Not sure if smart move or really sad

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2022, 2:02 pm

How to rent a space to live in Vancouver for $850/mo:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/loca ... bc-5862818

:lol: :( Gross. That's what happens when it's like $4k/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment, I guess. Super expensive.. but I guess people who pack and live light Can live exist downtown for under $1k/mo.

Makes me have daydreams of seeing local homeless people & van dwellers form mobs and just start popping locks on vacant homes - houses, townhomes, condos, mansions.. pop 'em open and start the squattin'. :lol: It won't happen though :( this isn't France and people are just far too polite. 'Oh, pardon me, excuse me.. sorry I got in the way of your boatload of money.. I'll just shuffle along and try to survive the winter in the freezing rain. Hope the brush I scavenged camouflages my tent-home to your satisfaction when you fly clients into town and want to impress them with your address.' is more how that would Actually continue to go down.

FWIW, I personally would never pay $850/mo for a 1/3 of a parking stall downtown. IF I were going to go live IN Vancouver with multiple roommates you can do it bigger and better renting a massive mansion and splitting the rent 12-15 ways. With a small room in a huge mansion you Can have rent that cheap - I know someone who does it - and you get to live in a beautiful treed neighbourhood full of very nice very large homes - livin' the railroad executive life of 150 years ago, but with more roommates vs. excess space.

Yadda yadda this place is nutso bizarro world - one step above Hong Kong's people living in stacked cages. Heck, there was an ad last week for someone to rent a parked van in the driveway of a large house.. $900/mo to live in the van and have access to the house for kitchen/bathroom etc and the sad reality is that I bet they had multiple people interested.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Sep 2022, 3:17 am

Some hoarders live in more cramped spaces than that. I don't have much stuff but that would be too small for me

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 5:37 am

I moved into a tiny room in a cheap hotel built over a hundred years ago, to save on rent. I love the little place. Been there six years now.

The place in the OP is more expensive than it should be for the size because it's in fancy new high-rise.

My place is much like Neo's place in The Matrix. Except a bit smaller I think and the walls aren't green. They are cracked though and the electrical conduits run on the outside of the walls like in the picture.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 1:08 pm

nick007 wrote:
Some hoarders live in more cramped spaces than that. I don't have much stuff but that would be too small for me

I could exist in a space like that as long as I could still store my crap at my parents' house.. but only if I were a student with zero time for hobbies or work as there's no space for sporting goods or tools.

I'm hoping to have to plan a move in a few months, and if/when that time comes, my plan is to rent an entire house then airbnb the 1/2 I don't need, or sublet it if that doesn't work out. Something like that. Then for a similar cost to renting a basement suite beneath the landlords I'd be able to have the uppper floor, deck, garage, yard, patio, garden etc as well as control who my neighbours are downstairs if I sub it. Last I looked there were a couple houses for rent in that area where that would be doable.. hoping there's an ideal one when the time comes to move - if not, I suppose I could rent a bsmt suite month to month while on the lookout for an entire house in that specific neighbourhood. Time will tell. The whole thing is gonna be a b***h, obvi, but worth it if it means rescuing my Godson from his current legal guardian. 8)

Keeping on topic: a 3-5 bedroom house with a decent sized yard and 1-2 car attached garage about a 35 minute drive from downtown in no traffic runs approx $3200-3500 or so/mo + utilities, so around $4k/mo. I'm going to try to rent a 5 bedroom house, or 4 bed + den that can be used as a bedroom etc so there's room for the 2 of us + one roommate & an airbnb/sublet. Gotta get creative with a little rent hacking these days.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Sep 2022, 5:25 pm

I'm wondering how a couple people are working from home :? The bedroom looks too small to have a computer setup. I highly doubt I would have enough space for my desktop computer in there.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 7:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
I'm wondering how a couple people are working from home :? The bedroom looks too small to have a computer setup. I highly doubt I would have enough space for my desktop computer in there.

A laptop and cell phone don’t take up much space.