Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 10:43 pm

blazingstar wrote:
My home has gone from 10% chance to 60% chance of being in the path of Ian in the past 12 hours. :twisted:

Sweet Pea hugs

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 10:45 pm

I hope that all of you living in that area stay safe.

Sweet Pea hugs

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 8:36 am

Bryan Norcross veteran hurricane expert says:

Quote:
HURRICANE IAN UPDATE: Hurricane Ian is making its final assault on the Carolina coast and will spread flooding rain and damaging wind inland

Damaging winds and life-taking storm surge are heading to the South Carolina coast this morning. More torrential rain will come with the peak winds around landfall. Unfortunately, the timing of the arrival of the maximum impacts from Hurricane Ian will be around midday – coincident with the time of high tide along the Carolina coast.

Hurricane Ian is a disheveled-looking system because it has evolved into a hybrid tropical and northern-type system on its trek from Florida. The cold rain over the Southeast is a sign of the dual characteristics of the system. But don’t be fooled. The rain, storm surge, and wind threats are all the same if it were purely a tropical system.

Extreme danger will arrive with high tide late this morning. The tide swing on the South Carolina coast is 4 to 5 feet with no hurricane in the picture. The peak will arrive at about 11:30 AM. At approximately that time, an extra 6 feet or so of tide level will be generated by Ian – which is the storm surge. Waves will ride on top of the surge. This combination will be unsurvivable in low-lying areas near the beaches or near waterways connected to the ocean.

The highest surge will occur to the right of where Ian’s center of circulation comes ashore. If it makes landfall south of the entrance to Charleston Harbor, water will rise in the major parts of the city, including the historic district near the Battery, which frequently floods at high tide in modern times. The offshore islands would also be threatened.

If the center goes to the north of Charleston, McClellanville, Georgetown, and possibly the Grand Strand at Myrtle Beach would be the focus of the surge, even inland up the rivers. Full hurricane precautions are required in all these areas.

Many parallels have been drawn to Hurricane Hugo in 1989, but this is no Hugo, even though the track over the Low Country appears similar. This storm is much weaker and somewhat smaller, though the impacts can still be deadly.

The highest threat for significant wind damage is in a wide belt through the Low Country, which is very flat. Damaging winds will gust well over hurricane force. Once the storm moves well away from the ocean, the winds will quickly die down.

Even without the wind, torrential tropical rain will push into the higher terrain in the Carolinas and Virginia. A wide area is under a "Very Likely Flash Flood Threat."

Today is the day to stay informed and out of harm’s way. Many people will face multiple hazards. Use extreme care.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 2:43 pm

Ian’s death toll rises as massive rescue efforts continue in Florida

Quote:
Top Florida officials said Friday that the death toll wrought by Hurricane Ian has reached 21 people as search and rescue teams continue to comb through scores of wreckage hunting for survivors.

The state, aided by federal and local responders, has performed more than 700 rescues thus far and made contact with 3,000 people who sheltered in place throughout the massive storm. Search and rescue teams are continuing to look for more people who may have been trapped by severe flooding. U.S. Coast Guard Admiral Linda Lee Fagan said on MSNBC Friday that rescuers are going house-to-house in some areas, using a grid system to ensure no one is missed.

In one particularly grim incident, a rescue diver in an unspecified county encountered a home with water over its rooftop.
Inside, there appeared to be “human remains” but officials won’t be able to confirm anything until the flood waters reside, Florida Division of Emergency Management Director Kevin Guthrie said Friday.

The sheriff of Lee County, Carmine Marceno, speculated on “Good Morning America” early Thursday morning that fatalities “are in the hundreds” in his area. Biden on Thursday also said that early reports indicate that there could be substantial loss of life. DeSantis, however, has attempted to downplay that possibility, remaining hopeful that search and rescue operations will turn up survivors.

“You kind of have a lump in your throat because you just don’t know what’s going to happen,” DeSantis said of Marceno’s estimate. “I think that was done because there’s concern for the well-being of the people of Lee County, and there’s a concern of the damage that this storm has done.”

During a briefing on Friday, Biden said there are six fixed-wing aircraft, 18 rescue boats and crew and 16 rescue helicopters working on the rescue efforts.

“We’re just beginning to see the scale of that destruction. It’s likely to rank among the worst in the nation’s history,” he said. “It’s going to take months, years to rebuild.”

