Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 7:36 pm

Are glasses supposed to make things that are far away harder to see when you first get them and before you adjust to wearing them?

I got glasses today and they make things close to me easier to see, but make things farther away harder to see. The eye doctor told me that the opposite would happen until my eyes adjusted, and told me to wear them all the time because I'm apparently farsighted. Things aren't massively blurry, but my aunt said that's not normal. I'm now worried that the prescription I got is wrong and that I wasted time + money getting the glasses. I was really hoping that I'd finally be able to see clearly and I'm kind of upset.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 8:16 pm

At my eye place you can take them back for up to a month, or something like that, if they aren't OK.
They can send them back to the lab for changes if needed.
I would at least mention it to them, and ask if it's normal.

It's hard for me to say because none of my glasses do what they're really supposed to.
When they're new they feel weird, but I can't remember if they do the opposite like yours.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 9:24 pm

I'm going to go back to them tomorrow and ask if it's normal. The glasses thankfully do help me see up close, but they make the glare from lights and the double vision I experience worse from far away, which is already kind of 50% of my problem w/ seeing. I didn't really expect them to help that, but I especially didn't expect them to make it worse. The lady also didn't mention an astigmatism at all, which I was told that I had before and matches up with my problems w/ vision.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 5:18 am

I got glasses for being nearsighted, so I had a different experience. For me the weird part was when I looked down at the ground it looked like it was way up close.

I'd say to do some googling about it. Look for youtube videos that explain what to expect from glasses for farsightedness.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 9:16 am

Mine make things far away easy to see but things close harder.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Sep 2022, 2:31 pm

babybird wrote:
Mine make things far away easy to see but things close harder.
I have a rare low vision disorder & am extremely nearsighted & have some cororblindness & am sensitive to lighting conditions. I have a hard time making out details at distances & glasses do help a tiny bit but it comes at the cost of making my close vision worse. I need to be close to things weather I'm wearing glasses or not but just not quite as close while wearing my glasses. Since wearing glasses makes things like reading kinda harder, I only wore glasses for things like school, work, & going to the movies & such. It's just not worth the trade off for me otherwise.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 3:33 am

Are you able to get a second opinion/get another eye test elsewhere? And they need to make sure your glasses fit you comfortably....when you're able to, make sure you get them to sort that out. They are idiots for rushing you out.

My little niece was wearing the wrong prescription for a long time...the poor thing couldn't see properly and never said anything. A different optometrist picked up on it when she went for a check up.