Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 12:01 pm

Ha I remember that one

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 12:51 pm

Sure. All kinds of things happen to the food before it gets to my plate...but after it is cooked and certainly after it is served I do not want to share it with a fly. And I would avoid restaurants frequented by flies.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2022, 5:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I heard that it can take only take a second for a fly to make eggs, and sometimes if you eat something after a fly has been on it it can make you really ill, so throwing it away is probably the most sensible thing to do.

I still like flies though. I just wish they didn't land in poop.

:lol:

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2022, 5:53 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I throw the food away...or, at least, anything anywhere near where the fly landed.

I wish I was not limited to one response, however. I went with "throw the food away" because I don't do a full-fledged freak out, rather I just get very agitated...and the agitation begins long before the fly lands and even if the fly doesn't land.

Yeah as soon as I see a fly, my day is officially headed towards ruination lol. Just because of how disgusting they are. I thought I made it so you could vote twice

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:01 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Sure. All kinds of things happen to the food before it gets to my plate...but after it is cooked and certainly after it is served I do not want to share it with a fly. And I would avoid restaurants frequented by flies.

Thinking what food would be on the menu if a fly was head chef? :D

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 6:02 pm

I just shoo the fly away and still eat the food. I'm sure a lot of things go in my mouth on a daily basis that may or may not have been touched by a fly before. Flies also clean themselves a lot, so I'm not too bothered by them in a hygiene sense. My stomach acid also should take care of anything I might need to worry about.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 9:56 pm

I selected "ignore and keep eating" because that was the closest answer, but I shoo the fly away before I keep eating and will if need be, take additional steps to protect my food from further incursions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 10:42 pm

That will be 30c extra

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:12 am

There are strict standards for the percentage of insect parts allowed in processed food. It is not zero, and I've never heard of any enforcement. My NT father seemed to think that flies all went wading in feces and then rubbed their legs over his food to clean them, but the odds of that seem low where I eat.
Using the best modern nutritional science, calves can gain 3.5 lbs. per day. Eating natural pasture, with the bugs, gives 4 lbs.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:31 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Thinking what food would be on the menu if a fly was head chef? :D
What would the portion sizes be? :scratch:

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2022, 11:12 am

Yep, just shoo it away and carry on eating whilst thinking about how amazing flies are and how they are such an essential part of the biosphere.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 11:18 am

I found these on the Internet:

*- Healthhype.com "House Fly Diseases, Types, Spread and Prevention"

*- Sciencealert.com "Flies Are Much More Disgusting And Disease-Ridden Than We Suspected"

It seems the risk from an individual incident is low, but not zero. And, mathematically, repetition should increase the chances. I will continue to prefer the flies eat separately from me. :eew:

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2022, 11:36 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Come on people! Have you ever worked on a farm or a market garden? Thousands of flies have landed on them! Do flies think "I can't eat that. A human has touched it!"?

Look. Even if a fly has layed its eggs innit, the eggs will not harm humans. Fly grubs can be eaten.
The issues are what the fly has trodden on before and most flies that land on your food have probably never landed on anything bad.
Is a bit like saying "Rats carry diseases" without saying "Humans carry diseases" and "Cuttlery carries diseases"...

Just wash or prepare to minimize the chance of catching anything, and if a fly lands on it, just waft it off and eat it. You are far more likely to become ill from water borne sources of bacteria from your tap or whatever else you drink then a fly, and I am not saying a fly can't cause you to become ill. I am saying that the chance is smaller than other sources.
Did you know that breakfast cerials and other grains bought in health shops contain mouse and/or rat and other droppings or insect droppings and that they grade the food as fit for human consumption by counting what they find and if it is below a certain number of droppings it is passed and if it is not it is animal food? And that there is virtually no such thing as no animal or insect droppings in such products?

I do not want to put any of you off eating food, but lets face reality here, that despite great efforts on behalf of farmers or other food growers and the middle men that store and process and pack the foods, the reality is that you are eating animal and insect poo in with your food so a fly walking on it is hardly anything in comparisson to the rest of what goes on!
Not cooking or heating food long enough (Especially meats) is far more of a health risk than a fly walking on it to be honest.

Yes there is risk, but every single item of food you eat there is risk... But not eating and you are at more risk than eating as your body does not get the good stuff it needs to digest to keep your immune system healthy so it can cope with any nasty stuff it may come across.

What? Dropping droppings in cereal?! OK fair point, man. I'm just not comfortable with it

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 4:17 pm

If the food was raw and solid, I'd just wash it. Otherwise I'd discard it. But emotionally I'd feel like discarding anything after a fly's been on it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 4:26 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

There's a Fly in the Soup - Sesame Street

I remember that one. I remember a lot of things from Sesame Street.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 4:37 pm

Be a man! And eat it. Just eat it.

https://youtu.be/ZcJjMnHoIBI