Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 6:28 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Any reason my post was removed?

Pardon me, but you keep mentioning T****. And it's gone out of fashion.

Edited now

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:11 am

Persephone29 wrote:

Yes, we certainly have enough threads discussing him, so I've requested that several of mine be kept clear of distracting references to him, difficult as that may be for his detractors.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:12 am

Dox47 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Yes, we certainly have enough threads discussing him, so I've requested that several of mine be kept clear of distracting references to him, difficult as that may be for his detractors.

Did you bother to read the article?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:17 am

goldfish21 wrote:
When’s the last time four ruffians broke into yours or anyone you personally know’s home, necessitating a musket response?

It's become distressingly common in the Seattle area these days, it's virtually impossible for a certain type of homeless addict to get arrested around here, and that's made some of them quite brazen. A guy in my old neighborhood had to shoot and kill one who broke into his house last year, he went well above and beyond what the law requires too, retreating further and further into his own house while yelling at the guy that he was armed and would shoot, but the guy kept coming and cornered him.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:28 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yeah yeah, a UK rag says America is a racist country and black people are afraid of the bad orange man, it's all so tiresome.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:40 am

Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yeah yeah, a UK rag says America is a racist country and black people are afraid of the bad orange man, it's all so tiresome.

Boy if that isn't a racist statement I don't know what counts as one on this forum.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:44 am

Dox47 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Seems a strange request for the forum to honour - especially if the former guy is legitimately referenced. Kinda weird to accommodate one forum members' inability to process relevant criticisms of the former guy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:46 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Boy if that isn't a racist statement I don't know what counts as one on this forum.

Wut? I don't think it's racist. How so? :?

@dox - Canada thinks the same as your assessment of the UK for the most part. In general, anyways - not 100% absolutes about every single American citizen.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Oct 2022, 6:42 am

! Cornflake wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Seems a strange request for the forum to honour - especially if the former guy is legitimately referenced. Kinda weird to accommodate one forum members' inability to process relevant criticisms of the former guy.
Not at all.

As I'd pointed out to cyberdad Trump is mentioned once in the entire article and even then only as a brief mention at the end. It covers many more aspects of why black people are buying more guns and those are addressed in considerably more detail than any alleged "Trump effect" might have had.

To then attempt to introduce Trump into yet another thread on the basis of that brief mention, while ignoring the many more salient points which ironically, are related to this topic - is tenuous at best and considering the number of times Trump is shoehorned into threads not directly about him, it's something we should be seeing less of.
We're already aware of his malignant influence and its toxic legacy; there's nothing to be gained by restating it.

I'd also point out my earlier post on that: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=408997&p=9147084#p9147084

By all means post about Trump; just don't introduce him into a thread which is clearly about other, wider issues unrelated to him.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 7:21 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Wut? I don't think it's racist. How so? :?

The whole dismissive attitude towards black people having issues with how they're being treated by the US government even to this day really irks me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:21 am

Cornflake wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Not at all.

As I'd pointed out to cyberdad Trump is mentioned once in the entire article and even then only as a brief mention at the end. It covers many more aspects of why black people are buying more guns and those are addressed in considerably more detail than any alleged "Trump effect" might have had.

To then attempt to introduce Trump into yet another thread on the basis of that brief mention, while ignoring the many more salient points which ironically, are related to this topic - is tenuous at best and considering the number of times Trump is shoehorned into threads not directly about him, it's something we should be seeing less of.
We're already aware of his malignant influence and its toxic legacy; there's nothing to be gained by restating it.

I'd also point out my earlier post on that: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=408997&p=9147084#p9147084

By all means post about Trump; just don't introduce him into a thread which is clearly about other, wider issues unrelated to him.[/mod]

You sure?

It's the op, Dox47, that mentioned trump. So, yeah, seems odd to me 100% to have the former guy banned from being referenced in this thread when the op that allegedly made that request has referenced him 3x by name in one post.. in this thread.

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
It seems gun ownership is also tied to fear of not being able to buy/own guns anymore. Or at least that's what was reported about Obama being the greatest gun salesman in America, ever.. seeing as more guns were sold during his presidency than any other to date.

Just googled to see if that was still the case.. nope, Joey B takes the cake now. Americans have bought way more guns in the last 2 years than ever. This time I don't think it's because people believe Biden is about to cancel gun sales - haven't really seen any headlines like that this time around.. more so it's likely preparation for civil unrest - definitely been plenty of headlines about that.

Just scroll down the google results and skim the headlines - gun sales have been pretty cyclical depending on who's in the whitehouse:

https://www.google.com/search?q=most+gu ... e&ie=UTF-8

This is largely true, I actually bought my first AR15 in 2016 when I thought for sure Hilary was going to win, as I wanted to get one before the prices spiked in anticipation of her pushing a ban (I was thinking I might flip it for cash if the prices went up enough). Then Trump won, and the bottom fell out of the AR15 market, all the companies had been running their assembly lines 24/7 in anticipation of an incoming Democratic administration pushing gun control and spiking demand, but with Trump in office the industry experienced what became known as the Trump Slump, and suddenly guns got really, really cheap, particularly the standardized models like the AR15 and the G3 Glocks that are off patent and thus have multiple manufacturers. I was able to buy multiple AR build kits for under $400 each and fell in love with the platform, which I'd previously turned my nose up at as boring and overpriced, once I realized just how modular and easy to work on it is and how many variations and modifications could be made to it. There's also the fun fact that the modular design makes it easy to skirt guns laws with it, as the only controlled part, the receiver, can be built into many different configurations, including rifles, pistols, shotguns, and "firearms" (configurations that don't fit any of the standard definitions and thus exist in a legal grey area), so when you buy a stripped receiver it transfers as an "other" that doesn't trigger any waiting periods or training requirements, plus the government doesn't know what you built it into. But I digress.

