I really don't want the US to become a Christian Theocracy

Page 7 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
They are willing to let the world burn--literally--over their obsession with innocence and purity.

Oh yes! I completely forgot in all this mayhem that our friends in some conservative christian circles follow a particular branch of evangelical christianity. When they stepped of the Mayflower and burning witches in Salem the puritan crazies believed they were in the antimes where christ was coming and the end of the world was nigh.

Even In some modern white anglicans and catholics their strain of evangelism is strongly linked to us living in the time of the devil and his minions. It's no wonder their brains are so conducive to weird conspiracies. They wait for white jesus coming to save them from the great replacement (Mexicans etc) and opportunistic mealy mouthed republican politicians pretend to be their champions.

Last edited by Cornflake on 01 Oct 2022, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.: De-fanged some (more) sweeping generalities

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 9:36 pm

What America needs is a balance between the two extremes. If we go too far to the left, there will be chaos. If we go too far to the right, things will become very stiff and stuffy. We need an America where people from both sides can coexist and feel save together. We need an America where there's something for everybody.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 6:56 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
What America needs is a balance between the two extremes. If we go too far to the left, there will be chaos. If we go too far to the right, things will become very stiff and stuffy. We need an America where people from both sides can coexist and feel save together. We need an America where there's something for everybody.

Which is exactly why Church and State were supposed to be kept separated.

But now we have extremist Republicans in our government who wish to change that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 9:57 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Which is exactly why Church and State were supposed to be kept separated.

But now we have extremist Republicans in our government who wish to change that.

The overturning of Roe Vs Wade was done on purely religious grounds.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:03 am

cyberdad wrote:

Um, no.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:11 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Um, no.

Um, yes
https://www.newstatesman.com/world/amer ... -and-state

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2022, 12:20 am

Personally, I’d welcome it, mostly to show the USA how stupid they are for electing egocentric asswipes, known as politicians (and I don’t care what political group they belong to), that are hell bent on destroying everything in sight. For that matter (if it weren’t for the fact I can’t stand Bonny King Charlie III, the duplicitous bastard), I’d rather the USA revert back to the dominion of the United Kingdom.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:25 am

People get the governments they deserve and the only Americans who will get any ounce of sympathy from me are the ones who actually deserved better.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:31 am

cyberdad wrote:

Roe was overturned because there was no constitutional basis for it, it's quite clear if you read the actual opinion vs some sleazy tabloid journalist's take on it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:35 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Roe was overturned because there was no constitutional basis for it, it's quite clear if you read the actual opinion vs some sleazy tabloid journalist's take on it.

Bull. s**t.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:08 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Bull. s**t.

Show me in the opinion where it cited a religious rationale for overturning Roe.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Bull. s**t.

Show me in the opinion where it cited a religious rationale for overturning Roe.

Yeah yeah I'm not good at playing mental gymnastics the way you people are. But I can smell the Republican agenda from a mile away.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:43 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Bull. s**t.

Yeah yeah I'm not good at playing mental gymnastics the way you people are. But I can smell the Republican agenda from a mile away.

it's really easy to demonstrate that the supreme court judges involved in overturning Roe Vs Wade were christian conservatives. They are neither medical professionals or ethicists, they did not consider the fallout or frankly care they set women's right back some 50 years.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 3:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Bull. s**t.

it's really easy to demonstrate that the supreme court judges involved in overturning Roe Vs Wade were christian conservatives. They are neither medical professionals or ethicists, they did not consider the fallout or frankly care they set women's right back some 50 years.

And Justice Clarence Thomas specifically said in an interview he wishes to work on outlawing same sex marriage AND even go so far as bringing back the sodomy laws. Basically making it a crime to be a homosexual at all.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:56 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And Justice Clarence Thomas specifically said in an interview he wishes to work on outlawing same sex marriage AND even go so far as bringing back the sodomy laws. Basically making it a crime to be a homosexual at all.

Yes this one of the implications of overturning Roe Vs Wade. I believe a couple of republican senators have tested the new legal climate by posing whether the 1967 legal case of Loving Vs the State of Virginia can also be overturned (I still find it hard to believe that I was alive at a time when it was illegal to marry the person you love??). Of course Clarence Thomas carefully sidestepped that one as it directly impacts on him :lol:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yes this one of the implications of overturning Roe Vs Wade. I believe a couple of republican senators have tested the new legal climate by posing whether the 1967 legal case of Loving Vs the State of Virginia can also be overturned (I still find it hard to believe that I was alive at a time when it was illegal to marry the person you love??). Of course Clarence Thomas carefully sidestepped that one as it directly impacts on him :lol:

It's the typical Republican mindset. "Freedom for me but not for thee".