Central Park Karen Loses Lawsuit against former employer

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:14 am

In news just in.

Amy Cooper, the White woman who became known as "Central Park Karen" after calling 911 to claim that a Black birdwatcher had threatened her, lost a lawsuit alleging her former employer had engaged in racist and sexist behavior when it fired her after the incident.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amy-cooper ... templeton/

U.S. District Judge Ronnie Abrams on Wednesday rejected Cooper's claims that employer Franklin Templeton had unjustly fired and defamed her. The investment firm dismissed Cooper in May 2020, shortly after the widely publicized Central Park incident. The firm tweeted about her termination on May 26, 2020, saying "We do not tolerate racism of any kind."

The judge rejected those claims in a 17-page ruling on Wednesday. In the lawsuit, Cooper had claimed that Franklin Templeton had treated her differently than three male employees who had engaged in misconduct ranging from insider trading to domestic violence. But Abrams ruled the cases weren't similar enough to prove bias, partly given that Cooper herself described her own incident as "international news as a racial flashpoint."

Abrams said Franklin Templeton's statements about Cooper, such as its tweet that "we do not tolerate racism," didn't meet the threshold for defamation, partly because those comments didn't imply they knew anything more than was already available to the public about the encounter.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 12:27 pm

Defamation is notoriously hard to prove in this country.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Her choice of words to the 911 dispatch is what cost her a plumb $200,000 job with the investment firm. The lawsuit was a last ditched effort to recoup some money.

I've had time to think this over since 2020 when this story broke and Christian Cooper was perhaps being clever, He did have physical altercations with other dog walkers before and he did change his demeanour the moment the camera started rolling meaning for him it was a scenario he was mentally prepared for (including carrying dog treats) whereas Amy Cooper was caught on the spot.

I do however, think she chose the wrong course of action. As a single female she should have quietly called her dog leashed him and walked away. Instead she chose to confront Christian Cooper (as other dog owners had done in the past).

Christian knew he could catch her by filming her the moment she tried to confront him. She has a second chance to walk away quietly but chose to stay put (despite being on camera). I think she made a fatal faux pas in threatening Cooper on camera with weaponising his racial background despite knowing she was on camera. Whatever her reasons (and people have come up with thousands of defenses for her) The moment she was recorded it was "Game, set and match".

Even then Christian Cooper did not intend to publicise the video (I suspect now he knew he would be blamed for instigating the fracas) , He made the mistake of sharing it with his sister who saw a white woman weaponising her brother's race and chose to upload it to social media where it went viral at the same time as George Floyd's murder. The timing was bad news for Amy.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:34 pm

I wonder if Christian Cooper has kept up this routine with female dog walkers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:47 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I wonder if Christian Cooper has kept up this routine with female dog walkers.

He's gone on to become a TV celebrity
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... geographic

On the hand Amy Cooper has left the USA and is apparently living in a non-English speaking country under a new name,

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2022, 12:53 am

One of the things the lawsuit emphasizes is Jerome Lockett, a black man and dog owner who also claims harassment by Christian Cooper.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:06 am

I wonder if Christian is on the spectrum because of his focus on birds and his adherence to rules about dogs on leashes so he polices them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:08 am

Well he certainly knows his birds

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 11:04 am

Dox47 wrote:

This is a capitalist favoring country and most companies and employees are not unionized meaning that employers can hire and fire you for most any reason they damn well please. You are associated with negative publicity for your employer whether your fault or not you are gone. It might happen immediately, it might happen quietly months later.

cyberdad wrote:
Her choice of words to the 911 dispatch is what cost her a plumb $200,000 job with the investment firm. The lawsuit was a last ditched effort to recoup some money.

I've had time to think this over since 2020 when this story broke and Christian Cooper was perhaps being clever, He did have physical altercations with other dog walkers before and he did change his demeanour the moment the camera started rolling meaning for him it was a scenario he was mentally prepared for (including carrying dog treats) whereas Amy Cooper was caught on the spot.

I do however, think she chose the wrong course of action. As a single female she should have quietly called her dog leashed him and walked away. Instead she chose to confront Christian Cooper (as other dog owners had done in the past).

Christian knew he could catch her by filming her the moment she tried to confront him. She has a second chance to walk away quietly but chose to stay put (despite being on camera). I think she made a fatal faux pas in threatening Cooper on camera with weaponising his racial background despite knowing she was on camera. Whatever her reasons (and people have come up with thousands of defenses for her) The moment she was recorded it was "Game, set and match".

Even then Christian Cooper did not intend to publicise the video (I suspect now he knew he would be blamed for instigating the fracas) , He made the mistake of sharing it with his sister who saw a white woman weaponising her brother's race and chose to upload it to social media where it went viral at the same time as George Floyd's murder. The timing was bad news for Amy.

I am not going to restate my opinion about fault. I will summarize by saying I am glad I do not know either of them.

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder if Christian is on the spectrum because of his focus on birds and his adherence to rules about dogs on leashes so he polices them.

I have wondered that to. Also Cooper is gay and a higher percentage of us are gay than the general population.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Sep 2022, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 11:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

This is a capitalist favoring country and most companies and employees are not unionized meaning that employers can hire and fire you for most any reason they damn well please. You are associated with negative publicity for your employer whether your fault or not you are gone. It might happen immediately, it might happen quietly months later.

This is at-will employment laws that Reagan started and the GOP approved on the behest of corporations. That does not mean they can fire you for a reason that is part of a protected class (race, gender, religion, etc.). Many MAGA supporters are finding this out when they wear MAGA clothing to work and their employer decides to fire them (much to the dismay of the GOP).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 2:13 pm

demeus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

This is at-will employment laws that Reagan started and the GOP approved on the behest of corporations. That does not mean they can fire you for a reason that is part of a protected class (race, gender, religion, etc.). Many MAGA supporters are finding this out when they wear MAGA clothing to work and their employer decides to fire them (much to the dismay of the GOP).

Leopards ate my face. But what do they know, they are too narcissistic to realize it would apply to them too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 6:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
demeus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Leopards ate my face. But what do they know, they are too narcissistic to realize it would apply to them too.

?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 8:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
demeus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

?

I was referring to a reddit sub. Check it out. It's about Republicans and right wing getting consequences to their votes or policies they pushed for only to be hypocrites about it.