You could definitely see the effect you described here in Washington state, where our anti gun AG Turd Ferguson pushed through a ten round magazine restriction earlier in the year in a shady middle of the night legislative session, and the result was that basically every standard capacity magazine in the state was bought up overnight, and every gun company in the country prioritized shipping to Washington right up to the eve of the ban taking effect in July, flooding the state with more magazines than ever would have been sold had that jackass not pushed his stupid law on us. His law isn't even long for this world either, as the Bruen decision makes it unconstitutional, and it's going to fall along with the one in the PRK once the 9th circus stops pretending they don't understand the plain English of the ruling. I'd like to see the man afflicted with the most painful and undignified form of asscancer for screwing with my rights like this, but I'll settle for seeing his face when his crowning legislative achievement turns to ash in his mouth.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:30 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
The whole dismissive attitude towards black people having issues with how they're being treated by the US government even to this day really irks me.

What are you even talking about? I was being dismissive of another poster's source and the very predictable argument he was trying to use it to make, I don't know where you're getting this other stuff from.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Oct 2022, 11:30 am

goldfish21 wrote:
You sure?
Yes.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:55 am

goldfish21 wrote:

It's the op, Dox47, that mentioned trump.

The critical word there is mentioned, I didn't try to bend the thread towards being about him. Just like in my reply to you, I could have replaced his name with "a GOP president" or "a Republican administration", etc, but it's not like the name itself is taboo, I just don't want yet another thread to be all about him.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 1:29 pm

So, if we ignore the distracting references to his orangeness in this article, there are actually a few points worth addressing:

Stupid UK Rag

Quote:
Though Black Americans have a multitude of reasons for buying a gun – some new gun owners told the Guardian about stress related to the pandemic, others about the anxiety of seeing scores of armed white protesters rallying against lockdown orders or the election results – many had a common experience in the process of obtaining one. They were met with apathy, and in some cases disrespect, from white gun store owners, gun club members and at shooting ranges.

Underline is mine.

This is a great example of the sort of crossed wires that can occur when you're looking for racism everywhere, as rude clerks at gunshops and ranges are positively infamous in the shooting community, it's well known that they're the worst; rude, dismissive, think they know everything about guns because they sell them retail, etc. I experience it all the time, just last week I was in my LGS buying ammo and it was like pulling teeth to get the (Asian) clerk to acknowledge me and deign to ring up my purchase, didn't even return my "thanks" when he handed my ammo over, just turned his back, and that's a common interaction at this type of shop. It's even worse when they find out my education and what I do for a living, it instantly turns into a one sided dick measuring contest, and I've heard it all, "oh, well you don't really learn about guns until you've worked in a shop, we see and handle everything...", it's really obnoxious, but it's universal, not racial.

Quote:
“June 2020 – when the riots were hitting different cities – my students increased,” said Rogers Anderson, who is the commander of the Black Gun Owners Association’s Oakland/Bay Area chapter and conducts training sessions at northern California shooting ranges. “Now 99.9% of my students are either single Black women or Black women with children who fear for their safety,” Anderson said.

Huh, that really sounds like the driving factor was the civil unrest following the Floyd protests, not that other thing that was suggested.

Quote:
Matthews had sought out the training after being utterly disappointed last March when picking up her weapon – a 9mm handgun, selected on the recommendation of her brother. She found the store’s clerk to be unfriendly, rushing her out without showing her basic skills like locking and loading the gun.

“I didn’t feel any comfort once I brought the gun home because I didn’t know what I was doing,” she said. “I couldn’t pull it out, cause if I did, the person would use it on me.”

There's that rude clerk again, but to be fair, it's not really the job of a retail salesperson to teach you how to use the product you're purchasing, that's beyond the scope of their duties. If the shop had a range attached, it would have been nice to send the woman over there for a little instruction, but that may not have been the case, and many shop and range operations are actually incorporated as separate businesses for insurance reasons (it's quite complicated and annoying why).

Quote:
Nathan Adams, a 46-year-old northern California business owner, said he supported California’s strict gun laws before the 2020 election. But the intense focus on entrenched racism in policing led him to conclude that, “some law enforcement and some extremist groups are one in the same.”

Quote:
Nathan Adams said he planned to continue to attend BGOA trainings and be more involved with the group. Early in his gun ownership, he wondered if people would begin to stereotype him when he posted pictures with his firearm to social media. Amid high-profile mass shootings, Adams wondered if he and his fellow Black marksmen were “going to be lumped in with Proud Boy types”.

“People are gonna put their own spin on it and as a part of a community that’s used to being misconstrued I can’t concern myself with that,” Adams said. “We know why we’re doing this and safety is our number one concern.”

Welcome to the club!

I do think it's funny how the Proud Boys are continually represented as a white supremacist organization when so many of their members, including their leaders, are not white; seems like a bit of a contradiction there.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 10:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
When’s the last time four ruffians broke into yours or anyone you personally know’s home, necessitating a musket response?

It's become distressingly common in the Seattle area these days, it's virtually impossible for a certain type of homeless addict to get arrested around here, and that's made some of them quite brazen. A guy in my old neighborhood had to shoot and kill one who broke into his house last year, he went well above and beyond what the law requires too, retreating further and further into his own house while yelling at the guy that he was armed and would shoot, but the guy kept coming and cornered him.

A slime ball in my home town was arrested for breaking into an occupied home during a state of emergency (Hurricane Ian).

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.