5ft10 in the dating world a disadvantage?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2022, 2:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
So Amy wouldn't date me....oh well :P

You're still taller than me just so height isn't an issue

But I've learnt from experience married guys and I don't mix :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:17 pm

i don't see why height is such a big deal. People come in all shapes and sizes like dogs do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:22 pm

I think that you're making too big of a deal out of your height.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:25 pm

I'm 5 feet 7 but its never been an issue for me as far as dating goes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:14 pm

I hope you find somebody nice soon, Amy :)

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 8:45 am

Are you kidding me? 5 ft 10 is far from a disadvantage in the dating world, because you're perfectly average.

The majority of women simply want a man that is taller than they are and at 5 ft 10, you're taller than at least 95% of women.

Height doesn't really start becoming a disadvantage until you're shorter than 5 ft 6.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 9:17 am

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 9:25 am

I wonder what sort of difference in response one might get from women, while wearing 2-1/2" "lift" shoes like those advertised in that YouTube video?

Darron

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 10:09 am

What would logic say?

Logic would dictate a 5' 10" man is at a complete and irredeemable disadvantage with all women (or men, as the case may be) who will only date men taller than 5' 10".

So that validates your suspicion that you, being 5' 10", have a disadvantage.

However, you have an advantage over all other men who are shorter than 5' 10" with women (or men, etc.) who will only date men who are at least 5' 10".

But I expect you know all that.

I still think you are playing a long con here, but whatever.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 11:57 am

If you’re 5 ft 10 and struggling with women, your height has nothing to do with it. You’re literally the average height of a man.

Now if you were 5 ft 4 and struggling with women, then yes your height is likely a contributing factor. But 5 ft 10? Nah

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2022, 7:38 am

Average male height is ~5'9", so you're slightly above it. And you're taller than most women. I don't think you're at a disadvantage.

Jamesy, I noticed you've made a lot of posts throughout this forum being critical of your body. From what you've said, you're at a normal height and normal weight. I think there's a bigger problem going on - like your body image and confidence - that you need to work on.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:39 am

GadgetGuru wrote:

Does it reallly need a survery or study to know the answer and to prove it true?

Unless if someone is living under a rock, that's a fact.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:50 am

The main issue, as I see it, is that shorter guys may be able to overcome this inherent disadvantage when meeting someone in person, if they have other compensatory traits. But the fact that much of modern dating is initiated online leads to disastrous results.
If a woman is able to set a desired height range of potential partners in a dating app or site, and never even sees profiles of shorter guys that don't lie about their height, then there's zero chance that that guy can have the slightest chance to present their (possibly) many other positive aspects.
This seems like a catastrophically discouraging barrier, one that is essentially impossible to overcome when attempting to match online.

Darron

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:33 pm

5'10' isn't short at all. I'm the same. I've had plenty of dating and relationship problems, but they were related to autism and bad judgement, not height.

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2022, 2:22 pm

GadgetGuru wrote:
The main issue, as I see it, is that shorter guys may be able to overcome this inherent disadvantage when meeting someone in person, if they have other compensatory traits. But the fact that much of modern dating is initiated online leads to disastrous results.
If a woman is able to set a desired height range of potential partners in a dating app or site, and never even sees profiles of shorter guys that don't lie about their height, then there's zero chance that that guy can have the slightest chance to present their (possibly) many other positive aspects.
This seems like a catastrophically discouraging barrier, one that is essentially impossible to overcome when attempting to match online.

Darron

Isn't there a flipside though?

One way to view it: The height preferences on dating sites end up weeding out those you had little to no chance with in the first place. As a result, you're able to focus on those you have a better chance with.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2022, 5:56 pm

I think it's worth noting that being too tall can also potentially be a disadvantage. Personally, I have a friend who is six foot seven and in the past, women that he's been interested in have told him that they find his height intimidating. Which is a shame because he's not a scary guy.

However, as others have mentioned, five foot ten is around the average US height (estimates suggest around five foot nine or ten in the UK for men, five foot three or four in the UK for women).

I have another friend who is five foot ten and he's previously asked me not to wear heels when around him so I don't look the same height or taller. However, I rarely wear heels anyway, they're a nightmare to walk in and difficult to find in my size. Plus, I lack the balance required. Since I'm five foot eight, when I wear shoes with a wedge or a heel, I look around five foot ten. I knew a woman who is six foot three, my friend would've had a tricky time dealing with her height. My friend group likes to call a woman who is five foot four short, when that's technically around average for a woman. Her girlfriend is five foot nine and likes to tease her. So it's really about perspective.

Interestingly, I knew a guy who was shorter than me but my goodness everyone fought over him. Whenever conversations about the height of guys occur in love and dating, my brain always goes to the line "I just met this five foot seven guy who's just my type" from the song American Boy.