Did you have trouble with wearing masks? (not social masks)

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How well were you able to wear a cloth mask over the last few years?
I had no issue wearing a cloth mask. 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
I had great issue wearing a cloth mask predominantly sensory related. (having fabric on your face) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I wore it sometimes and it bothered me off and on. 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
It caused me severe mental distressed up to and including meltdowns. 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
I did not wear a mask during this time. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:49 pm

I was curious if anyone had any difficulty with the wearing of masks during the co vid?

I have switched jobs 3 times to not wear them.

I only wear them when I have to go to the doctors because the insurance said they refuse to right exemption for ANY reason.

Sad how this "society" likes to pretend to be accommodating while not actually doing so in so many situations. Only catering to the in crowds and what is socially acceptable.

There is the sensory of having the fabric on your face, the claustrophobia, and not to mention they have done studies that showed wearing masks increases agitation/anger.

(given our sensitivity to clothing it seems a natural thing for us not to do well with....)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:55 pm

I had no trouble wearing a mask. I felt I could mime to myself while making decisions when in public, as having ADHD my thoughts can get easily distracted and jumbled up, but when mutely discussing thoughts with myself I feel I can think clearer, without people knowing. I have a fear of being stared at or scrutinized in public so I don't want people seeing me miming my thoughts. I do wish it was more socially acceptable to mime your thoughts to yourself.

But now wearing a mask makes people stare so I can no longer wear a mask unless I don't mind being stared at, but I hate being stared at.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:02 pm

It was sometimes a nuisance.

Sometimes, I would have slight trouble breathing.

Other times, I would get a cut in the back of my left ear.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2022, 2:18 pm

We preferred the cloth ones, but we've been using n95s & korean 94s since the mandates & store enforcement stopped. We've been sick less since continuing some of our new-for-covid behaviors. And I trust my fellow citizens about as far as I could throw them.

We caught covid earlier this year when we got a little lax. Don't want that again.

Also, I kind of enjoy showing solidarity with those who are still wearing masks.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:18 pm

2,4 and 5... Could not physically breathe as would instantly hold my breath no matter how I tried to get over it. I would start to lose conciousness through not breathing, apart from the claustrobic panic effect.

Never mind. I just avoided public places. Also felt stressed when I saw others wearing masks as it would make me feel the same panic so I avoided public places as was easier, but not sure if I am on the spectrum because I am not assessed yet.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:29 pm

It was somewhat unpleasant, but manageable.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:32 pm

None of those options apply to me as I never used a cloth mask. I have only used actual respiratory protection for covid in the form of non-medical N95s. Most of my issues with mask wearing have been from other people harassing me for wearing a mask. They are certainly not comfortable, especially the longer you wear them, but it's doable and something I have been trained in. I do have more trouble when I am having issues with my dysautonomia and feeling like I am about to pass out. Then, it feels like it is hard to breathe and may well contribute to lightheadedness.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:35 pm

I am fine wearing the mask. If I know I'll be getting out of the car I put a mask on before I go out the front door and do not remove it until I am back in the house. The one complication is I find I have to do a very thorough job of blowing my nose before I put the mask on...typically I'll blow my nose several times until it feels very clear.

I'm hoping the mask provides protection against respiratory infections, including COVID. It also might be helping with allergies.

Note to self: Remove mask before trying to eat anything.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 2:59 pm

I had troubles with them for sensory reasons. I had to try different ones until I got cloth and I eventually got used to the regular masks too. Once it became mandatory, I was forced to wear or get written up and eventually fired and my income and having no anxiety of being jobless was more important than my comfort so I wore the masks and got used to them.

One good thing about masks was they covered my mouth so it hid the ugly smile lines around my mouth that looked like wrinkles. I fixed those suckers with filler.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 5:36 pm

I do.

Fogging glasses and related to chronic breathing issues/sneezing (trigger unknown -- nonallergic/internal, facemasks doesn't 'protect' and prevent symptoms).
No sensory related issues.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

I notice most of these are written in past tense.
I still wear a mask in public.
I think I've only gone without about two or three times ever.

I don't like when they fog up my glasses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 7:58 pm

I have a very hard time wearing a mask. I find it hard to breath with one. I also have a hard time getting others to understand what I'm saying. I don't wear a mask unless I'm inside the clubhouse.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 8:19 pm

I have always worn dust masks when they might save me a coughing fit later. They need modification to avoid fogging my glasses in frigid weather. However, my main issue is that when I put on a mask, I have to take off a sweater. I've had one in my survival kit for a long time because it is so much more compact than a sweater.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 8:32 pm

I've had no issue wearing a mask. I like it because no one can see like half of my face. I am not great at making facial expressions so I don't have to worry about that when I wear one.

I also wear one all day, everyday at work. Almost everyone in my department does because the lint from all of the clothes gets in our noses + the steam from some of the clothes dries out our skin. When I first started working there I'd blow my nose after work and whatever came out of my nose had bits of lint, so I started wearing a mask. :eew: The skin on my face drying out also messed with my sensory issues.

It's kind of bad though because I've become reliant on wearing a mask in public, and I now feel really uncomfortable and anxious when I don't wear one and have to interact with people.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 8:35 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I've had no issue wearing a mask. I like it because no one can see like half of my face. I am not great at making facial expressions so I don't have to worry about that when I wear one.

It's kind of bad though because I've become reliant on wearing a mask in public, and I now feel really uncomfortable and anxious when I don't wear one and have to interact with people.

I love hiding myself and my flat affect, too.
It's the closest I can get to being invisible.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 9:00 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I love hiding myself and my flat affect, too.
It's the closest I can get to being invisible.

I'm not entirely sure what about my facial expressions that people find weird, but sometimes people react odd or don't seem to understand how I'm feeling when I make facial expressions. Wearing a mask makes people not act like that so I feel more comfortable interacting with them. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who likes wearing them for that reason.