has never been disproven.

So has the existence of Jewish Space Lasers.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman