Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 12:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Man, I didn't have "how dare you suggest I fact check my garbage sources!" on my WP bingo card, that's an, uh, interesting, stance to take.

Apparently any kind of research or fact checking or facts themselves are frowned upon or laughed at. Pretty much anything outside of Facebook is a no go.

Umm, yeah, expecting everyone who reads an article to spend time RESEARCHING the article is in fact laughable.

Could you imagine how many days it would take to read a daily newspaper if that were Actually how people read news articles? :lol:

In conclusion: Get real.

I get it, it's beyond your scope.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 12:51 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Man, I didn't have "how dare you suggest I fact check my garbage sources!" on my WP bingo card, that's an, uh, interesting, stance to take.

Apparently any kind of research or fact checking or facts themselves are frowned upon or laughed at. Pretty much anything outside of Facebook is a no go.

Umm, yeah, expecting everyone who reads an article to spend time RESEARCHING the article is in fact laughable.

Could you imagine how many days it would take to read a daily newspaper if that were Actually how people read news articles? :lol:

FINALLY some progress!

100% it's beyond a news article reader's scope to be expected to RESEARCH the news article.

Now you're catching on. 8)

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:01 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

FINALLY some progress!

100% it's beyond a news article reader's scope to be expected to RESEARCH the news article.

Now you're catching on. 8)

No just your scope. Most everyone else who cares about credibility makes sure the article they're about to post isn't garbage. And most everyone who cares about accuracy does a little fact checking regarding an OP article.

"Oh dear, you mean I shouldn't just accept everything at face value? I have to put in a little bit of effort? Sorry, that's beyond my capability. Oh and you're stupid for doing so yourself *laugh emojis*."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:20 pm

So now your homie benny S and his website aren't credible sources?

Go on..

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
So now your homie benny S and his website aren't credible sources?

Go on..

Since I've hardly listened to or read anything Shapiro has to say, I can't really judge his credibility. However Hank Berrien wrote the article you posted. Although I found out DailyWire+ was conceived by Ben Shapiro and Jeremy Boreing. Uh oh, I did a little bit of research again. That's 12 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:39 pm

What a waste of 12 seconds.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:19 am

Since you all have been discussing what should be researched, and part of my profession is knowing the various levels of authority different sources contain, here are a few notes from my perspective.

Know the reliability of your source. There are organizations that give news sources ratings so that you know when you can put trust into the reporting, and when you can't. But that said, not even a trustworthy reporter will get things right 100% of the time.

As such, I will say things like "according to the article," covering my bases.

Still, if you know that the source of an article has a high fact/reliability rating, one does NOT have to go do their own research for normal discussion and news absorption purposes.

Purpose matters when deciding how much research to do.

If I'm arguing with the IRS, it doesn't matter how trustworthy my editorial source is, I have to go to the original source, ie the tax code or a court case, and quote that.

Other times ... not so much.

Articles by any of the political commentary and entertainment sites cannot be relied upon for accuracy. They choose to omit or misstate facts when it suits the story they want to sell. Many "news" organizations will state in court that they are NOT news, but are opinion or entertainment organizations. FYI, The Daily Wire, for example, makes no claims to be news. Ben Shapiro knows who he is and, from what I've observed, doesn't attempt to hide it. It's opinion. Informed opinion, but opinion.

It's important to know what your source is: they run the full gambit from reliable journalism to pure gossip and click bait, and the nature of the internet allows them to present as if they are equal. They are not.

Even within reliable journalism publications, pay attention to if the article is labeled as "opinion" or "editorial." Such labeling means they don't have to stick to the same fact based standards as a pure news article.

Anyway. Off to do some research that I will get paid for.

PS - I don't watch Ben Shapiro often, but I find him rather entertaining. He's clearly brilliant, but that doesn't mean he's right.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:01 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
PS - I don't watch Ben Shapiro often, but I find him rather entertaining. He's clearly brilliant, but that doesn't mean he's right.

This reminds me of a comment a journalist/podcaster I like made about a rather infamous UK historian who's a well known Holocaust denier, that many people have made the mistake of assuming he'll be easy to debate because the facts are not on his side, but they forget that he's a smart guy and he's been doing this for decades, and if you don't do your homework and have all of your ducks in a perfect row he'll utterly humiliate you and make the audience wonder if he's actually right. I can't think of the guy's name off hand, but he's well known, used to be respectable even until it became apparent that he was going a lot further than questioning some of the numbers.