I drive a car but I am not ''interested'' in cars

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 1:45 pm

I do remember as a kid having toy cars and was a time interested in them. But now I have hardly any interest even though I drive a car but is partly because I had lessons persuaded by my dad who first got me lessons in a manuel car but learning that was hard. Then he got me lessons with someone who drove an automatic car and for a few years learnt in that and found it somewhat less stressful than a manuel car where you have to keep changing gears even when driving down a long straight road whereas an automatic does that by itself whilst I've got my hands on the wheel steering and my feet on the accelerator and brakes. I passed my hazard perception test after about 13 goes and only failed once on my driving test.

To be honest I don't feel as though I'm much of a different person even though I've driven in a car. There are times when I find it frustrating. Sometimes I feel like I'm still a bad driver, I have tendency to go quite fast, I sometimes slow down quite late and don't always leave a two metre space between me and the car in front of me. Yet I hate it when people drive too close behind me or look as though people are following me for the fun of it. I also hate being beeped at. I sometimes feel like I am the only idiot on the road who doesn't what he is doing sometimes.

I also seem to find myself envying those who do seem more interested in their cars or know exactly how to get one, sign all the paperwork on their own and know everything that works. My stepbrother who is 20, got himself one recently. I've never bought my own myself. When I got the one I drive now, my dad helped me in paying for it and signing the paperwork. Also, usually its not me that goes and has the MOT sorted, my dad has been the one who takes it down to be checked. Also the other day when we had been out for the day, the car broke down from a burst tyre and it wasn't me but my mum and sister who called for a recovery vehicle who picked us up and replaced the tyre for us which was great but it wasn't me but my mum who signed the paperwork.

I seem to be hard on myself sometimes for not being one of those people like my stepbrother who ''likes'' cars and seem to be able to sort out problems with them themselves and buy their own after they tire of their previous one. I seem to think other people who like me may not be ''interested'' in cars still do those the things I mentioned themselves without the help of anyone else in their family as though its just an essential like anything else and know exactly what to do and know how everything about their car works. I feel like the only one and yet I can do other things myself which I don't rely on parents for such as buying my own food, my own clothes, buying a new chromebook and pay for my own petrol though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 3:32 pm

Personally I've never noticed having to shift as being a burden. I won't lie though, I used to find it really hard to use a manual in video games but once I started driving for real using a transmission started to just make sense.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 3:39 pm

I've driven manual cars for forty years. Can't imagine using an automatic gearbox. For me the car is just a way of getting around or carrying stuff. I'm not interested in cars at all and don't tend to notice makes or models of cars. I'm more interested in the number plates of cars in front of me and like to make words up from the letters.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 3:49 pm

Some of my family members are really into cars.

As a kid I used be obsessed with makes of cars. I could name the model from a distance. I also noticed number plates. As an adult I was obsessed with Ferrari's.

I do appreciate a nice looking car (it's like looking at a rainbow), but I'm no longer obsessed with them. I don't drive either.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 4:41 pm

When I was a kid all I wanted was to drive something. I loved dodgems and stuff like that just because I got to drive. As soon as I was old enough I learned.

I'm in the UK where manual transmissions are standard and automatics are a bit of a curiosity. I miss changing gear on the odd occasion I drive an automatic.

I love driving but being that I have no interest in the cars themselves. I've always driven crappy cars. I don't care how they look or how fast they go. I've never paid more than £1000 for a car and I drive them until it becomes uneconomical to repair them.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 6:23 pm

When I was a kid my bicycle had a gearshift so I always understood the principle. When I was at the age to learn how to drive, both family cars were manual so of course I learned that way. I taught my son, but now that he and his wife share a car between them, it has to be automatic so she can drive it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:51 pm

That's funny. I don't drive but I'm very interested in cars, especially German cars.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 2:50 am

I think most people are not interested in cars per se. They are only interested in moving from place to place. Some are also interested in showing off their expensive car = social status.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 8:55 am

Then a Peugeot seems like a perfect car for you.

Seriously though I'm the same. I drive my dad's BMW occasionally and it's nice to drive but the money any high end car costs to maintain it alone makes me wince. For the sake of my licence it's best I don't too seeing ended up doing over 125mph last time I had the BMW.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:25 am

Who says you have to be interested in cars just because you drive one? To me that's like saying I sleep in a bed, I should be intensely interested in beds and have a collection of them, or something. :lol: