26 Sep 2022, 9:12 pm

For those who like to hate on Portland.

How Portland Stopped the Proud Boys

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 11:27 pm

Sarcasm:
It was all the Proud Boys and cops. All 100 days. The mayor being forced to flee, that was all the right also.

Proud Boys

Proud Boys Triggered by Anniversary of George Floyd's Death

Proud Boys also

I am glad to read how much better things are there recently

End Sarcasm

I do buy that Antifa is falsely blamed and a lot of the rioting is done by Anarchists, or just people who like to break things and get free stuff. Antifa has not exactly seemed unhappy with the violence being attributed to them.

I don't like to hate on them. I feel sorry for all the innocents caught up in this.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 5:55 am

Interesting article. Points that stuck out to me and/or observations I've drawn from the article:

1. Portland had developed several large and deep protest communities with opposing belief systems. The concept of social activism as a generality had become part of the cities life blood.
2. Brawls became common place; various opposing belief systems seemed to like taking part. It takes two to tango; that can't be blamed on liberals in the way conservatives wanted to. For about five years, it was part of the pulse of the city.
3. It hasn't been unusual for groups and activists to ferment and test out ideas in the city.
4. Such groups and activists have not always been residents.
5. The Oath Keepers et al started to choose other locations when the opposition got stronger.
6. The Oath Keepers were surprised when local law enforcement started charging them for their participation in violence. That hadn't always been the case.
7. When things got deadly, groups put on the breaks.
8. It isn't just the Oath Keepers who have been quiet in Portland; with them gone, the opposition hasn't been organizing, either, and after all the negative publicity in 2020, activists seem less likely to use Portland as a testing ground.