Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:58 am

I think it's very unlikely you get very sick with Covid, but I'm a bit worried about your BF. If you have it, it's hard for him to not get it from you. Good news is that I hear that it's not as deadly as it used to. Even many of those that were expected to get very sick or even die don't get sick enough to be hospitalized now.

I also haven't had Covid yet as far as I know. Although it's scary, I'm curious about how well my immune system will handle it. I'm worried about catching and giving it to my parents when I visit them.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 10:04 am

I had covid last Thanskgiving (almost a year ago). It was flu plus loss of smell. But, interestingly enough, it didn't affect my breathing (my oxygen was 98). So perfect breathing, in combination with lack of smell, felt like a bunch of fresh air all around. However, the bad part is that my smell didn't come back for few weeks, and when it did, I smell things weirdly. I called it "covid smell". Interestingly enough, some smells ended up being stronger than they used to. Like the lobby of my math building started to have a really strong smell that it never had before.

Few months later (probably around March or so) I had influenza. But no, not covid: I actually tested negative when I had it. But, due to influenza, I lost the smell again. I was scared. But then the smell came back, and it came back as normal: the lobby didn't have that strong smell any more. Which is kind of ironic, really. Because after covid I couldn't wait for lobby to stop having that smell. Then during influenza when lobby had "no" smell, I really wanted that strong smell to come back. But then when a "mild" smell came back, I was like "phew ... finally!"

However, while for the most part things smell a lot more normal, still some of the things smell weirdly even now. The foods that I eat regularly, taste+smell as it should. But if suddenly I eat something I haven't eaten for months, then I notice weird smell again (not taste but smell -- as in you know how when you eat food you can smell it from the inside, so if the food is spoiled sometimes it tastes okay but smells bad, thats what I mean -- except that it doesn't smell rotten, just plain weird). Also I notice that my armpits smell totally different from how they used to. Which is a good thing. Since their post-covid smell is stronger than pre-covid one, so I can easily tell when I need a shower.

But anyway, back to your concern. So I got a job in community college for this fall (by the way the word "college" in America means different thing from England: in England its like high school, in America its first two years of university). So in July I had a one-on-one meeting with one of my supervisors that lasted for two hours. Then the next day I got a text message from covid team to self-isolate because that woman I had a meeting with tested positive for covid. Actually her son had covid and she knew it, but she tested negative so she came, yet then next day she tested positive. In any case, I tested few days later, it was negative. And no I didn't get sick either. I guess I am immune due to having had covid before. But then again, they say that having covid before doesn't get you immune, particularly since it was such a long time before (you only get immuned for 3 months or so I heard). So I guess its all up to luck. So maybe you won't get it just like I didn't. Who knows. Plus in my case I am not vaccinated AT ALL (I have religious exemption) and in your case you had 3 rounds of vaccination. So there is that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 10:25 am

I don't think I would be this worried about it if it wasn't for my boyfriend, as if I was off next week it will get me out of doing a task I hate that I'm going to be doing next week at work. But I fear for my boyfriend. He's had his 4th jab a week ago. He's 25 years older than me. He seems healthy despite having diabetes and COPD but both are under control and monitored by his doctor. He doesn't get ill normally. He smokes but I can't stop that.

I know nobody in this thread was trying to scare me, so don't take this the wrong way, but it reminds me of when my brother was 2 and was going to have an operation to get his tonsils removed. Just as he had gone into the operating room a woman told my mum that she had a 2-year-old who died under the anesthetic when having his tonsils removed. My mum completely lost it and panic set in and she ran to a nurse crying. The woman felt awful for saying that and she apologized, but the nurse did say that she shouldn't have told that to another mum who had just had her child going in for the same operation. Although it is rare and that most people, even babies, come out of theater alive, but that still didn't stop my mum panicking and thinking the worst after hearing that the worst case scenario happened to somebody else.

