Being old is no excuse to being out of shape

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:19 am

Do you agree that being elderly is no excuse to be out of shape with a big belly?

Look at singer Sting who is still in fantastic shape and regurley practices yoga.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:56 am

I'd say it's not a reason to be out of shape, in and of itself.

But I think being old (as indeed being any age) is probably easier if you can stay in shape. Being overweight when you're old is a vicious circle - you'll be more vulnerable to physical ailments that will in turn make it harder to get back in shape.

I don't know how great an example Sting is though. I always think of my grandad who kept horses right into his old age and in his 90s would follow a routine every day that saw him walk a considerable distance across the countryside. He ate very simple meals: a few slices of ham, salad vegetables and brown bread. He smoked a pipe every day of his life. I think your body will put up with an awful lot of abuse if it stays fit and healthy.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 10:59 am

My mom turned 70 last month, and she's in excellent health and shape. But she's always been pretty active. Too bad it seems to have skipped a generation. I've always been more like my dad.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2022, 4:59 am

It depends what other aliments they have also. Some can't keep fit due to crippling pain. Think of worse pain than cancer treatment. Then you have depression where some will just eat and in a never-ending cycle.

Unless you've been in that person's shoes you can't really judge them.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 5:18 am

amykitten wrote:
It depends what other aliments they have also. Some can't keep fit due to crippling pain. Think of worse pain than cancer treatment. Then you have depression where some will just eat and in a never-ending cycle.

This.

If you haven’t had any accidents, chronic illnesses, opportunistic diseases at an early or middle age, then count yourself as extremely lucky. Best not to judge anyone else.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2022, 11:54 pm

Depends what life style objectives people have.
If being out of shape does not impede on their life satisfaction in some major way, Id say its OK.
Being out of shape and living in a world where being out of shape is easy, I don't judge it.
I would say ideally its better to be in shape.
Personally I think the word in shape also means you have some specific criteria for what that means.
There are currently probably a million ways to keep one self in shape.
Good or bad.

I am personally lot happier being in shape, and the mental and physical benefits are huge.
Currently having the motivation I am happy to workout.

Having higher quality life is not always necessary to be in shape.

I read a book about aging, and psychology, and I agree with the author that longevity of life is not as important as quality of life.
Though Id say "quality of life is" subjective.
Comparing my own subjective experience to others is not possible.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 1:56 pm

I actually think it's easier to get a grip of your health when you're older. Especially if you don't have to go to work.

One of my retirement plans is to join a gym. I think it's a good place to meet people and also to keep fit when you're old.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2022, 10:07 am

Agreed. If you have proper nutrition, calories and exercise, you'll be in good shape regardless of your age.

People lose muscle mass with age, but this is reversible if you consume enough protein and do some strength training.

It's not genetics holding people back as they age - it's lifestyle. Bad eating habits they once get away with as a teenager, they eventually pay the price for.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 3:31 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you agree that being elderly is no excuse to be out of shape with a big belly?

Look at singer Sting who is still in fantastic shape and regurley practices yoga.

What is wrong with being out of shape with a big belly? :|

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:22 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being out of shape or a big belly. Big bellies do not "hurt" anyone. Big bellies are not immoral or illegal.

Violation of the Golden Proportion does not require an "excuse"

Big bellies do not hurt people

Size discrimination hurts people

Some drugs and diseases cause weight gain

Fat people have to put up with disease, inconvenience and discrimination, more than thin people (all things equal, which they are not)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 10:58 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being out of shape or a big belly. Big bellies do not "hurt" anyone. Big bellies are not immoral or illegal.

Violation of the Golden Proportion does not require an "excuse"

Big bellies do not hurt people

Size discrimination hurts people

Some drugs and diseases cause weight gain

Fat people have to put up with disease, inconvenience and discrimination, more than thin people (all things equal, which they are not)

Amen to this post. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:18 pm

I say that people come in all shapes and sizes, deal with it. There are many different reasons that people might be unable to have what you call the perfect body. I'm glad I look like Schultz. People step aside when they see me walking down the sidewalk.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:24 pm

Trueno wrote:
amykitten wrote:

This.

If you haven’t had any accidents, chronic illnesses, opportunistic diseases at an early or middle age, then count yourself as extremely lucky. Best not to judge anyone else.

It's wrong to judge people for those very reasons. I have crippling pain. The type of pain that would keep me from joining a gym. I also suggest that you don't give me any unsolicited advice on what to squeeze out of my diet. I'll figure that out on my own and pick and choose in my own good time. You have the willpower to be in shape. More power to you.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2022, 9:37 pm

So, I've been fit and I've been fat. I'm currently on the heavy side but not the most I've ever weighed. I can still jog 4+ miles and do so, my issue is diet. I eat and drink too much beer.

It is very difficult to do what you want when you have kids. Id say having kids is stressful and a lot of people respond to stress by eating.

Sting has personal trainers and probably a personal chef.

If my job was to look fit, I could do it. But my job is looking at computer screens all day and when I get home I tend to want to pour beer directly onto my brain. Its necessary to forget that tomorrow I have to look at a computer screen again. I can't quit either - as you get older you need that pay to support your family so it has a prison feel.

I'm working on it, I'm trying to be better but its really difficult when you have kids to just go out for a run. Its much easier to sit on the couch and drink beer while I yell at them to stop destroying whatever it is they are destroying.

I don't need to impress women anymore. If I'm single again I'm staying single I've learned my lesson (hah jk).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 9:47 am

I don't judge people based upon what "shape" they're in

I'm lucky I'm in fairly good shape for my age; others are in better shape, though.

I should do better in some aspects of health.

All in all, though (because my knee is not hurting today!), I think I'm okay, though slightly overweight.