Page 37 of 97 [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 97  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 12:46 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't get why people's bodies have to get sore as they age.

Age, bone mass declines and the lubricant in the bones and muscles fade away which is why exercise is very important and activity. It's rare to see an elderly riding a bike or doing yoga and other sports but I assume it's because they stayed active their whole lives. But when this does happen, it makes news because they see it as a miracle. Also healthy diet helps too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 2:43 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I believe in assisted suicide for those with terminal illnesses and those who live in constant pain they can't live a life. I remember being in labor and if I had to live that way for the rest of my life, rest me in peace please.

Yes, I think that's the kindest thing to do for people. Once I saw these photos online of a 4 year old girl with terminal cancer in terrible pain, there was nothing they could do to save her. Her dad had taken the photos so she could look back when she was older and think, 'thank goodness I got through that.' But she didn't get through it, she died. Someone commented 'OMG, you wouldn't keep an animal alive if they were suffering like that.' And they were correct.

When I look back, I can't believe I went through labour and gave birth to a human being. I remember having nightmares about it for a few weeks afterwards but they went away. I think we women don't get enough credit for producing human beings from inside us.

Last edited by KitLily on 16 Nov 2022, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 2:46 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
We also put our sick away, in homes and hospitals, where we can't see them.

I believe it takes practice. When I got ill once, there was a few weeks where it wasn't clear how ill I was and I had to contemplate the possibility that I wouldn't be around much longer. At first that was terrifying, but after a while I got to a place where I could see my death as quite an unimportant thing. It really didn't matter. It's hard to explain to people, particularly since I had a two year old child at the time and she'd have lost her dad if I'd died and that would be terrible for her and I would miss seeing her growing up but it still would have been okay. It's just something that happens. I got very calm about it, my thoughts were, "Okay, if that's all I get, then that's plenty. I had fun. Thankyou." I can't explain it any better than that. I was in my late 30s so I can imagine that people in their 80s, 90s or higher probably feel that even more than I did.

But here's the thing. I don't feel that way any more. I got better and the calmness slowly went away. I can remember feeling it, the being okay with dying soon, but I can't get back to that place where I felt it. I think you have to visit that place frequently to keep death in perspective and the vast majority of us don't until we get older and our bodies start to fail and our friends and family start to die around us.

I suppose people in the past were constantly surrounded by death and illness so they probably came to a more accepting place about it all.

That's why I feel quite glad that I have no friends- I won't get sad when they die because they aren't there.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 10:07 am

We don't give underage teens capital punishment due to brain development and not understanding long term consequences to their actions so we give them life sentences?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 12:26 pm

I don't get why they don't make psych drugs that are chewable fruit flavours.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 9:13 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

It's to stop kids eating them thinking they are sweets. Drugs are meant to taste nasty to put kids and other vulnerable people eating them because they taste nice and then dying or something.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 11:07 am

KitLily wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

It's to stop kids eating them thinking they are sweets. Drugs are meant to taste nasty to put kids and other vulnerable people eating them because they taste nice and then dying or something.

And you also have to keep over the counter meds for kids out of reach and hidden so they don't eat them thinking it's like candy. I did the same when I was a kid and my mom stopped me and telling me they will make me cry if I eat too many of them. I was eating them for the taste. I ate like two or 3 of them and my mom saw me and yelled at me and pulled the container away telling me it will make me cry. I was about 5 when I did it.

My kids are 8 and 12 now and wouldn't do this because they know.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
And you also have to keep over the counter meds for kids out of reach and hidden so they don't eat them thinking it's like candy. I did the same when I was a kid and my mom stopped me and telling me they will make me cry if I eat too many of them. I was eating them for the taste. I ate like two or 3 of them and my mom saw me and yelled at me and pulled the container away telling me it will make me cry. I was about 5 when I did it.

My kids are 8 and 12 now and wouldn't do this because they know.

Yes, you have to be sooooo careful with little kids. I remember when I was about 5, I found some kind of tablet when we were travelling in the car and ate it. My parents were terrified but I didn't die so I assume it was some kind of sweet someone had left. Phew!

Also I've heard of little kids eating dishwasher tablets, tiny batteries etc. So the more deterrents the better, e.g. making drugs taste disgusting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:29 pm

I don't get why direct sunshine kills my appetite.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 6:53 pm

KitLily wrote:
...Also I've heard of little kids eating dishwasher tablets, tiny batteries etc. So the more deterrents the better, e.g. making drugs taste disgusting.

When I was a kid I would put those little round batteries into my mouth all of the time. I'm really lucky that I never swallowed one. I saw that a toddler died even when they were able to remove one from her stomach, because acid had already leaked out of it so it stayed and kept eating at her insides. Sometimes I'm baffled at how easy it can be to get those small batteries out of things, even things used by kids, after seeing that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 10:39 pm

I don't get why the Tide Pod challenge even happened.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:38 am

I don't get why it's taking so long for someone to point out that I'm an 'intellectual fraud'.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 4:43 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't get why direct sunshine kills my appetite.

That's because you are a vampire 8O :P

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 2:14 pm

^ :lol:

I don't get how people get so excited watching a bunch of men kick a ball around. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 5:40 pm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 7:52 pm

I don't get how I pushed the remote to turn on my TV about 40 minutes ago, and just noticed it's not on.

#ADHD