One of the state’s top priorities as of Friday is working with federal and local officials to repair the water main break in Lee County, DeSantis said. The water main damage means that no water is currently getting to the county and its 750,000-plus residents. The United States Army Corps of Engineers is expected to be key in making that happen. To that end, FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell is in Florida with DeSantis to assess the damages and offer support. Biden, who spoke with DeSantis by phone Friday, is also expected to visit Florida soon.

“We want to be transparent, but we just don’t know that number,” Guthrie said regarding fatalities.

Some 1.9 million people are still without power — mostly in southwest Florida, which was hit the hardest.

Florida as of Friday has inspected and reopened an estimated 800 bridges, including some in high priority areas in the southwest, DeSantis said. The state is working to clear roadways and set up staging areas for local residents to secure food and water. Fuel is being delivered to the state, but electricity continues to be an issue plaguing that coast.

Florida as of Friday has inspected and reopened an estimated 800 bridges, including some in high priority areas in the southwest, DeSantis said. The state is working to clear roadways and set up staging areas for local residents to secure food and water. Fuel is being delivered to the state, but electricity continues to be an issue plaguing that coast.

Ian makes landfall in South Carolina two days after first hitting Florida
Quote:
Ian has made U.S. landfall yet again — this time crashing into the coast near Georgetown, S.C., as a Category 1 hurricane. The storm hit Friday afternoon as the first hurricane to strike South Carolina since Matthew in 2016. In the state’s beach towns, residents had been preparing for flooding, piling sandbags at the doors of shops and restaurants. Ahead of landfall, President Biden had urged residents to “please listen to all the warnings.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 7:30 am

This reporter is nuts; thinks democrats are using weather and climate manipulating technology to send this and other hurricanes to red states:

https://fb.watch/fTWQtON1Ix/

She’s rightfully called out as ridiculous by the commentator in the clip.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
This reporter is nuts; thinks democrats are using weather and climate manipulating technology to send this and other hurricanes to red states:

https://fb.watch/fTWQtON1Ix/

She’s rightfully called out as ridiculous by the commentator in the clip.

What was the deep state democrats doing sending Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina into poor black Democrat areas?

Doing God’s work by punishing sinners.
God's Wrath Caused Katrina

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 12:25 pm

Well, Now That Monster Storm Close
To Category 5, Ian, Passes Through
At A Size Much Bigger Than Most
Previous Storms; We Do Have A Real

Socio-Economic Disaster Along With
Loss of Life That is Likely Gonna Tally
into the 100's Once The Body Count Comes In;

Nature Reclaims What Is Hers Regardless if Humans
As Blind As They Will Be Trying To Weather Nature on
A BARRIER ISLAND WASHiNG OUT TO THE GULF AS NATURE

RECLAIMS WHAT IS HERS; YES, INTERESTING HOW THE NEWS
REPORTS 90 PERCENT of Sanibel Island No Longer Exists As

What is Removed is What is Piled on Top of the Grains of Sand
That Comprise A Frigging BARRIER ISLAND That Those With the Most
Amount of Capital Gains in the United States Chose to Build Upon in many
Cases As Fort Meyers Ranks As Not Only One of the Fastest Growing Cities
Yet Number One When Socio-Economic Benefits Are Assessed with All the Factors;

They (The Rich) Have the Resources to Move on, No Matter if they are Ever able to Rebuild
There and Be covered by Insurance Again; Not So Much in The Trailer Related Structures

on Pine Island; A different Story For Many Trailer Parks Across the Florida Peninsula From
South West Up to the Atlantic Seaboard too; Folks Close to Where i Live in Mexico Beach in
the Panhandle of Florida Are Still Awaiting Settling Their Insurance Claims From 4 Years ago
in 2018; And Blue Tarps Still Exist in my Home Town Metro Area Since Sally From 2020 too;

True, Super Storm Sandy Left 100 BiLLioN Dollars of Property Damage; Having to Be Bailed Out
By the Federal Government That Governor DeSaTaNiS Opposed Then, When It Wasn't His Area in
The Bull's Eye of Nature's Reality Claiming Balance Back From What Humans Bring to the Table

of Nature More
Out of Balance;

With The State of the Reality
of What it Takes Any Contractor
to Do Work in Florida As i Waited
A Half A Year to Get A Window Replacement
in my Home as Just A Routine Replacement Then;

And The Prices of Materials Will Only Sky Rocket Even
More And The Waiting List For A New Car For A Whole
Year May Even Go Longer Than That; Yes, We Have Real

First World Problems

Now; We Consume

More Than We
Return Yet Nature
Does Reclaim What is
Hers And She Doesn't Give
A F About Social Economic
Realities or Human Politics Either...