So my brain is telling me that the worst is going to happen. I'm trying to reassure myself by thinking of all the people I know who have had covid (which is nearly everybody) of all different ages and vaccination status and health state, etc, and have all survived. I only know one person who was in hospital with covid and that was back in 2020 before any vaccines and when the virus was at its worst. In 2022 most people I know got covid and none got ill. But I'm still fretting about it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 10:32 am

I think what you are worrying about overall, is how you will cope when / if your boyfriend passes away.
It's logical to worry about it in the big picture, since he's 25 years older.
I hate to say, but chances are he will pass before you even if it's decades from now.

It's likely intensified because of losing your mother, and being in the midst of bereavement.

Maybe it would help for you to confront those fears with him.
Have some talks about his Will or other financial matters.

I hope I'm not sounding like that woman who frightened your mum.
That's not my intent.
If anything I'm hoping you will take this scare and use it as a learning opportunity.

Preparation and information could help you to feel more secure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 12:09 pm

Yes I am aware that he will probably pass away before me, which I don't like to think about. But even so, I still don't want him to suffer with a bad case of covid, not just because of fear of losing him but because I don't want him to be ill, for his sake. It's unpleasant to feel ill, but when you have been exposed to covid it makes you worry more, because of it being a contagious virus with horror stories attached to it.

I'm a pessimist. If bad things happen to other people I can't help thinking that it's going to happen to me (or people I love). I struggle with seeing the positive chances of things. Something bad has already happened to me, which was my own mum dying from stage 4 cancer. I never thought that would ever happen in my family. But these bad things have just as much chance of happening to me as they do anyone.

For example, just think of all the people that have died in a plane crash that have happened over the decades. Their loved ones might have said to them "planes are the safest way to travel, it won't happen to you, you'll be fine". But then it did happen to them. So just because I'm Joe90 it doesn't mean I'm untouchable to all the bad things that could happen to a human. Why shouldn't it happen to me?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 12:31 pm

[ A passing thought ]
Personally have noticed that as I grew my immune system was waxing and waning at different times . Generally this effected my stamina , quite serious sometimes now . Having to lay down each day , for last many years for 20 mins
And relax … in order to be able to address the rest of the day . It helped if I was religious about it .
Seems from self observations: Seen my immune system to be at its best just after getting up ,on my good days, Used to supplement with coffee. Now have stopped that usually in favour of small amounts in the early afternoon , if I do at all.
Found if you can figure out what supplements your immune system likes , you can be on the road to possibly helping. It out . And after a week or so of using whatever aides your immune function. You might see some satisfying
Results . Usually if you keep those on hand and use them regularly. You can help maintain immune function . :nerdy:
It is literally , for some , “the very most important thing in life”. If haven’t got your health, You haven’t got Anything .
Me: been fighting autoimmune stuff for a long time , Uber many doctors been through. :( Stuff I wrote above is based on those experiences over a long period of time. :ninja:

( just a thought based on recent experiences, might try out supplement called COq10.) think it could be helping my immune function significantly , amongst the normal good supplements (daily vitamins). :D
{Only offered a thought}

Have been told negative thoughts can somehow weirdly attract negativity to your self . :skull: …….. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 12:56 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 12:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
For me, I felt more the emotions of having COVID than how it physically made me feel.

Sweet Pea hugs

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:01 pm

Jakki wrote:
Had Covid back around Christmas , had to be transported by ambulance a short distance..but was not very lucid.
Apparently it had helped a form of pnuemonia get a solid foothold in my lungs triple pnuemonia . Due to being used to a high level of of medically unaddressed inflammation throughout my system . It has become constantly hard to judge my health condition . So , they told me that had nearly died after I got out of the hospital . Took immaculate care of my health and had a slow recovery. But since then never had anything that seemed like Covid.
If you get it , You will most likely recover, very well . Have heard like most above people , many peoples bodies
Deal with it like a Cold. And it seems to go away like a cold . Know several people whom , their entire family had it in a milder form , And the husband in the family never got it . Even living in close proximity to his family .
Oddly enough , he has never been jabbed either. But this fellow is very healthy by all appearances.
Please , I hope you do not get it . Think best is to just follow all the practical precautions you can :mrgreen:

