Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 10:54 pm

Has anyone else been playing it? I really like it, though I have not gotten through it yet. Idk the first character I built I kind of didn't really figure out a good build for like not sure where I am going with it and started getting frustrated so did not complete the game with that character. I started a new play through with more of a mage build and I am really enjoying that, I think it is what I should have started with in the first place.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 5:20 am

I really want to but I'm reluctant to buy it because every 'big' game that I hear is awesome I buy and then can't get into it or something about it annoys me so much I can't play it. I think I have different standards to everyone else. I miss demo discs!

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 8:25 am

I haven't looked too much at Elden Ring's gameplay but I'd give it a try if given a chance

Gym Nerd
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2022, 9:41 pm

Elden ring is a masterpiece. I did a blind playthrough, so my build wasn't totally optimal, but that's fine. The biggest thing is paying attention to soft caps for stats.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Has anyone else been playing it? I really like it, though I have not gotten through it yet. Idk the first character I built I kind of didn't really figure out a good build for like not sure where I am going with it and started getting frustrated so did not complete the game with that character. I started a new play through with more of a mage build and I am really enjoying that, I think it is what I should have started with in the first place.

The "Mage" character build is said to be the easiest.
I always play "Astrologer"/mage in Elden Ring.
"Shoot and skoot" is my playing style. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:42 am

Lukario wrote:
I haven't looked too much at Elden Ring's gameplay but I'd give it a try if given a chance

It is in the "Best Game of the Year" Kategory. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:48 am

Gym Nerd wrote:
Elden ring is a masterpiece. I did a blind playthrough, so my build wasn't totally optimal, but that's fine. The biggest thing is paying attention to soft caps for stats.

I cap my "Intelligence" as a mage at around 60. 8)
Level 60 in stats seems to be optimal.

But then, there is a "Pay to win" feature, also, using 3rd party companies.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 6:52 am

Okay, I bought it and I absolutely love it. I was truly put off by everyone saying how relentlessly hard it is and I'm a casual gamer at best, I've done BOTW master mode but the reputation these 'soulsborne' games have is intimidating and I don't have hours a day to play and 'git gud'.

I'd been playing gamepass games because I'd tried a couple of 'AAA' titles like Witcher 3 and Red Dead 2 and I just hated them. But I'm so glad I took a risk on Elden Ring.

I love the fact that there isn't hours of rubbish cut-scene story telling to sit through. You're just put in the world and left to figure out the story for yourself.

I love that it 'feels' right. The character moves in a way I'd expect, freely and easily. Actually playing is quite intuitive I thought. One of the reasons I hated Witcher and Red Dead is because the movement felt so janky to me.

Personally I've found that a lot of the 'hard fantasy' stuff makes this game more intimidating than it needs to be - just an example in the naming of things in the world. The names often give you no idea what the item does. e.g. Flask of Crimson Tears - great, thanks a lot. Actually it's a health potion. Call it a bloody health potion.

I still don't know what half this stuff does but I'm learning.

And it is hard, but only if you want it to be. If you come across an enemy that's too much you can just go and find an easier one that's a better challenge for you. It doesn't feel unfairly hard, in my opinion. And there's a real sense of achievement when you beat a challenge that you've not been able to before (because you've levelled up, or just got better).

I'm talking as someone who's only ventured out of Limgrave once or twice so far but I already I've got my money's worth out of Elden Ring. I'm so glad to have something to get my teeth into while I wait for TOTK.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 11:52 am

I really want to play Elden Ring again.

I played it through to the final boss earlier in the year, then gave up and sold my xbox to get a Switch for TOTK.

That was a mistake. I loved Elden Ring but it exhausted me. I felt it was about 20% too long. The last few areas, Mountaintop of the Giants, Crumbling Farum Azula I rushed through because I just wanted to complete it. I didn't get off the branches in the Haligtree. I didn't think I'd ever want to play it again.

With hindsight I can see that Elden Ring belongs in a short list of the best games I've ever played.

And I really want to play it again with a fresh build, less magic this time, more swords. But I don't have the console anymore.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 5:09 am

And now of course the DLC looks fantastic and I'm wondering if i can get an xbox again and play through to the point you can access the DLC.

Is it weird that i feel a but scared of the time/effort investment you have to make in these sorts of games? I want to play it but I get so engrossed and it's all i want to do and there's other things i need to do so it's easier to just not play the game.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 12:07 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
And now of course the DLC looks fantastic and I'm wondering if i can get an xbox again and play through to the point you can access the DLC.

Is it weird that i feel a but scared of the time/effort investment you have to make in these sorts of games? I want to play it but I get so engrossed and it's all i want to do and there's other things i need to do so it's easier to just not play the game.

I get that feeling. There's a game I'm just itching to play, even while I'm working I want to play it. What holds me back is the fact that playing the game is short-term fun. When all my chores are done, and my work is completed, it feels a lot better to play the game knowing that I have no burdens.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 5:39 pm

Elden Ring is one of those few times when a game is hyped to hell and back yet it still manages to live up to the hype. It's a modern masterpiece that will be played for decades to come.

I'm not even all the way through. (Great Mace+heavy armor+faith+poison build). I always take my time with From games but I'm frothing at the mouth to actually finish and get all the lore. Really need to finish before the DLC comes out....

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 5:48 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Elden Ring is one of those few times when a game is hyped to hell and back yet it still manages to live up to the hype. It's a modern masterpiece that will be played for decades to come.

This is my opinion too. The hype made me wary because I'd been bitten before (see posts above) but it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 9:08 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
roronoa79 wrote:

This is my opinion too. The hype made me wary because I'd been bitten before (see posts above) but it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

It feels so strange when a modern AAA game gets this amount of hype and the developers actually take the time to finish and polish a game instead of rushing it out ASAP. I had enough faith in Fromsoft that I wasn't too worried, but the anxiety was real. I was more worried the fandom would hate it because of unrealistic expectations.

I also love seeing the mingling of Martin and Miyazaki's fantasy styles. I already loved both of them and I was in pleasant disbelief when they announced Martin was a part of the project.

- Thucydides

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2024, 5:58 am

I didn't know anything about Fromsoft beyond their reputation for making games that are hard but I found Elden Ring very reminiscent of the games I played growing up in the 80s and 90s.

It felt very normal to me to die repeatedly trying to beat an enemy and actually have to learn how to beat it through many repeated unsuccessful attempts. That's just what games used to be like.

I also liked the way you experienced the story through playing the game rather than having it rammed down your throat in cutscenes like most games seem to now.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2024, 11:46 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I also liked the way you experienced the story through playing the game rather than having it rammed down your throat in cutscenes like most games seem to now.

The From fandom loves this sort of thing. You always have to dig to really learn the lore. The truth is rarely exactly how NPC's tell you it is. If you want the truth, you gotta look at item descriptions, figure out who is lying to you, look at environmental art and architecture, even the in-game music can provide hints and implications.
It does give that feeling you had in older games where there was too little space on the game to flesh out the world. It really inspires a sense of wonder and mystery that gives these in-game worlds such character.

- Thucydides