How long can you hold your breath?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:22 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
No contest. No prize.

I imagine lung capacity plays big factor. I have feeling my lung size capacity is on the smaller side.

"Individuals can increase their lung capacity by practicing holding their breath for longer periods. In addition to the recreational or professional benefits of an increased lung capacity, a person may experience additional health benefits from breath-holding."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... 12#summary

Looks like I've discovered a new hobby.

You can do a lot of really good yoga-like lung stretches and breath holding by taking up cannabis smoking as a pastime. It's worked wonders for human lung capacity for thousands of years. There are also other benefits, like being stoned, for example. 8)

Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:12 pm

I wonder if resting heart rate has something to do with it. Mine is fairly low (usu. less than 60 sec). So perhaps low heart rate + good lung capacity is a good combo in this matter. The article said there was a risk of high blood pressure though from holding your breath too much, and last time I went to get it checked it was in the 140s.

Mental state matters a lot too. If you hold your breath with the attitude of "I'll hit 2 minutes, no problem", your body relaxes, your heart rate drops and you'll be able to go further.