Trump, Children sued by New York for Fraud, referred to feds

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 11:09 am

New York sues Donald Trump, company and family members over widespread fraud claims, seeks at least $250 million in penalties

Quote:
New York Attorney General Letitia James on Wednesday sued former President Donald Trump, the Trump Organization, three of his adult children, and others for allegedly widespread fraud involving false financial statements related to the company.

The civil lawsuit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court seeks at least $250 million in damages, and seeks to bar Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and Ivanka Trump from serving as an officer of a company in New York.

James also said that she was referring evidence obtained in the course of a three-year investigation to federal prosecutors in Manhattan, as well as to the Internal Revenue Service, saying she believed it showed violations of federal criminal laws.

“Trump falsely inflated his net worth by billions of dollars,” James said at a press conference.

James said Trump massively overstated the values of his assets to obtain more favorable loan and insurance terms for his company, as well as to lower its tax obligations.

“The number of grossly inflated asset values is staggering, affecting most if not all of the real estate holdings in any given year,” the suit alleges.

“All told, Mr. Trump, the Trump Organization, and the other Defendants, as part of a repeated pattern and common scheme, derived more than 200 false and misleading valuations of assets included in the 11 Statements covering 2011 through 2021.”

The complaint says that Trump’s personal financial statements “for the period 2011 through 2021 were fraudulent and misleading in both their composition and presentation.”

James said that Trump had falsely claimed that his apartment in Manhattan was more than triple its actual size as part of the fraud.

And the suit says Trump valued his Mar-a-Lago club property in Palm Beach, Florida, on the false premise that it sat on unrestricted property and could be developed for residential use, even though he allegedly knew that asset was subject to a slew of tight restrictions.

Mar-a-Lago “generated less than $25 million in annual revenue,” the suit says. “It should have been valued at about $75 million, but it was valued at $739 million

Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba, in a statement, said, “Today’s filing is neither focused on the facts nor the law – rather, it is solely focused on advancing the Attorney General’s political agenda.”

James’ office interviewed more than 65 witnesses and reviewed millions of documents part of the investigation, the lawsuit said

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 11:24 am

"James’ office reviewed millions of documents". Wouldn't that take up their entire workload of at least couple of years?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 12:17 pm

Tish James is a shady striver, she even shived Andrew Cuomo when it was to her advantage.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 2:28 pm

I suppose the strategy is to get votes to keep her in office to nail the Donald. Only 47 days left and Michael Henry is beating her in the polls.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 3:17 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I suppose the strategy is to get votes to keep her in office to nail the Donald. Only 47 days left and Michael Henry is beating her in the polls.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Couldn’t possibly be that he’s being held accountable for his crimey crime spree.. must be politically motivated because the orange messiah keeps saying so.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:26 pm

trumps pleading the fifth hundreds of times likely to hurt them in this civil suit as the assumption is that answering would hurt them/admit guilt, and I guess that’s how the law works:

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/21/art-of ... s-screwed/

Beginning of the end for this con man and crime family.. or maybe that was the day he got elected ? Either way, they’re on their way down now. 8)

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
trumps pleading the fifth hundreds of times likely to hurt them in this civil suit as the assumption is that answering would hurt them/admit guilt, and I guess that’s how the law works:

Beginning of the end for this con man and crime family.. or maybe that was the day he got elected ? Either way, they’re on their way down now. 8)

Pleading the fifth is not supposed to be used against someone in legal matters. It's not like UK law in that respect.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:20 pm

Worthless wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Pleading the fifth is not supposed to be used against someone in legal matters. It's not like UK law in that respect.

According to that article, it Can be used in an unrelated civil suit relying on the same information. Or that’s how I interpret it. I dunno, I’m not American nor a lawyer - only know what’s in that article.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Worthless wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

According to that article, it Can be used in an unrelated civil suit relying on the same information. Or that’s how I interpret it. I dunno, I’m not American nor a lawyer - only know what’s in that article.

I didn't read the article as I don't have the data or time, nor frankly do I care all that much. I'm not a lawyer either, but I do have some degree of knowledge on the American legal system. I also know that salon isn't exactly a scholarly journal of law, nor a shining beacon of journalism. I do realize though, that civil cases are quite different; as well as the fact that what should be disregard or be considered irrelevant due to legal reasons, often is not in a jury trial despite what the jury instructions may be.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:34 pm

Chickens coming home to roost. This is what happens when you allow a corrupt businessman to run the country. Of course he and his trustees (children) were going to commit fraud. Like leaving raw fish in front of a hungry cat.

Worst case scenario they get hauled into court they can just claim the 5th and use POTUS immunity from prosecution, It's worked so far for Trump.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 5:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Chickens coming home to roost. This is what happens when you allow a corrupt businessman to run the country. Of course he and his trustees (children) were going to commit fraud. Like leaving raw fish in front of a hungry cat.

Worst case scenario they get hauled into court they can just claim the 5th and use POTUS immunity from prosecution, It's worked so far for Trump.

Executive Privilege isn't a blanket immunity.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 6:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:

He isn't potus anymore and has no executive privilege. He's a civilian.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 6:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Exactly.

Even when in office, the power of executive privilege is not unlimited.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 6:43 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It's now been nearly 2 years since he was deposed. It seems strange its taken so long for this to move given how corrupt he was before taking office in 2016 and the invariable likelihood he would make his tenure as POTUS as profitable as possible for his business interests. He is still an ex-POTUS and I am now sceptical whether we will see him actually jailed. His children on the other hand are another matter.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 6:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It's now been nearly 2 years since he was deposed. It seems strange its taken so long for this to move given how corrupt he was before taking office in 2016 and the invariable likelihood he would make his tenure as POTUS as profitable as possible for his business interests. He is still an ex-POTUS and I am now sceptical whether we will see him actually jailed. His children on the other hand are another matter.

Well, ADX Florence certainly has a few rooms available.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 10:16 pm

The bad:
She can not put him in jail over a civil suit.
The Feds could put him in jail but if he or another Republican is elected POTUS he will be pardoned by said POTUS, something that was not likely if he was convicted on state criminal charges.

Her punting it to the Feds shows his intimidation superpowers at least are still partially working for him.

The Good:
It is easier to convict him in a civil suit because you need a "preponderance of evidence" not "evidence beyond a reasonable doubt"

After 7 years somebody actually did something more than talk , something I seriously doubted I would ever see.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 Sep 2022, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.