Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 12:28 pm

Too bad they're not armed.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 12:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Go Iranians, I am glad they are protesting that BS, and think they should keep it up. Sounds like the populace is getting fed up with the archaic laws that make it ok to murder women because they didn't cover their hair properly.

Instead of hailing « Go Iranians »…. you Democrat Americans should demand President Biden: to STOP the nuclear deal negotiations NOW.

Otherwise you are contributing in strengthening the brutal regime, like your party has been doing so far; and your virtual support for Iranian women would be useless. It means nothing.

You may not be aware of this, but the Democrat’s Middle eastern policy, has always leaning to Iran way more than the Republics (since Obama); since your party took office and they have been rewarding the Iranian regime with recognition, resuming the negotiations and more, more promises of elevating the sanctions and recently honoring their president to visit NYC for human rights talk to take stage and talk to the world… seriously; they have even whitelisted the Houthis militia. And the US-allies Arabs relationship worsened to a new low, for the sake of the nuclear deal with Iran.

And ever since that new US foreign policy, the Iranian regime is feeling unchallenged and unchecked; and has been expanding its grip on Lebanon, Iraq and Yemen… and even on its own people. And elevating the sanctions without any regime change would lead to a new dark age here.

At least Trump was an effective fearmonger against them.

I am sorry, but I view your party as accomplices with the Iranian regime.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 23 Sep 2022, 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 1:40 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Too bad they're not armed.

Yes, only an armed struggle can overthrow them.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 1:59 pm

magz wrote:
Can't hijab be a choice?

It is a choice for some. Others don't have the luxury of choosing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:07 pm

In fundamentalist Islamic countries, it's not a choice.

In most Islamic countries, though, they don't get really fanatical about it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Sep 2022, 2:33 pm

I was warned about "conservative" Eastern Turkey but it turned out difficulty in buying alcohol was the only noticeable sign of it. And muezzins singing five times a day while everyone were ignoring them.
Women wore long trousers and T-shirts, around half of them wore hijab, mostly the older half.
That turned out not bad from my point of view. Liveable.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:34 pm

Where_am_I wrote:
magz wrote:
Can't hijab be a choice?

It is a choice for some. Others don't have the luxury of choosing.

Some countries enforced by Law like Iran and Saudi Arabia.

In some muslim families it is forced by family, even in countries where it is not obligatory.

I knew atheist women who had to keep wearing hijab.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:50 pm

magz wrote:
I was warned about "conservative" Eastern Turkey but it turned out difficulty in buying alcohol was the only noticeable sign of it. And muezzins singing five times a day while everyone were ignoring them.
Women wore long trousers and T-shirts, around half of them wore hijab, mostly the older half.
That turned out not bad from my point of view. Liveable.

Turkey’s laws are secular.

Thanks to Ataturk’s legacy of course, not Erdogan.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 5:33 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Yes, only an armed struggle can overthrow them.

And quickly too, secret police don't work very well when they get shot every time they kick down a door, kinda takes away from their mystique and menace.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 4:45 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Go Iranians, I am glad they are protesting that BS, and think they should keep it up. Sounds like the populace is getting fed up with the archaic laws that make it ok to murder women because they didn't cover their hair properly.

Instead of hailing « Go Iranians »…. you Democrat Americans should demand President Biden: to STOP the nuclear deal negotiations NOW.

Otherwise you are contributing in strengthening the brutal regime, like your party has been doing so far; and your virtual support for Iranian women would be useless. It means nothing.

You may not be aware of this, but the Democrat’s Middle eastern policy, has always leaning to Iran way more than the Republics (since Obama); since your party took office and they have been rewarding the Iranian regime with recognition, resuming the negotiations and more, more promises of elevating the sanctions and recently honoring their president to visit NYC for human rights talk to take stage and talk to the world… seriously; they have even whitelisted the Houthis militia. And the US-allies Arabs relationship worsened to a new low, for the sake of the nuclear deal with Iran.

And ever since that new US foreign policy, the Iranian regime is feeling unchallenged and unchecked; and has been expanding its grip on Lebanon, Iraq and Yemen… and even on its own people. And elevating the sanctions without any regime change would lead to a new dark age here.

It is not my party, as I am not a democrat...but what you describe is a fair criticism of the democratic party. That said I doubt the republican party has that much better of a middle east policy....they certainly do not care about the freedom of people there.

Either way I personally agree with the protestors in Iran and hope they keep up the good work. I know in the grand scheme of things that means little but still wanted to express I agree with them, don't see the harm in that.

I mean where things really that much better for women there while we had trump as president, and they just suddenly get more strict on hijabs once biden was elected here? Maybe Trump was more fear mongery in a way Iran would not threaten the U.S but I doubt that means the government there was treating its own people any better while we had trump as president. I do not think we should ally with Iran at all, but that kind of thing is not left up for the people here to vote on regardless of if the democrats or republicans are running the show.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 5:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

It is not my party, as I am not a democrat...but what you describe is a fair criticism of the democratic party. That said I doubt the republican party has that much better of a middle east policy....they certainly do not care about the freedom of people there.

Either way I personally agree with the protestors in Iran and hope they keep up the good work. I know in the grand scheme of things that means little but still wanted to express I agree with them.

I mean where things really that much better for women there while we had trump as president, and they just suddenly get more strict on hijabs once biden was elected here? Maybe Trump was more fear mongery in a way Iran would not threaten the U.S but I doubt that means the government there was treating its own people any better while we had trump as president. I do not think we should ally with Iran at all, but that kind of thing is not left up for the people here to vote on regardless of if the democrats or republicans are running the show.

Well... the Middleast is now in the grip of a regional "cold war", much like the old global cold war between the US and the USSR.

In the middle east the two opposing sides are Iran (and its proxies and allies), and Saudia Arabia. The later being allied to Israel (though neither Israel, nor Saudi Arabia like to talk about their new de facto alliance).

Obama tried to be even handed between both sides. Trump tossed that policy for a thoroughly pro Saudi/pro Israel policy.

The Saudies oppress their women at least as much as does the Iranian regime, they murder journalists with hacksaws, execute folks with scimitars, and unlike Iran - theyre an ancient style absolute monarchy, and they dont even pretend to be democratic (at least Iran has elections, and an executive, and a legislative branch of govt).

So both sides are rather revolting to the outsider.

But Iran is the aggressor of the two- so much so that even Israel's Arab neighbors and traditional enemies are ...running to Israel's arms out of common fear of Iran and its proxies like Hezbollah.

And are singing "embrace me...you sweet embraceable Jew".

Half of Iran's population has long yearned to be rid of the regime.

And that proportion is probably growing. So its not impossible that true democracy could break out there.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 1:49 pm

How to make the pro-regime protests so big?
Simple, by creating clones. lol

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2022, 2:29 am

It's important that men are protesting.
Solidarity is a powerful force in society.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>