5ft10 in the dating world a disadvantage?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:47 am

Would a true 5ft10 man (not a phoney 5ft7-5ft8 guy claiming it) still be at a slight disadvantage in the dating market when up against guys who are 6ft or 6ft1?

Remember a lot of people's perception of 5ft10 can be distorted with 5ft8 men always claiming it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 6:58 am

Its average, so I would say autism is the reason for a lack of success with dating.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 7:07 am

klanka wrote:
Its average, so I would say autism is the reason for a lack of success with dating.

Leonardo Dicaprio who is 5ft11-5ft11 1/2 apparently was dumped by his 5ft10 ex model girlfriend who said in her own words "My ideal man has to be taller than me". She is now in a long term relationship with 6ft4 Tom Brady"

Sad world we live in when a guy who is nearly 6ft faces height discrimination.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:31 am

I'm 5 foot 4 3/4. I've rarely been "discriminated against" because of my height.

I'm sure Leonardo DiCaprio is doing okay......

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm 5 foot 4 3/4. I've rarely been "discriminated against" because of my height.

I'm sure Leonardo DiCaprio is doing okay......

Maybe it’s a myth that short men have it harder?

That said I have been discriminated against by my 6ft 1/2 brother and other people for being a freakishly short 5ft8 :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:41 am

If you say you're "freakishly short" at 5 foot 8, what does that make me?

I'm about 5 inches shorter than my (late) father and my brother. Big deal.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 8:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you say you're "freakishly short" at 5 foot 8, what does that make me?

I'm about 5 inches shorter than my (late) father and my brother. Big deal.

I am a good 2 inches shorter than my dad who is 5ft10 (maybe not far off 5’11 when he was younger.

I was joking about 5ft8 being freakish short by the way. I’d describe 5’8 as a bit under average these days than truly short.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:05 am

Jamesy wrote:
Would a true 5ft10 man (not a phoney 5ft7-5ft8 guy claiming it) still be at a slight disadvantage in the dating market when up against guys who are 6ft or 6ft1?

Given that in online dating sites, SOME potential partners may use search result filtering to exclude those below some arbitrary minimum claimed height, and may never even see your profile, yes, perhaps you may not have a chance with such a person.

But if someone is that superficially exclusionary, might their bias be a benefit to you, rather a downside? After all, if they are willing to be that narrowly focused on metrics like stature, perhaps it's best to not even be presented with the chance to be disappointed by someone like that?

Darron

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:33 am

Jamesy wrote:
klanka wrote:

Leonardo Dicaprio who is 5ft11-5ft11 1/2 apparently was dumped by his 5ft10 ex model girlfriend who said in her own words "My ideal man has to be taller than me". She is now in a long term relationship with 6ft4 Tom Brady"

A taller person will have a different definition of a tall or short partner than a shorter one though.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:36 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
klanka wrote:

A taller person will have a different definition of a tall or short partner than a shorter one though.

Leo was 1 inch taller than her though

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 10:39 am

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
klanka wrote:

Leo was 1 inch taller than her though

Which isn't "taller" by most measures. If you're 5'11" and get off on having a partner that you can look up their nose, 6' won't cut it because you and them are the size, pretty much.

If you're 4'11" you've got the run of taller partners, they're all taller.
If you're 5'11", not so much.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2022, 11:16 am

If it helps I only date people taller than me... that said I'm 5'3 so most guys are taller than me. I've dated 5'7 up to 6'7 in the past so for me your height wouldn't be an issue.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 1:07 pm

I feel like, as with most of your questions, you have asked this one before.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 1:39 pm

rse92 wrote:
I feel like, as with most of your questions, you have asked this one before.

Yeah I probably have

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:05 pm

So Amy wouldn't date me....oh well :P

Seriously......there are ways in which you can make yourself "look taller." People are sometimes shocked when I tell them my true height----which is 164.5 cm, 5 foot 4 3/4

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 2:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
So Amy wouldn't date me....oh well :P

Seriously......there are ways in which you can make yourself "look taller." People are sometimes shocked when I tell them my true height----which is 164.5 cm, 5 foot 4 3/4

One of my former friends who claimed to be 6’2 1/2 guessed me at 5ft10. Granted at the time I was skinny at 140 pounds.