Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2022, 3:52 pm

I haven't worked in a few years, I just got so burned out from trying. The stress of trying to work nearly killed me and I had to quit, like it wasn't a choice, I HAD to quit. I'm in a position where I need some income and I have considered taking a part time job as a bus driver. Driving is relaxing for me and it pays really good because of the subarctic climate I am in being an outdoor job. But..... :|

I'd be adding the stress of maintaining a schedule which is extremely difficult for me. I want this job but not the commitment to doing it everyday for that reason. With eveything I do I have to prepare before and then recover from and that varies each day with what else is going on and committing to anything is extremely taxing for me. :(

I have terrible sensory issues and idk about dealing with noise on the bus while driving without some kind of headphones which is illegal while driving. I just don't know if I should try this or not. 8O

I love the cold, if I was driving an empty bus this would be perfect. :lol:

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 4:05 pm

CAn you get part time?

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2022, 4:25 pm

klanka wrote:
CAn you get part time?

It is part time, I am thinking about asking for an afternoon shift.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

oops didnt notice that.

i've done part time its not bad. its worth a try

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2022, 5:06 pm

klanka wrote:
oops didnt notice that.

i've done part time its not bad. its worth a try

Yeah I think so. Right now I am at thinking and rethinking the conversation and how it might go over and over with each variable I can come up with about asking for just afternoons. 8O

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:20 am

you mean like 3-4 hours per day?

If its something you enjoy like driving i can see that being kind of difficult to keep doing every weekday, i only worked 3 days a week which i could handle easily

DaleReynolds
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2022, 9:41 am

I've been working since I was 17 and I just can't imagine my life without any work. Congratulations on your job search, I'm sure you won't regret it!

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:59 pm

Let me give you a few considerations:

You will have the stress of meeting a schedule with possibility that if you don’t or can’t keep the schedule the entire system will start to run late.

You are effectively the captain of the bus. If disagreements break out on the bus, you have to handle them. If medical emergencies occur, you have to handle them. If passengers get difficult with you, you have to handle it.

It is quite doubtful that you will permitted to wear sound blocking or dampening ear coverings. Not only must you be able to hear what is going on relating to the above matters, but you will need the bell when people ring for stops.

Driving a bus is a job that is more involved and requires more responsibility than might seem upon first consideration.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 7:25 pm

What about van or lorry driving instead? You have less people to deal with and can relax while driving more.

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2022, 7:25 pm

Thanks for the insight. This is a school bus which is a little different, not dealing with any adults aside from coworkers. The children maybe can be kept quiet on the bus, which I need to ask about if that's already a rule, it may very well be idk. The schedule could be an issue, I thrive on routine but stress can vary my ability to function so idk. I wonder if they'd let me use those noise reducing but not blocking ear things. It's still in the air, I also have a service dog that they have to approve that accommodation with the safety people. They did say they would be flexible about giving me hrs that would not be too overwhelming for me. Most cities I'd be beat out by competition easily but nobody wants to work or live here as the winter temps can get down to -40 or lower so I have a chance at getting this job. I will have to ask more questions of they give me an offer.

rse92 wrote:
Let me give you a few considerations:

You will have the stress of meeting a schedule with possibility that if you don’t or can’t keep the schedule the entire system will start to run late.

You are effectively the captain of the bus. If disagreements break out on the bus, you have to handle them. If medical emergencies occur, you have to handle them. If passengers get difficult with you, you have to handle it.

It is quite doubtful that you will permitted to wear sound blocking or dampening ear coverings. Not only must you be able to hear what is going on relating to the above matters, but you will need the bell when people ring for stops.

Driving a bus is a job that is more involved and requires more responsibility than might seem upon first consideration.

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2022, 7:27 pm

klanka wrote:
you mean like 3-4 hours per day?

If its something you enjoy like driving i can see that being kind of difficult to keep doing every weekday, i only worked 3 days a week which i could handle easily

Yeah, they said I can get hrs like that or even 2 or 3 days per week too if needed.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 11:11 am

I think the children, even teenagers, will like the dog. :D

In truth, it might be a little distracting for them— at first. But as a person with a service animal, I’m confident you have skills in briefly and matter-of-factly explaining the job of this dog. And you can translate this to age-appropriate language. And then the kids will get used to the dog as just part of the lay of the land.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 2:20 pm

hello im a bus driver too!

i have autism but when i get behind the wheel you wouldnt notice it!.I can memorise all routes and street names and all that just like that

fortunately my boss is the understanding type and knows about my autism and he knows im excellent at my job so he gives me the same route every day and im happy doing it

i do 3 days on 3 days off and start sometimes 5am sometimes 6am but i finish at about 2pm or 1pm

i love my job and i feel buses understand me more than people do..im good at being authoritive with the passengers too but i have to mask a lot to appear chatty and friendly too

i hope you do whats best for you!;

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2022, 3:07 pm

When you drive a bus, the time goes by really fast.

I would go for this job.

I'm not going to ask your exact location. Are you in the Interior, the west coast, or the Panhandle?

White_Feather
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2022, 4:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When you drive a bus, the time goes by really fast.

I would go for this job.

I'm not going to ask your exact location. Are you in the Interior, the west coast, or the Panhandle?

Interior AK :heart:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2022, 4:48 pm

I think this has real possibilities. Good luck!