I really don't want the US to become a Christian Theocracy

Page 5 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 11:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
America is largely a white-only conservative christian theocracy already. I was watching a podcast from a black nurse who was working in a Idaho hospital. Despite wearing a nurses uniform she was regularly racially abused. Idaho's population is only 0.9% black.She made a number of warnings to other black nurses to not work in Idaho as she felt unsafe in public.

Black people are largely restricted to black majority urban areas in several specific major cities to be safe. When they venture outside of these spaces their lives are at risk from rogue white police and random white racists

OMG, just stop talking, this is delusional.

<-- Years of interracial relationships, black in-laws, etc, plus the whole actually living in this country thing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 6:15 am

What Cyberdad said was probably true in the 50s. It’s not true now.

There’s still work to be done to stamp out racism….but it’s certainly not the way it was back in the 50s.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 7:11 am

Just because things arent't as bad as they were in the 1950's does not mean they aren't still bad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 1:11 pm

Like I said, much work needs to be done....

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 1:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Like I said, much work needs to be done....

Unfortunately I'm seriously starting to feel like it's always 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards in our American society whenever it comes to progress...

The whole overturning of Roe vs Wade thing is proof of this.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 1:47 pm

We have to keep plugging away....we have no choice. And we have to remain sane in the process.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 4:22 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
America is largely a white-only conservative christian theocracy already. I was watching a podcast from a black nurse who was working in a Idaho hospital. Despite wearing a nurses uniform she was regularly racially abused. Idaho's population is only 0.9% black.She made a number of warnings to other black nurses to not work in Idaho as she felt unsafe in public.

Black people are largely restricted to black majority urban areas in several specific major cities to be safe. When they venture outside of these spaces their lives are at risk from rogue white police and random white racists

<-- Years of interracial relationships, black in-laws, etc, plus the whole actually living in this country thing.

Look dude, I'm not trying to trigger anyone. Just this is the perception of a number of black americans online that there are spaces that they are not made to feel welcome. In the US that's a lot of spaces.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 4:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Look dude, I'm not trying to trigger anyone. Just this is the perception of a number of black americans online that there are spaces that they are not made to feel welcome. In the US that's a lot of spaces.

I agree with this, but to be fair it goes both ways and my mom knows this from experience. When we lived in Pensacola we learned that there are some neighborhoods and stores there that white people are simply not welcomed in.

The first time my mom moved us there she went into a mini mart to buy something and didnt thinking there would be any kind of issue, the black man who worked there told her not to come back to the store and then offered to walk her outside to her car. There were three young teenage boys waiting outside who my mom thinks would have jumped her and that was why this man walked her to her car and told her not ti come back.

There are definetly all-white communities where black people have a good reason to feel uncomfortable being in but the same is also true for all-black communities that really hate or distrust white people being there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 5:08 pm

Right now, in NYC, these sorts of places pretty much don't exist.

Everybody is pretty much welcomed in any neighborhood.

I live in a "minority-white" neighborhood. My neighborhood is mostly Hispanic and Indian.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 5:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Right now, in NYC, these sorts of places pretty much don't exist.

Everybody is pretty much welcomed in any neighborhood.

I live in a "minority-white" neighborhood. My neighborhood is mostly Hispanic and Indian.

Pensacola is different I guess. And it outranks even Miami in terms of violence and gang activity. Where i used to live there was an Outlaws Clubhouse within walking distance from my house.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 8:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:

You realize that your original post is still perfectly visible, and that's not even close to what you said, right?

cyberdad wrote:

As I said, this is a delusional view, completely detached from reality, which again you might know if you actually lived here.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 9:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You realize that your original post is still perfectly visible, and that's not even close to what you said, right?

cyberdad wrote:

As I said, this is a delusional view, completely detached from reality, which again you might know if you actually lived here.

And what exactly makes you think this is a 'delusional' view? I'm willing to bet you're not the type to ask another black person in this country how THEY feel about the way they get treated. I bet you've never even lived in a majority black neighborhood like I did when I was staying in a group home as the only white guy there.

Treating your own assumptions about black people in this country as fact and being quick to dismiss any other claims of oppression by the system as 'delusional' is a textbook example of white privilege. :roll:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 10:12 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
And what exactly makes you think this is a 'delusional' view?

Living in this country and having seen enough of it to know that "America is largely a white-only conservative christian theocracy already" and "Black people are largely restricted to black majority urban areas in several specific major cities to be safe. When they venture outside of these spaces their lives are at risk from rogue white police and random white racists" are utter BS.

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm willing to bet you're not the type to ask another black person in this country how THEY feel about the way they get treated. I bet you've never even lived in a majority black neighborhood like I did when I was staying in a group home as the only white guy there.

Betting is a nasty habit, as you'd lose your shirt on this one. Where would you like to start? My black wife? The 85% black schools I attended? The section 8 housing in Seattle's historically black Central District where I lived with my black girlfriend and her family? I could go on.

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Treating your own assumptions about black people in this country as fact and being quick to dismiss any other claims of oppression by the system as 'delusional' is a textbook example of white privilege. :roll:

LOL, "white privilege" :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Also, not assumptions there junior, as I'm basing my opinions on personal experience and observation over many years, not some random podcasts and pseudo-intellectual theories of identity and oppression. To be clear, I'm not in any way denying that racism is a real thing that happens and that it sucks, but that the impression that some people on this website have of how pervasive it is in the US is not factual, to put it mildly.

Also, talk about projecting, you really shouldn't throw around accusations of assumption when you made so many of them yourself about me and my background, it's kind of embarrassing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 10:27 pm

I live here and i know the truth, there is such as thing as "driving while black" as i have witnessed it first hand. repeatedly.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 7:36 am

auntblabby wrote:
I live here and i know the truth, there is such as thing as "driving while black" as i have witnessed it first hand. repeatedly.

Yes, unfortunately there is still some vestigial racism around, which I've never denied, but the country is not this white supremacist theocracy that the foreign fantasists seem to believe it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:52 am

I would say there are isolated pockets which are still as racist as during the Jim Crow Era. It's unfortunate that this sort of thing has to exist at all.

There still remains more subtle forms of racism. Racism certainly hasn't disappeared. For some reason, in NYC, most of the homeless happen to be black (this is not the case in many other areas, by the way).

To assume that somebody is racist based merely on his/her background is an erroneous assumption.

What I wish----is that we acknowledge the history of racism, and the history of discrimination against minorities in general----such as Jews and, in the 19th century, the Irish. We can't deny that a virulent form of racism existed in many places until the Civil Rights Era. A racism which was deep in people's hearts, and much more profound than that found in most European countries.

But I also wish we move on from history----like most Jews have moved on from history. We must be vigilant about the racism that exists today. An ideology that assumes racism based upon a very narrow premise is a counterproductive ideology.