Marrying the person you were with at school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 3:36 pm

How many people on here have ended up marrying the same person they went to school with just out of curiousity?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 3:59 pm

That's a very odd way to phrase it.
Sounds like there were only 2 people at the school.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

My partner did.
They were together from high school until she passed away.
Classic high school sweethearts.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:35 pm

My elder brother is a bit like that. When he graduated high school, he went to a party in town and grabbed a 3 year younger girl who was in a high school not far from his. They started dating, broke up a few years later, fooled around for some time with others, they got back together and married.

He's a guy who is happy to live all his life a couple of miles from his hometown, so I'm not surprised he didn't want to take a gamble with his choice of life partner. I can't relate to him for the life of me.

Mitchell M.
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2022, 9:05 pm

1986 wrote:
My elder brother is a bit like that. When he graduated high school, he went to a party in town and grabbed a 3 year younger girl who was in a high school not far from his. They started dating, broke up a few years later, fooled around for some time with others, they got back together and married.

He's a guy who is happy to live all his life a couple of miles from his hometown, so I'm not surprised he didn't want to take a gamble with his choice of life partner. I can't relate to him for the life of me.

That is kind of concerning though, this was a 17-18 year old dating a 15-16 year old?

Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm

Yep. Age of consent is 15 where I lived. I think he was 19 and she was 16.

EDIT: Age gap was 3 years and a few months, for clarity.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:29 pm

Good grief ^^

When I was 16 I dated a guy almost 22.

It's not the end of the world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 10:49 pm

^No, it’s not.

High school girls went out with college guys all the time. Nobody raised an eyebrow. High school guys were jealous, though :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 11:10 pm

Abuse and coercion are the concern with age laws.
If it's a respectful relationship both parties should have autonomy of their dating choice.
Likewise with their physical intimacy choice.
(Assuming of course neither one is a minor or intellectually disabled.)

I wouldn't want the government telling me what I could and couldn't do with my body.
I think it would be pretty creepy for the government to have a vested interest in teenaged genitals.
Personal choice and bodily autonomy is no different with this, than it is with Rowe v Wade.

Sorry for the derail but I'm so tired of this age topic thing, for 16 year old girls.
After a while it starts to sound like these girls are infantilised or they don't have brains.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2022, 12:37 am

My parents did. My dad is undiagnosed but likely to be on the spectrum. My 11 year old mum pursued him until 13 when they started dating. Still together at 60 and married for 42 years.

I probably would have if I hadn't moved half way across the country in my last year of high school. School finished at 16 then and you can't drive until 17 so the distance was too great with only part time jobs

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 12:42 am

amykitten wrote:
My parents did. My dad is undiagnosed but likely to be on the spectrum. My 11 year old mum pursued him until 13 when they started dating. Still together at 60 and married for 42 years.

I probably would have if I hadn't moved half way across the country in my last year of high school. School finished at 16 then and you can't drive until 17 so the distance was too great with only part time jobs

Very cool. ^

I was the same.
I moved countries when I was 16.
That's where I met my older boyfriend.
I married him, too.
We ended up divorced, but age had nothing to do with it.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 8:54 pm

At college (if you count that as school) I went to a party at my old dorm where a number of my friends still lived. One of them pointed and said our mutual friend has a crush on that girl. I looked at her and immediately said to myself, “that is the most beautiful girl I have seen in my four years at this university.” Ten days after I took the bar exam four years later, we were married.