NYC paraprofessional said to have broken students arm

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:07 am

Queens public school staffer broke autistic student’s arm: notice of claim

Quote:
A staff member at a Queens public school for disabled kids broke an autistic boy’s arm while trying to snatch an iPad from him and then lied about how the child was injured, according to a new legal filing in Queens Supreme Court.

Administrators at the Robert E. Peary school in Ridgewood — a part of the city’s District 75 for students with significant disabilities — say the 13-year-old boy injured himself in a fall while running through a hallway, according to an Education Department incident report reviewed by the Daily News.

But the boy’s mother, Joan Aslarona, said her son has consistently given a very different account — claiming a paraprofessional fractured his arm after a conflict over the boy continuing to use his tablet after electronics time ended, according to the court papers.

The paraprofessional was attempting to wrest electronic devices away from my son, restrain him, punish him, use corporal punishment,” Aslarona said in an affidavit as part of the filing.

The affidavit further claims that doctors at Mt. Sinai examined the boy’s injury and “concluded that [he] suffered a badly fractured left humerus, and could not have sustained his injuries in a mere fall.”

Doctors reported the injury to law enforcement, medical records show, and the NYPD has confirmed that the police opened an investigation, which is ongoing.

But five months after the incident, Aslarona said she’s been met mostly with silence from the school and from authorities — and said the legal maneuver is a final attempt to force some answers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman