Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 9:20 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/18/politics/biden-pandemic-60-minutes/index.html

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 9:44 pm

Any wonder if it'll come back 11/10/2022? Fuel prices could shift as well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:27 pm

At some point it has to move from pandemic to endemic. Some experts say we're there; others think not. People certainly are living life as if its endemic.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:29 pm

Sounds good to me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:33 pm

The pandemic may be over, but the virus is still out there. Be careful, folks!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:45 pm

Oh, well...uh... Mission accomplished‽

I definitely trust his judgement on covid... :roll:

He's had it how many times at this point?

Yeah, I think I will trust my own judgement and training.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 10:48 pm

I'm at least glad he's not taking lead from Xi on public health and economic policy for what it's worth.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:58 am

Critics flood Twitter after Biden declares COVID-19 pandemic is over: 'Irresponsible and misleading'

Quote:
The president's words triggered criticism over his COVID emergency power usage, mask-wearing and ongoing mask and vaccine mandates across the U.S., with conservatives slamming his alleged overreaching power and leftists criticizing the "irresponsible" claim.

"Left wingers are going to be furious at him for this, but this is also interesting because less than a month ago he justified canceling a trillion dollars in student loans by citing his covid emergency powers," OutKick founder Clay Travis tweeted late Sunday.

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., offered a similar critique, writing, "If ‘the pandemic is over’ as Biden says, then all of the President's emergency powers predicated on a pandemic, all COVID vax mandates, the emergency powers of every governor, Emergency Use Authorizations, and the PREP act should all be voided tomorrow."

Biden also garnered criticism for choosing to mask up in recent weeks, a move contradicting his claim.

Other conservative critics asked why emergency orders are still in effect in several U.S. states, children are still being masked in public schools and unvaccinated children are prohibited from playing sports in certain areas if the pandemic is over.

Left-leaning critics, frustrated by Biden's alleged attempts to gloss over the dangers of COVID-19, tweeted their outrage as well.

Dr. Lucky Tran, a science communicator affiliated with Columbia University, wrote, "After complaining for two years that it's the ‘pandemic of the unvaccinated,’ the President did maybe the single worst thing anyone could do to lower vaccination rates: prematurely declare the pandemic is over."

Tran, in a separate tweet, countered Biden's claim with data from Johns Hopkins University showcasing an incline in COVID-19 deaths over the last 12 months.

MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan voiced his disdain with the claim as well, writing, "One of the (many) reasons [people] are not wearing masks is because people like Biden keep (falsely) telling them the pandemic is over."

Epidemiologist Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding wrote on Monday that the end of the pandemic is "not even close," adding that "evolution of new virus variants [is] not done yet," and "transmission is still very high" among others while activist and former Ohio state senator Nina Turner called the president's claims "highly irresponsible and misleading."

Yes it was irresponsible, he is the President etc, etc but it does not matter what he any President or any Epidemiologist says. The general public has thrown in the towel and decided the costs in lives and impairments is less than the cost of forever mitigation measures. All we can do at this point is hope they are right and make our own decisions based on decreasing and less accurate information.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2022, 12:36 pm

A president is not the one to announce that.
Epidemologists are.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 2:05 pm

Always has been.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 2:09 pm

I just got over a five-day case of COVID.

I'm lucky I only got "cold-like" symptoms.

Most healthy people will only get a cold or flu-like thing from this virus-----but there are some who are immunocompromised, or not sufficiently vaccinated, who might get a relatively severe illness out of this. So we still have to take some precautions with those folks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:32 pm

I'm very skeptical, after all it's Biden who said it.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:56 pm

My uncle told me right before Biden became president that Biden will just keep dragging COVID on and on, and yet here he is declaring the pandemic over. Not to mention this is long after there have been much COVID-related restrictions anyway.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 12:56 am

He NO doctor.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just got over a five-day case of COVID.

I'm lucky I only got "cold-like" symptoms.

Most healthy people will only get a cold or flu-like thing from this virus-----but there are some who are immunocompromised, or not sufficiently vaccinated, who might get a relatively severe illness out of this. So we still have to take some precautions with those folks.

Sorry to hear it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 12:17 pm

I wonder if he realizes this removes the rationale for his student loan forgiveness program?