High pitched and/or "sing songy" voice

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:00 am

Does anyone talk in a higher pitched and/or "sing songy" voice?

I've always talked in a slightly higher pitch. I've also noticed that I talk in a "sing songy" voice, which I guess means that my tone when I talk fluctuates a lot and in an abnormal way. Both of those things are automatic and not intentional. When I was a kid, even when I was in speech therapy, adults didn't really make me stop doing it, so I still do it. Kids used to make fun of me for it, but now people don't really mention it. I think it contributes to people thinking I'm developmentally disabled though because it's odd. Teenagers and adults don't talk like that. People usually think I'm a lot younger than I am because of my appearance + the way I talk, and when they find out I'm an adult they still treat me like I'm a kid, sometimes even more. People also can't always tell what I'm feeling or trying to convey when I talk because of my odd intonation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:46 am

My voice is quite low, like a really old lady. I don't think my intonation is odd though, as nobody has ever said even if I asked.
When I was a kid I used to talk in a whine a lot but I grew out of it before my teens.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:32 am

I don't think voice is really high or really low, but I have pretty flexible vocal chords.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm

It sounds as if you are still imitating the way people first talked to you. Maybe try doing impressions of celebrated orators to re-learn speech. Anton Petrov's show would be far better with a "speaking to adults" voice and vocabulary.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 2:12 pm

Basically, I range from tenor to baritone.

I grew up thinking I had a horrible voice----but I realized, subsequently, that it's just like an "average" man's.

I stutter, though, and stammer.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 3:29 pm

My voice is sometimes all over the place, but isn't especially low or high pitched unless I'm choosing to make it that way.

I'm constantly adopting different voices without entirely consciously thinking about it, especially for things I find easier to explain via dialogue.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 9:07 pm

I have a very low pitched voice and a German accent. I reminded my sister and possibly a lot of kids of Schultz around the age of 12.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 9:55 pm

I have a very middle of the road voice.

When I was in my thirties, people who
didn’t know me thought I sounded like a high schooler.

Just a few years ago, while working, people often told me my voice was very comforting.

I agree with the other reply that said try practicing a lower voice- sounds like it might be an exhausting exercise but maybe it will help. But more than likely your voice will continue to change with age as most people’s do.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 5:29 am

my voice is a nice voice very smooth not too high not too low

i used to sing but not now i dont like singing any more but when i did sing people would often say i had a lovely singing voice

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:10 pm

I sound like a kid even though I'm in my 40s. When we had a landline and I answered the phone, I'd often get asked if my mum or dad were available. So I guess my voice is of a higher pitch than normal.
I wish I had my mum's voice. Deeper and more resonant.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 12:27 am

I have typically had a lower voice. It did get a little higher when I had my tonsils out lol

I'm not singsongy now, but I was sometimes as a kid. It wasn't intentional either. I would only mean to speak and it would come out like that o_O What I do think is an extension of that: If I reiterate what someone else said, if the person had an accent, I have repeated it with their accent. Again not intentionally. I'm usually really embarrassed when that happens. U.U

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 4:12 am

Someone on this site met me and said that I have a monotone voice. I really had not noticed apart from knowing that my voice was different and people instantly knew it was me talking to them etc.
I can sing ok unlike my Dad who sang monotone-ly and was said he was tone deaf (Though I don't think he was but due to being excluded from the quoir when at school (He loved rugby but was not allowed to play unless he was in the school quior), he refused through his life to have anything to do with music apart from some 60's and 50's hits that he liked when he was a child... But rare for him to mention it but about a decade before he died he said he liked a Atomic Kitten song which was a repeat of the same song sang about five times by other bands throughout history (Think was origionally a '50's song). He heard it on the radio while driving in the works van.
I don't like to put the radio on when I drive. I don't like to do two things at a time, though if (Rare) I go long distances on the motorway I have been known to put it on, though only when it is all long straight roads so nothing much is happening so I can listen. Usually not for thst long before I turn it off.

But voice. Never knew that my voice went monotone though as never thought about it. Is not exactly monotone, but when talking it stays in a relitively short range of pitch, but I assumed this was normal? I am a bit too intermally washed out to think of things as I speak to learn to alter my speach, so am not going down the road of conditioning myself, though my Mum and I do automatically copy the accents of whoever talks to us and get embarissed when we notice ourselves doing it incase the other person notices and is offended.

My cousins eldest boy who is now a grown up man who is also on the list to be assessed, has little or no control of the volume of his voice and is at times quite loud. He is funny as we all can hear him even when he wispers!

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 11:15 am

I sound young and friends say I have a soft and soothing voice - like a therapist. There are moments where it gets high pitched. When I have no energy I sound very quiet, and am often told to speak up.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2022, 9:44 pm

If i'm not aware, i talk in a higher pitch. I'm also a singer and i find it strange that my challenge is singing high. I used, what we call, too much compression which excels in the chest (low).

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:41 am

I should maybe clarify that my voice isn't naturally high pitched, it's actually a bit low for people that are born female, but I talk in a higher pitch than my natural speaking voice. I've done it since I was a really little kid, and I didn't necessarily pick it up from people baby-talking or anything because it's not the same type of thing.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:44 am

I do cos I'm Welsh. I can't avoid it.

Welsh women are even worse for being sing songy. When I'm with female friends, a Welsh twang abruptly bursts out from time to time when you least expect it and has even abruptly stopped convos when it's so strong you can't ignore it.