High pitched and/or "sing songy" voice

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:55 am

I've not got a sing song type voice. My boyfriend told me I have some kind of intonation when I speak and I am sort of semi aware of it but it's not something I've ever really thought about.

I've also been told that I have an androgynous sounding voice and also an androgynous personality to go with it. I suppose I should take pride in these things but as its not something I practice at, I don't really think about it.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:03 am

I'd never given it much thought until Sims 4 introduced voice types for sims. A friend of mine was trying to create me as a sim and got a bit stuck on the voice question. We were stuck between choosing 'melodic' or 'lilted'. The options were sweet, melodic, lilted, clear, warm or brass. We both agreed my voice had a rhythm to it and I chose lilted after listening to all of the options. The melodic options weren't quite right, I think the lilted choices were closer to my voice.

People have told me that my voice is calming and that I should consider narrating. There's a steady rise and fall to it, but it's not particularly high pitched - I'd say it's about average in pitch for a female voice. It's not monotonous, there's emotion to it, but there's a consistent rhythm most of the time.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2022, 4:31 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Does anyone talk in a higher pitched and/or "sing songy" voice?

I've always talked in a slightly higher pitch. I've also noticed that I talk in a "sing songy" voice, which I guess means that my tone when I talk fluctuates a lot and in an abnormal way. Both of those things are automatic and not intentional. When I was a kid, even when I was in speech therapy, adults didn't really make me stop doing it, so I still do it. Kids used to make fun of me for it, but now people don't really mention it. I think it contributes to people thinking I'm developmentally disabled though because it's odd. Teenagers and adults don't talk like that. People usually think I'm a lot younger than I am because of my appearance + the way I talk, and when they find out I'm an adult they still treat me like I'm a kid, sometimes even more. People also can't always tell what I'm feeling or trying to convey when I talk because of my odd intonation.

Do you have an example of such a voice?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2022, 4:44 am

BreathlessJade wrote:
If i'm not aware, i talk in a higher pitch. I'm also a singer and i find it strange that my challenge is singing high. I used, what we call, too much compression which excels in the chest (low).

What's so weird about it?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

The ability to speak words is in the left dominant side of your brain. But singing is stored in the right side.

I suffered a massive stroke about a year and a half ago. I lost my knowledge of all my words. That is except for a few strange words like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious which was used in the movie Mary Poppins. After I recovered some of my knowledge of words back, I finally figured out that the few words that survived my stroke were actually words from songs, songs that I knew as a child before age 13.

Songs are in a different region of the brain then the spoken words.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2022, 2:56 am

jimmy m wrote:
The ability to speak words is in the left dominant side of your brain. But singing is stored in the right side.

I suffered a massive stroke about a year and a half ago. I lost my knowledge of all my words. That is except for a few strange words like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious which was used in the movie Mary Poppins. After I recovered some of my knowledge of words back, I finally figured out that the few words that survived my stroke were actually words from songs, songs that I knew as a child before age 13.

Where is the evidence.for your theory?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:04 am

There is a thread here lurking in the members only section where you can post a recording of your voice.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 6:29 am

I'm not going to post a recording of my voice on this site. :|

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2022, 2:11 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:

But we need at least one example, be it you or someone else speaking.
Also, tell us what the problem you have. Are you just feeling that no person have the same thing or do you have another problem?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 5:24 am

Gammeldans wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Also, tell us what the problem you have. Are you just feeling that no person have the same thing or do you have another problem?

Do you have anything else to add beyond asking me if I have a "problem"? I don't have a "problem", I'm just asking if other people experience the same thing out of curiosity. Not everything has to be due to a "problem".

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 7:23 am

Gammeldans wrote:
we need at least one example

Feel free

https://vocaroo.com/

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2022, 4:03 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Do you have anything else to add beyond asking me if I have a "problem"? I don't have a "problem", I'm just asking if other people experience the same thing out of curiosity. Not everything has to be due to a "problem".

Well, if you don't have a problem you won't get help. How can we give you good advice if you don't mention the issue pr problem?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:01 am

Gammeldans wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Where is the evidence.for your theory?

The left and right sides of the brain have different functions and control different processes. Each half of the brain contains six different lobesTrusted Source.

The brain’s left half is primarily responsible for speech and abstract thinking. It also controls the right side of the body. The right side of the brain is responsible for image processing, spatial thinking, and movement in the left side of the body.

The left and right sides of the brain connect via nerve fibers. In a healthy brain, the two sides communicate with one another.

The two sides do not necessarily have to communicate, though. If a person has an injury that separates the two brain hemispheres, they can still function relatively normally.

Source: Left brain vs. right brain: Fact and fiction

I was attacked by a large bull when I was around 3 years old. I came back, but I was a very different person. (What I experienced at the time fit the definition of a near death experience. I was outside my body watching my parents hover over me in total fear. I choose to come back, but it was my right side of my brain that came back.)

During my early years in school, I was not the best of students but then in my first year of high school, they put me in a class called "Speed Reading" and it turned me from almost a high school drop out into college material.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2022, 12:12 am

As a beefy stocky man, its quite noticeable how I automatically talk in a high pitched tone when socializing. Its a habit;.better when I'm at home seeing as how I talk to myself, pray, and practice conversations, its nice to default to monotone.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 9:58 am

If singing is stored in the right side of the brain, then that must mean left-handed people are naturally better at singing than the righties. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2022, 10:18 am

I'm righthanded....and I suck at singing......