Irma Came in the Same General Area
in 2017; And Charlie Came Before That

As A Very Powerful Yet Smaller Storm in 2004
As They Did Their Best to Rebuild Better then;

The Power of Nature Has No Equal; Nature Laughs

in the Face of Florida Men With 'Little Man Syndrome' Indeed...

In The Shadow of Michael Then; Now in the Shadow of Ian; Indeed, The Sun

is Shining; And The Birds Are Singing; Sea Oats Breeze Gently And Humans

Once again

Are Gnashing
Teeth And Weeping to
The Tune of "Godzilla's"

Return Once More; How
Does 'That Song' Go; Yes,

"History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of man
(Go! Go! Go!)
Godzilla!"

Yet Again What Do You
Do As A Native of the Area
Where There is No WHere to Go

Except For Government Help; 'You'
Bet, Thank Your Lucky Stars for 'Uncle Sam...'

And Perhaps the Immigrants From Below the
Southern Border Belt That Will Bring Your Way of Life

Back Again

Temporarily

As All is Change Anyway...

Replacing Roofs Like An Art of Dance;
Songs From the Mexican Radio Playing
As Roofs Come Back to Life And We Get
New Folks to Inhabit the Catholic Church;

And Even Vote Republican, Potentially, if
They Are SO Against Abortion And Women's Healthcare too...

Soon And Sooner Enough, 'The Little Brown Men' Will Be Arriving
With Their Families

to the

Rescue
of American Butts;
And Ignorantly, Likely
Still to the Tune of the Chagrin of
Those Who Insist on Shooting Themselves in the Foot

Of Their Basic Foundation of Life in Shelter And Subsistence too...

Anyway, The Rest of Nature Gets Her Say And She Never Has to Say
A Frigging Word;

WaLKinG The
Tallest She
Carries The
Biggest Earth
Wind And Fire Waves and Rain;
And Other Assorted 'Goodies'

of Change In DarK Thru LiGHT;

Sure; Say 'Your' Prayers Yet You
Better Understand Who is Really

In Charge of This CLOwN SHoW NoW

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 1:11 pm

I recall reading several times that Florida is expected to be an early and catastrophic victim of climate change and sea level rise - early for North America, but maybe the world too, I forget. Anyways, sounds like things are getting started down there.

I do wonder how the poor people down there are going to carry on. Floating barge homes? Homes on stilts? There are bound to be people who cannot or will not leave.. it’ll be interesting to see how they adapt.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2022, 1:35 pm

My newspaper shows this:
An says rescue missions are ongoing...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:45 pm

How's this for stupid:

IF people had insurance that would cover storm damage like this - which is probably very expensive insurance in the path of seasonal hurricanes - insurance companies will never cut people a cheque to relocate nor put money towards building a more hurricane proof structure.. instead, they'll only ever rebuild exactly as things were - to prevent insurance fraud of people seeking home upgrades. Very similar to when a house burns down. So for the places that get rebuilt, they'll build them as and where they were.. and then they'll blow apart again in the next storm.

Brilliant! :roll:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:18 pm

Ian was still at hurricane strength when it hit my home, but we are inland and wind speed was much decreased, probably “only” 100 - 115 mph. More trees down. We have no electric, no water, no internet, no phone. (I am writing this in town.) Several fruit trees blown over. Foliage shredded. Debris all over everything.

But we have a sturdy house and it is well sheltered. I am good. The house is good.

The wind howled and shook the house. Gusts felt like trees hitting the house, but it was only the wind. It hit hard after dark and so is a little scarier.

I was well-prepared, put plywood on the windows, have water and food.

But now, local rivers are flooding, closing highways, more people being evacuated.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2022, 12:41 am

I'm glad you're safe :heart:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 1:12 am

Seconded

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 11:11 am

I’ve had 5 displaced clients from the Naples area due to severe flooding, as in 3 feet of water in the home. People have lost their houses and have no insurance. Flood insurance in that area is about $5000/year and many cannot afford it.

I drove through Port Charlotte yesterday. Businesses are all closed. Very limited gas. Limited groceries. No ice. Much of the area has power out. I’m day 7 of no power. Sitting out by the road to get hotspot access.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 11:30 am

Also glad to know you are all right.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 2:51 pm

https://www.tiktok.com/@penelopedolce/v ... 8959021358