Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

YancyyyComet9000
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2022, 3:11 pm

How do I deal with overstimulation when my family don't understand?
On days where I'm over stimulated I just have to act as normal. But my family have caught on to how I don't like being touched and constantly try to hug me or touch my shoulders and I hate it. I don't know how to explain it to them.
It just make me feel worse. They're also often talk loud and have the TV loud. I usually shut myself away but they then end up bothering me and when they talk it's way too loud.
I hate the feel of headphones so they make me feel worse if I wear them to keep noise out.
I don't really know what helps and I'm wandering if anyone has any advise for things I could do or just tell me what they do.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 3:47 pm

Google DBT TIPP?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 5:56 am

very difficult situation. Trying to find a place to go or something to do away from the others worked for me. I went to the dark damp basement and read using a flash light to escape the chaos in my home. When I was allowed to leave on my own I spent a lot of time at the public library. Somebody I know used to climb a tree and hide with a good book. It is really difficult if you live in a small place with many others. If head phones don't work, maybe ear buds or soft ear plugs will. Playing your favorite music in your own room ( it sounds like you do have that, I had to share with a sibling ) or doing other things to distract yourself (reading, playing video games, watching a movie or tv, drawing or other crafts) can sometimes help because hyperfocus helps lock out every input but that which you focus on.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 5:11 pm

When I was a kid, I used to climb to the top of the tree in front of my house.