Vodka for curing/helping with High functioning Autism

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2022, 8:46 pm

Drinking helped me to relax some of the times.
Then later it caused more problems than it solved.
I was drinking for social reasons and the buzz and relaxing feeling.
The down side is its merely a short term solution and likely to hurt you in the long run.

The problem often times the alternative solutions for this issue are kind of hard to find.
For instance the ability to relax in social situations and even the ability to focus in my case was hilariously paradoxical.
Unfortunately it never really solved anything, besides the period I drank.
So no I don't think its OK solution.
Plus being constantly with alcohol is not very practical or safe.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:36 am

Drugs by lowering inhibitions make one act "more autistic" or "weird"

Our repetitive behaviors and tendencies can turn into an addiction.

I have always said not all people who partake will become addicts but all addicts thought they were one of those people who could partake responsibly.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2022, 2:47 am

Sorry for replying so late mates, serious real life issues lately. Thanks for all your replies of course, I've read most of it, and yeah, I agree with some of the things you said, but there are things I'd like to tell you, you might not know.

Well basically, There are side effects to medications and that includes Vodka and Alcohol. I agree with that. I also know, other than that, the side effects increase with increased drinking and thats a big problem too. However, the whole liver related problems caused by this seem kinda inaccurate to me. Actually, I've heard it can be healthy, and the liver actually can benefit from drinking sometimes. So overall, all the crap they say about liver issues isnt accurate and might be wrong sometimes too.

Other than the Liver, I think other than the Liver, there are benefits and that includes the decreased anxiety I've read about on the Internet. However, I think, the decreased anxiety effect might be smaller than people say. I still feel anxiety after it sometimes and it sometimes doesnt help, especially Vodka.

Overall, there are advantages and disadvantages but I think the disadvantages are bigger unfortunately.

When I go with friends we do this alot, but even then I try to avoid going crazy, because thats what my friends are, they're crazy most of the time with it, and its a big problem. Thats why they're not really "friends", they're just people I meet sometimes. But when they start talking s**t, we dont meet anymore. Thats the solution.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:55 am

My grandfather died of cirrhosis of the liver caused by drinking. I know other people who had cirrhosis caused by drinking.

Excessive alcohol leads to liver problems. No doubt about that.

Like smoking leads to lung cancer, etc.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:51 am

If you're going to cure something, cure meat.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My grandfather died of cirrhosis of the liver caused by drinking. I know other people who had cirrhosis caused by drinking.

Excessive alcohol leads to liver problems. No doubt about that.

Like smoking leads to lung cancer, etc.

This.
I ran into some old buddies from highschool at a party recently. Now all around retirement age. And learned that one of them (was druggie and drinker back when I knew him in college) "almost died a few years ago" from cirrhosis of the liver. Its a real condition. Just like my dad's smoking caused him to die of emphysema.

As Isabella said "you're now an autistic man. If you take up vodka you will just become an alcoholic autistic man". Two handicaps for the price of one.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:20 am

Noamx wrote:
I think, Vodka can be a good drink for curing/helping with high functioning autism, but I think if you use it too much, it can cause bad alcohol side effects. The problem is if you rely on it all the time, you gotta take a bottle with you to many places, and some places dont allow entering with a Vodka bottle in the bag. When I tried, they told me I cant enter and must throw it away or enter without it later. What do you think about all this in generally?

Anxieties are common with autism, and alcohol will make them worse later. You do get a quick relief, such as surviving social situations, but it destabilizes you in the long term.
Among spirits vodka is rather favorable with me, fewer unpleasant effects, such as the wrong sugars in tequila, or the heaviness from the brown spirits.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 12:19 pm

Very weird , had read somewhere recently as well that Vodka highly filtered has some sort of beneficial effects in
Dealing with Autism .(Nothing about dosages) . If I could find that link would post it . But Alcohol has so many adverse effects . :evil:
It can be used in tiny amounts to make tinctures of various herbs / essential oils and stuff . I think ? :nerdy:

where ever you go ,there you are

Kaioken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2022, 9:43 am

There are aspects of Autism that vodka would perhaps alleviate. For example, it might dampen sensory sensitivity and reduce anxiety in the short-term.

However, I wouldn’t advise self-medicating with alcohol. It’s a potentially dangerous path, leading to overwhelming anxiety in the long-term, along with many unwanted health effects (liver damage, weight gain, high blood pressure etc).

Vodka would also be difficult to use in every situation. It might be acceptable at a bar but would obviously be inappropriate in other stressful situations, like, for example, a job interview or a doctor’s appointment.

My biggest hope is CBD oil, mainly to deal with severe anxiety. I hope research comes out soon determining how effective it is, with recommendations for ideal dosages etc.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 1:16 pm

About CBD have found that mixes of hybrid marijuana. Have been reported to me by others on the Spectrum to help overreactive symptoms in a huge number of Social interactions , not just to have fun.
But have also found that classical music playing in headphones help a good bit after regular practice of using this method. In most all usually social interactions . Shopping, doctors office , stuff like that .

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 1:31 pm

If you must use alcohol and want to access social situations where it's prohibited, there are probably effective ways of imbibing it by stealth. But I strongly suspect you're playing with fire.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 1:56 pm

Alcohol isn't going to cure anything...taken to excess you might be pickled though.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2022, 9:02 pm

I drink too much. I have no illusions about it.

My rule is never to get drunk. But even with that rule, you can become an alcoholic.

I stick with light beer because if you drink too much, you get fat and my vanity causes me to stop for a while to lose weight.

Every now and then I drink vodka and act like you are in this post. At first its like, " damn this stuff makes me feel good and if you mix it right you can moderate it so you don't get intoxicated AND you don't get the calories from beer."

But it never fails, vodka gets me hooked on alcohol and I notice my alcohol cravings go up a lot.

The general rule of thumb is the higher the alcohol content, the more addictive it is. I can stop drinking light beer and not lose a night of sleep. If I am drinking vodka - even amounts that don't get me drunk - when I stop I get serious sleep issues and cold sweats.

No judgement man, I don't know if I can ever quit even with the consequences. The only way I can quit is if I have lots of pot, and currently I am not in a state where that is legal and I just "broke up" with my hookup.

I would say its probably medicating ADHD and not autism. For me, I love how alcohol shuts up my scatter brain - but heres the thing too much alcohol will make your brain more scattered the next day.

Kaioken

20 Apr 2023, 6:42 am

Also, some researchers say that higher functioning Autistic people are at higher risk of addiction than the general population.

Because Autistics struggle to break routines, a drinking routine will also be difficult to break. In essence, an Autistic’s addiction can be to the chemical/substance itself as well as the routine of ingesting that chemical/substance.

Therefore, Autistic people should think
very carefully before going down this road.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 6:55 am

Alcohol, again, is not a cure for autism.

It's more like a cope against anxiety or to loose inhibitions associated with anxiety.

It does not grant one social skills.
It grants excuses to do reckless or weird stuff however. :lol:

I'd take the vodka just for kicks. Turns out that I'm the hard drinking type.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2023, 8:00 am

Raleigh wrote:
I think you may be an alcoholic if you carry vodka around with you to ease autism symptoms.

Disagree.

Quote:
Alcohol, again, is not a cure for autism.

It is not a cure but it is a medicine. Its like one of those medicines that alleviates symptoms temporarily but doesn't permanently cure.