Did you have trouble with wearing masks? (not social masks)

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How well were you able to wear a cloth mask over the last few years?
I had no issue wearing a cloth mask. 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
I had great issue wearing a cloth mask predominantly sensory related. (having fabric on your face) 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I wore it sometimes and it bothered me off and on. 37%  37%  [ 11 ]
It caused me severe mental distressed up to and including meltdowns. 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
I did not wear a mask during this time. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:22 pm

I find home tests to be reliable. Not 100%, of course....but pretty reliable.

My home test certainly gave me a VERY clear positive result.....a no doubter!

I trust my subsequent negative result because of this.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2022, 7:25 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I read that even a cold can lead to deadly complications such sepsis. And pneumonia, of course. But I think that's mostly in people who are elderly or have immunity disorders. But you could be incubating the virus and not know you have it yet, and end up giving it to someone with those conditions, and then they die and you basically murdered them. So wear your masks and wash your hands, even if you feel fine.
I believe that people deserve the right & freedom to make their own choices regrading their personal health. The people who are worried about viruses deserve the right to wear a mask, practice social distanceing, & should be able to get free health care if they chose to do so. The people who do not like wearing masks deserve the right & freedom to not wear one if they chose. It's pathetic that people want to force their own beleifs & way of life onto each other instead of letting people live how they want to live in peace. It's like how NTs bully Aspies for not being normal & Aspies thinking that they are superior to NTs & that Aspies should run the world.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 9:53 pm

Guess I should have assumed all of the branch covidians would use this opportunity to virtue signal.

This was not to debate the effectiveness of masks (they do nothing basically- at best they have a 1-2% effectiveness rate which is abysmal) and strictly to talk of any issues an autistic person might have with wearing a mask. Try and get a severely autistic person to wear one- none of your virtue signalling will have an effect.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:24 pm

I'm not sure what a branch covidian is.
Masks were required where I am for over two years.
There wasn't any personal choice involved.
It was the law.
Most places still require them now.

Also, my child could have died from early Covid.
I had to take the rules very seriously and hoped others did too.
It's not virtue signalling to prefer my child stay alive.

Sensory:
I wear six blindfolds to sleep, and I wear glasses 24/7.
I'm used to the sensation of having stuff around my head / behind my ears.
I don't love breathing in masks but it's not the end of the world.

Many of us with ASD like not having to use / read facial expressions.
That's been a great trade-off for any sensory discomfort.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:53 pm

I can't wait until I no longer have to wear a mask at my clubhouse.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:31 pm

I forgot to mention I had to sleep in one of these for several months for apnea.
I was supposed to use it for the rest of my life, but it gave me meltdowns.
It was even worse because I needed blindfolds along with it.

I guess it's all relative when we determine what our sensory tolerance is.

Not trying to virtue signal, but honestly - maybe that's why N95s weren't so bad.

I can't answer the poll because my option isn't there.

I would say "They're still required most places I go. They bother me sometimes."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:46 am

Fortunately for me, I find the KN95's less uncomfortable than the cloth ones. The KN95's are snug. The cloth ones were always slipping down defeating the purpose.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I forgot to mention I had to sleep in one of these for several months for apnea.
I was supposed to use it for the rest of my life, but it gave me meltdowns.
It was even worse because I needed blindfolds along with it.

I guess it's all relative when we determine what our sensory tolerance is.

Not trying to virtue signal, but honestly - maybe that's why N95s weren't so bad.

I can't answer the poll because my option isn't there.

I would say "They're still required most places I go. They bother me sometimes."

I guess that's true- the more someone does something the less they notice themselves doing it, that's part of what some anxiety therapy techniques do is slow but steady exposure until you are desensitized. For me though I still get panic attacks wearing them, also lifting heavy boxes for the military base with mask on made me out of breath and dizzy. (the tighter masks made the breath issues worse while the looser ones were always falling down or fogging up glasses) I hope that you have more freedom in the future- what you choose to wear or not wear should be a personal choice. I would also suggest looking at any lifestyle changes that can help your medical problems- the trend in modern medicine is to focus on keeping patients in the office getting treatments rather than getting to the underlying issues which are usually diet, lack of movement, or some other sort of body stressor causing the issues. (not your doctor but the medical community often misses the obvious though perhaps you have already considered)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 1:44 pm

People should make decisions about their own health but not other people's health.

COVID is contagious. It is slowed down but not stopped by vaccines. It is slowed down but not stopped by masks and other precautions. And it seems some people's choices regarding their "personal" health was to not take precautions, then catch it, spread it, and then seek medical care for it. That medical care cost massive quantities of money...for society. And, in the U.S., some people who had a medical problem other than COVID ended up dead because they couldn't get into hospitals that were full of COVID patients.

We've made good progress against COVID but it is still attacking us.

I'm fine with people making decisions regarding their own health, but I don't like the thought that their decisions could be bad for my health.

