Why does everywhere speak English?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 11:40 am

QFT wrote:
Were they truly oblivious to my situation, or were they purposely acting the way they did just cause I was rude (kind of like you did in France)?

It is hard to tell, I don't know how widely English is spoken in India. I suspect it may vary by region and demographic. e.g. more rural areas will likely not speak English, similarly in towns and cities, poorer people may not have had the opportunity or interest to learn English.

Being rude + loud would certainly put people off helping. It was the woman's attitude I found annoying, that she expected and almost demanded that French people should be able to speak English. Turning it around, I wonder how many American staff in large supermarkets there can speak French? Probably few / none apart from basic greetings and small numbers.

If the woman had looked around and asked in a polite voice if anyone could speak English, I most certainly would have helped her. Though part of the problem is that just looking at people you can't tell who can speak what language.

I'm reminded of the old saying though, that you can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.