Did you have trouble with wearing masks? (not social masks)

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How well were you able to wear a cloth mask over the last few years?
I had no issue wearing a cloth mask. 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
I had great issue wearing a cloth mask predominantly sensory related. (having fabric on your face) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I wore it sometimes and it bothered me off and on. 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
It caused me severe mental distressed up to and including meltdowns. 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
I did not wear a mask during this time. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 11:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I notice most of these are written in past tense.
I still wear a mask in public.
I think I've only gone without about two or three times ever.

I don't like when they fog up my glasses.

That's because the mask mandatory had been uplifted when enough people got vaccinated.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 11:13 pm

League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I notice most of these are written in past tense.
I still wear a mask in public.
I think I've only gone without about two or three times ever.

I don't like when they fog up my glasses.

That's because the mask mandatory had been uplifted when enough people got vaccinated.

Not here.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 7:59 am

Our intent is to get our next COVID booster today. This will be our third booster shot. We'll get it at the hospital where we get most of our medical care and they still require masks. Our understanding is they have updated-for-omicron booster shots available.

Otherwise, the mask requirements here have been discontinued in most places here. I still choose to minimize my trips away from home and when away from home I still choose to wear a mask.

I'm comfortably retired and a strong MBTI INTJ so staying isolated at home comes very easily for me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 9:12 am

I very rarely had to wear a Covid mask. When I did, it wasn't for long and I didn't have much of a physical problem with it. I anticipated the discomfort from the strings that go round the ears, and used a piece of a wooden cocktail stick to fasten the strings behind my head.

But I've always suspected that masks can do more harm than good from a Covid point of view. That was the opinion of the health professionals until they did a suspicious U-turn later on. Before that, they'd pointed out that masks don't actually protect you very much, that they can give a false sense of security, that they can become damp and create a good environment for infection, that they can cause the user to touch their face more often, and that safely handling a mask is difficult and many people get it wrong.

So I began to feel that if people were being told to wear masks in a particular place, then the best thing would be not to go there, because they were admitting there was a risk and because any help from a mask would be pretty marginal.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 2:09 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I very rarely had to wear a Covid mask. When I did, it wasn't for long and I didn't have much of a physical problem with it. I anticipated the discomfort from the strings that go round the ears, and used a piece of a wooden cocktail stick to fasten the strings behind my head.

But I've always suspected that masks can do more harm than good from a Covid point of view. That was the opinion of the health professionals until they did a suspicious U-turn later on. Before that, they'd pointed out that masks don't actually protect you very much, that they can give a false sense of security, that they can become damp and create a good environment for infection, that they can cause the user to touch their face more often, and that safely handling a mask is difficult and many people get it wrong.

So I began to feel that if people were being told to wear masks in a particular place, then the best thing would be not to go there, because they were admitting there was a risk and because any help from a mask would be pretty marginal.

Masks protect other people, not the one wearing them.

Think of a doctor performing surgery. They wear a mask to protect the patient, not themselves.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:33 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Think of a doctor performing surgery. They wear a mask to protect the patient, not themselves.

Yes there is that angle to it. Apart from rare excursions I had no contact with people. Groceries were done by kerbside pickup, even wore dispo gloves when fuelling the car, and then put the debit card to a plastic bag for disinfecting with soap when I got home. So I figured I was very unlikely to have Covid on those few days when I was indoors with people. Of course it could be very different for a different person with a different pattern of movement, presenting a bigger risk to others, who was coughing, sneezing, or using what they called "pressured speech."

My policy with masks was to wear one if the place had that as a rule, and otherwise not to. I was surprised how polarised and political the public debate became.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:42 am

Quote:

Yes well I'm glad I learnt that after quitting my job as a nurse at a care home because whenever norovirus went around I always made sure to wear a facemask and I thought it was protecting me (also it was advised by the health advisor team) - when all the time it wasn't protecting me at all, only everyone else. But the elderly residents weren't wearing a mask because they understandably didn't have to, and they were the ones that were sick, so the staff wearing facemasks was a waste of time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:07 am

Masks protect you....but they also protect others, too.

What Isabella meant was that it would have been selfish if you only used masks to protect yourself, and didn't think about others.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Masks protect you....but they also protect others, too.

What Isabella meant was that it would have been selfish if you only used masks to protect yourself, and didn't think about others.

No, I meant that masks protect others. It would have been selfish of me to skip wearing masks for my own comfort, when I might have been an asymptomatic carrier who could make others sick.

Lockdown, social distancing, washing my hands, disinfecting surfaces, using air purifiers, and showering / washing my clothes after every outside exposure was the best way to keep me safe.

I went 2.5 years without even knowing anyone who had Covid. I was the first person I know to get it. It only happened because someone visited my house after going to a large social event.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:28 pm

We were in crowds for the first time in 2 years when we were on vacation last week, and it stressed me out a bit because nobody but us were wearing masks. Does this mean we're going to catch covid now?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:36 pm

It's certainly not definite. I had COVID, and my wife didn't pick it up from me.

Do you have access to home testing?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's certainly not definite. I had COVID, and my wife didn't pick it up from me.

Do you have access to home testing?

I do but apparently they're not reliable. Both me and my boyfriend have had 3 shots, and my boyfriend is having his forth one this week. I haven't been invited for my forth one yet. I'm not afraid of the side effects this time because being unwell gives me an excuse to be in bed and sleep.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 4:40 pm

Joe90 wrote:
We were in crowds for the first time in 2 years when we were on vacation last week, and it stressed me out a bit because nobody but us were wearing masks. Does this mean we're going to catch covid now?

The number of new cases per day has been pretty low for the past few weeks, so if your vacation was in the UK, the risk of catching Covid would have been a lot less than it used to be. And being vaccinated would help a lot too. So I'd think that you're not in much danger.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2022, 5:09 pm

I only wear masks when it's required. I have problems wearing non cloth masks due to my facial shape structure. Non cloth masks poke my eyes when my nose is covered. Some places like the hospital do not allow cloth masks. It's also a little harder for me to breath when I'm wearing masks regardless of if they're cloth or not. I have a low exzersion tolerance & get out of breath easilly when I'm physically active. I really need to start looking for a job soon cuz we have lots of debt that gets worse & worse due to inflation & I'm worried that the jobs I can do & get will have mask requirements. My 1st job was a dish-washer & the two jobs I had after were doing custodial things in retail.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:21 pm

Mask would bother me a lot but I wore them anyway, I'm planning to wear them again by the end of September when covid or influnza or monkey pox or whatever horrors strike. Maybe this time it'll be the plague. Bring out your dead! :skull:

I read that even a cold can lead to deadly complications such sepsis. And pneumonia, of course. But I think that's mostly in people who are elderly or have immunity disorders. But you could be incubating the virus and not know you have it yet, and end up giving it to someone with those conditions, and then they die and you basically murdered them. So wear your masks and wash your hands, even if you feel fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:35 pm

It could be worse - they could come with clothing tags sewn solid into the seams! Eewwww!!