And I'm personally hoping wearing masks will become more common. In part due to COVID. They also help slow the spread of other airborne diseases; I know I've had fewer respiratory infections since I started wearing a mask. They also seem to help with allergies. And from what I see on TV there are some parts of the world where, even before COVID, they thought it was perfectly reasonable to wear a mask when you were out on the city streets.

Some people cannot get vaccines and some cannot wear a mask. But the more that do the better for us all.

And even the medical profession can't make fully-informed decisions on the health implications of COVID.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:59 am

Double Retired wrote:
And it seems some people's choices regarding their "personal" health was to not take precautions, then catch it, spread it, and then seek medical care for it. That medical care cost massive quantities of money...for society. And, in the U.S., some people who had a medical problem other than COVID ended up dead because they couldn't get into hospitals that were full of COVID patients.

In the UK there's still a huge backlog of non-Covid work for the NHS. That includes cancer screening, so I'm sure a lot of people have died and will continue to die from such indirect results of the pandemic. Generally speaking the UK public were probably more compliant with the rules than the USA public, as there wasn't so much of this "Covid is a myth" nonsense going on. The main antagonist to keeping the infection rate down was business interests and economic concerns. They were so worried about the hospitality sector that they had an "eat out to help out" scheme where the gov subsidised restaurant meals by 50%. Masks and other precautions were part of that scheme, but I heard that it made the infection rate worse anyway.

The ethics of wearing a mask aren't clear cut because the increased probability of harming somebody by not wearing a mask is hard to calculate for a given instance. And there's a surprisingly common belief that if the gov doesn't have a law about it, you can safely do as you like. Mask-wearing is rare in the UK now. The gov has "privatised" the matter by saying that it was up to the owner of the business concerned. Most businesses don't have a mask rule.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2022, 10:36 pm

I basically refused to wear a face mask the whole pandemic, except for the first month or two, despite the mandates.
Couldn’t breath properly, it gave me a sore throat, I found it hard to articulate myself and understand others speaking in face masks.
I got covid in March this year, unvaccinated with only hand washing as prevention. Pretty happy to say it wasn’t disastrous.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:28 am

chaosmos wrote:
I basically refused to wear a face mask the whole pandemic, except for the first month or two, despite the mandates.
Couldn’t breath properly, it gave me a sore throat, I found it hard to articulate myself and understand others speaking in face masks.
I got covid in March this year, unvaccinated with only hand washing as prevention. Pretty happy to say it wasn’t disastrous.

I have a speech impediment anyways, so when I wear a mask it is hard for others to understand me. I am touch sensitive from the neck up. But I still wear them in indoor public places. I put it on when I go inside and take it off as soon as I get outside. I am an outlier in this way. The few people left still wearing masks that I see wear them indoors and outdoors.

I have either not gotten COVID or gotten it asymptomatic. Glad your COVID was not a disaster.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:29 am

chaosmos wrote:

I have a speech impediment anyways, so when I wear a mask it is hard for others to understand me. I am touch sensitive from the neck up. But I still wear them in indoor public places. I put it on when I go inside and take it off as soon as I get outside. I am an outlier in this way. The few people left still wearing masks that I see wear them indoors and outdoors.

I have either not gotten COVID or gotten it asymptomatic. Glad your COVID was not a disaster.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 8:27 am

I never had an issue with it but I wouldn't wanna go back to it either.

I suppose it was OK in the winter time but it gets too warm for me in the summer. I like to feel the air around my nose.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 9:48 am

I don't wear one often outside of work and doctors offices now. I sometimes want to and occasionally do, though I usually go to the store or whatever after work and I only have a clean mask meant for work in my pocket, so I don't always wear it. I have been boostered though and don't interact with anyone at risk for severe illness w/ COVID. If I did I would wear a mask all the time in public.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 2:31 pm

nick007 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I read that even a cold can lead to deadly complications such sepsis. And pneumonia, of course. But I think that's mostly in people who are elderly or have immunity disorders. But you could be incubating the virus and not know you have it yet, and end up giving it to someone with those conditions, and then they die and you basically murdered them. So wear your masks and wash your hands, even if you feel fine.
I believe that people deserve the right & freedom to make their own choices regrading their personal health. The people who are worried about viruses deserve the right to wear a mask, practice social distanceing, & should be able to get free health care if they chose to do so. The people who do not like wearing masks deserve the right & freedom to not wear one if they chose. It's pathetic that people want to force their own beleifs & way of life onto each other instead of letting people live how they want to live in peace. It's like how NTs bully Aspies for not being normal & Aspies thinking that they are superior to NTs & that Aspies should run the world.

You're not asking for the right to make choices regarding your personal health. You're asking for the right to make choices regarding my personal health. If you don't want to mask, stay TF away from people so you're not forcing them to be exposed to risks they haven't consented to. Don't whine that people are mad about you willfully and selfishly endangering them.