Asperger Syndrome's symptom of Low Frustration Tolerance

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Sep 2022, 3:13 am

This time, I'd like to talk to you about Asperger Syndrome's symptom of Low Frustration Tolerance.

For me, this symptom was very hard to deal with, and still is sometimes, but much less than in the past. The problem with this symptom is, the inability to deal with frustrating situations at workplace, at studying, social gatherings, social situations, and so on. These frustrating situations are dealt with easily by people without Asperger Syndrome, but people with Asperger Syndrome find it difficult or sometimes impossible.

Instead of writing alot this time, I thought to keep it short. So I'm gonna stop here.

Can you please share what you think about all this?

Thanks friends.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 4:26 am

Emotional dysregulation.
Perfectionism and expectations then it's not happening.
High IQ standards.
Anxiety.

In my own case, it's complicated.
Mine is all about emotional dysregulation than frustration tolerance itself.
I don't easily give up on things, I'm patient enough to get stuck at long periods of time...

... But in reality, not everyone has my patience. Not everyone has the same amount of frustration tolerance. Not everyone has the same standards as I do.

Either I'm the one with the high standards and no one's patient enough to wait for the result, or I'm the one with crappier standards solely for appeasing someone else's impatience but it'll displease them anyways.

My sense of urgency is at odds with my standards. My standards are at odds at anyone else's urgency.

I cannot afford perfectionism from where I live, even if there's no urgency. I especially cannot afford poor frustration tolerance from the very society I live and grew up in.

But sure.
I have a near constant low key frustration for years playing in the background. I just can't act on it. Not yet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:54 pm

I have a hard time regulating my emotions. I'm easily brought to tears. I tried to dull those emotions with coffee and the occasional energy drink. It's just not worth it. I'm in a mindfulness group right now. I wonder if I might have Stendhal's Syndrome, because I cry over things that I think are beautiful. One of my friends calls me Big Baby Schultz.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:44 pm

I get frustrated quite a lot. Easily, though? Not so much. I just have a lot to be frustrated about. I'm clumsy, live in too cramped an apartment, chose a frustrating career, have been depressed and lonely for decades, have people s**t on me continuously, a constant stream of executive dysfunction, etc.

I don't think of it as low tolerance. I think of it as no balance. I don't exactly have ways to recharge the way normal people do. I don't exactly have compensating good things happening. Who wouldn't be frustrated in a life like mine?

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2022, 2:17 am

Thanks for all the replies mates. Sorry for the late reply of mine, been busy with some serious real life issues. We wont talk about that now, its private matters. But, I'd like to explain a few more things about the Low Frustration Tolerance.

Well basically, yeah, its mostly caused by the syndrome itself, but some other things might cause it sometimes. There are people with personality disorders who can also experience low frustration tolerance. Other people with bad employment skills might experience it too, but most of these people have Autism Spectrum disorder or Asperger Syndrome, I think.

Let's just put it that way. Low frustration tolerance doesnt mean you cant be employed, it just means you need easy work, not hard work. Simple as that. Do you know whats hard work, and whats easy work? Yeah, if you do, then you probably know what I'm talking about now.

Overall, Low frustration tolerance can be a big problem, but the problem is smaller if you learn to find the work right for you. My work used to be very hard, but its easier now, so the problem is not big anymore.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:13 am

The word "frustration" does not translate into the language my family speaks, there is no equivalent, and there is no eloquent way to explain the concept. Thus, for years, and still, I have not been able to communicate my difficulty and irritation to my family members.