When mental health issues have derailed your career progress

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm

Does anyone relate to having their career development seriously thrown off track due to mental health issues, possibly in turn stemming from (or coexisting with) physical health issues? If so, while in the process of working on becoming healthier, how did you/have you kept the feeling of being totally lost at sea career wise, and of performing FAR below what you feel should be your level, from discouraging you from making progress on your mental or other health? And, how did you minimize the bridges burned in your career field?

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2022, 5:32 pm

My mental health issue seems to be some kind of procrastination. I think about employment often. Wish I had a career. But I never make a decision and never make a move.

It has started to become apparent in other areas of my life. I've gone as far as I can go in my karate by just turning up. But from here on in I need to work for progress. But I realise that I might not. So I walk into class and walk out. Last night I turned up to the dojo. I put my gi on, walked into the bathroom. Cried. Washed my face. Walked out. Took my gi off and left before class started.

I see the problem, but just seem too paralysed to fix it. Can't seem to translate thought to action.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2022, 6:59 pm

Mental health has definitely gotten in the way of my career progress.

I had a low-level management position at a past job. The stress made me want to die. I ended up leaving for my own good. This was several years ago.

I vow to never do a management position ever again.

The saddest part is: At most jobs I've had, I stand out as being a good employee. Since leaving the company where I had a management position, I've had multiple bosses offer me promotions, which I had to turn down.

It's not that I'm incompetent. It's that I simply cannot cope with the stress of being in management.

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2022, 8:34 pm

Quote:
It's not that I'm incompetent. It's that I simply cannot cope with the stress of being in management.

SkinnyElephant,

Same here, I have been offered management positions but can't handle it either. I'll outperform others on many tasks but I can't handle managing people. 8O

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2022, 11:04 am

White_Feather wrote:
Quote:

SkinnyElephant,

Same here, I have been offered management positions but can't handle it either. I'll outperform others on many tasks but I can't handle managing people. 8O

For me, here's why I'm not able to do management:

-The stress of being in charge of a team/store/office. I prefer to only be in charge of my own work

-Being the go to for angry customers/clients. I don't do well with conflict. I prefer being able to push the angry ones onto a boss. When I was in management at a past job, sometimes an underling would even step in (without me asking) to deal with angry customers. The underling could tell I was in over my head (and I appreciated him)

-Having to take work home. I like being able to be totally off during my off time.