Vodka for curing/helping with High functioning Autism

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Sep 2022, 4:42 am

I think, Vodka can be a good drink for curing/helping with high functioning autism, but I think if you use it too much, it can cause bad alcohol side effects. The problem is if you rely on it all the time, you gotta take a bottle with you to many places, and some places dont allow entering with a Vodka bottle in the bag. When I tried, they told me I cant enter and must throw it away or enter without it later. What do you think about all this in generally?

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 4:51 am

I think you may be an alcoholic if you carry vodka around with you to ease autism symptoms.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 5:08 am

Raleigh wrote:
I think you may be an alcoholic if you carry vodka around with you to ease autism symptoms.

Bingo!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 5:18 am

What 'symptom of autism' would taking a gulp of vodka 'treat'?

Okay...you're out on the town and go into a night club with a lot of hawt chicks, and you get shy about talking to them (as both NT and AS guys often do), so you take a sip of beer to loosen up, and loose some inhibition. Folks do that.

And you feel that your shyness (Or introversion or however you conceive of it) is a symptom of your "autism", so you feel that you need something stronger than beer. So you drink straight vodka to get even more drunk. But that is NOT "treating your autism" with vodka as a "medicinal drug". Thats just being a boozer.

What if you went to a job interview, and you want to impress the interviewer that you have NT traits like salesmanship, and being a 'team player'? Are you going to take a gulp from your vodka flask before the interview?

I HOPE that you dont do that!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:42 am

I notice I become more socially intelligent after drinking. Someone here once posted some scientific stuff about alcohol blocking some chemical in the brain that causes autism.
So, until a better cure comes along I think I'll be drinking before any demanding situations.

That being said a lot of stuff like phone anxiety fades due to exposure/experience so that helps also.

I don't think I'm an alcoholic because I've had two cans of cider unopened in my room for a whole week.

Last edited by klanka on 17 Sep 2022, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:47 am

I can see how alcohol may help you to lose your inhibitions but I can't see how it can cure autism.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:08 am

Carrying a vodka bottle everywhere is impractical, not to mention an obvious sign of alcoholism. It's much more practical to carry something small and unobtrusive, like heroin.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 9:39 am

Idk I think vodka just gets you drunk.

Even so nothing wrong with having some here and there, but probably not a good idea to drink it so often you're carrying it around with you.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 10:54 am

It's a temporary crutch at best, but not sustainable.

Instead of being an autistic man, you'll become a drunk or alcoholic autistic man.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 12:20 pm

There is no medication or drug that cures autism. They may help the subsequent depression/anxiety/sensory issues from dealing with a mismatch world but they will not change how one thinks which is the underlying issue. The closest I can imagine that would is psychadelics or hallucinagens of some sort that have more long term effects though it's also kind of only a more long term bandage. (that just as the short term fixes can also go very wrong) Becoming more comfortable with your issues and just having good coping mechanisms/healthy lifestyle choices is a better solution than numbing things.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 8:23 pm

I don't go near alcohol. I don't like the taste and I don't need to be slowed down any more than I already am.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2022, 11:38 pm

klanka wrote:
I notice I become more socially intelligent after drinking. Someone here once posted some scientific stuff about alcohol blocking some chemical in the brain that causes autism.
So, until a better cure comes along I think I'll be drinking before any demanding situations.

And do you know where he posted that so people can check it for themselves. But lets presume that is indeed so, you still have to take in to account that after certain amounts of alcohol you will experience effects that will not that beneficial in a social setting. Except for maybe a party or bar; and then only up to a certain level.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 12:58 pm

Using alcohol everyday as a crutch is a slippery slope

Anyone who seriously thinks it’s a good idea is just dumb and their advice is dangerous

- George Bernie Shaw

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:46 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
Carrying a vodka bottle everywhere is impractical, not to mention an obvious sign of alcoholism. It's much more practical to carry something small and unobtrusive, like heroin.

:lmao: outstanding.

As to the op, I'm inclined to agree with what others here have said...it's a temporary crutch at best, not a solution. Further, it damn well could have no benefit or improvement beyond making you less aware of issues due to being buzzed while the issues remain. You know? The problem still exists underneath... It probably is best to find non alcohol related solutions. That would be infinitely more sustainable (and better for your overall health and well being) in the long run (plus none of that addiction mess and liver issues). Not that I'm hating on alcohol here, I'm rather a fan of the stuff, I just don't view it as a therapeutic tool. It's more of a recreational activity to me is all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:48 pm

Alcohol is a poor choice of anti-anxiety medication to self-prescribe, although it is among the easiest to access.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:22 am

Alcohol does not "cure" autism. All it does is create false illusions and turn people into blithering idiots. That's why places where alcohol is consumed has to have security that isn't afraid to physically chuck people out of that place because they're drunk and being violent and disgusting.

Of course, alcohol probably isn't bad when it's in small doses, but how many people actually take it in small doses?

I don't want my Asperger's to be cured. I want to live in a world that accepts it for what it is.