Sweet Pea hugs

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:15 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Had Covid back around Christmas , had to be transported by ambulance a short distance..but was not very lucid.
Apparently it had helped a form of pnuemonia get a solid foothold in my lungs triple pnuemonia . Due to being used to a high level of of medically unaddressed inflammation throughout my system . It has become constantly hard to judge my health condition . So , they told me that had nearly died after I got out of the hospital . Took immaculate care of my health and had a slow recovery. But since then never had anything that seemed like Covid.
If you get it , You will most likely recover, very well . Have heard like most above people , many peoples bodies
Deal with it like a Cold. And it seems to go away like a cold . Know several people whom , their entire family had it in a milder form , And the husband in the family never got it . Even living in close proximity to his family .
Oddly enough , he has never been jabbed either. But this fellow is very healthy by all appearances.
Please , I hope you do not get it . Think best is to just follow all the practical precautions you can :mrgreen:

Sweet Pea hugs

Thank You very much (((CockneyRebel )))

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:27 pm

I would eat and drink things that boost the immune system.
Take your vitamins, eat healthy good food, and maybe look into immune boosting herbs like goldenseal and ginseng.There are teas that taste good, lemon balm is anti-viral and tulsi is also good.Milk thistle is good for the liver.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 1:58 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I would eat and drink things that boost the immune system.
Take your vitamins, eat healthy good food, and maybe look into immune boosting herbs like goldenseal and ginseng.There are teas that taste good, lemon balm is anti-viral and tulsi is also good.Milk thistle is good for the liver.

Don't like tea.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 2:08 pm

You can get the same benefit from capsules.It’s cheaper to buy herbs in bulk and pack into empty gel caps.
https://greatist.com/health/herbs-for-c ... elderberry

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 5:47 pm

Another thought from various docs have been treated by was , oddly enough Some types of Food can be helpful to the immune system . As well as your gut flora , ( same as good yoghurts), to help you be able to absorb what you eat . This stuff is almost too much to learn about . Gut flora is surprisingly a big player in your body competency for being able to use your nutrition . (These are based on personal experiences and much reading and self testing.). :nerdy:

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 10:39 pm

I had it at the end of the summer. I did wish I had taken a fever reducer sooner. As soon as I got the fever down, I got better. It was only a couple of days long, though.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 12:11 pm

Looking at someone with covid is not how it's transmitted. That's not how viral transmission works.. at all. It's very contagious, but that's now how it works. You have to inhale or ingest the virus.

With 3 jabs And the fact that covid is a milder virus now, you're very likely to have a mild illness if you do get it - which you aren't guaranteed to have caught it just because you were exposed to it.

If you did get it, the severity of it is also dose dependent - as in it depends how many virus cells you inhaled.. a few ? You could be asymptomatic. Tonnes? You could get ill and really notice it.

Also, if you have covid now you won't Need the 4th jab for another 6 months as you'll have natural immunity from the illness. I just had covid and just became eligible for a 4th shot but I may as well put it off for at least 6 months.

6/12 of us came back from an Alaskan cruise with covid. My dad is the most vulnerable - cancer/heart condition/diabetes.. chemo/radiation = no immune system, but he'd already had his 4th shot before we went and his case was very mild.

Worst symptom for me was being fatigued for about a month. I'm almost back to normal now/pretty good - I can do exercise or work etc, now I just need to get back in motion regularly and build Strength again after a month or so of lazy.

Even without jabs, covid is a WAY MILDER illness, on average, than it was in the beginning. People who get hospitalized tend to need ibuprofen and chicken soup, not 24/7 monitoring from 10' away to make sure they don't die. Very few people are dying from/with covid anymore. Long covid isn't affecting a high % of people so the chances of that are low, too.

With the evolution of the virus + the jabs, covid has almost been reduced to an endemic cold virus. There are a few annoying symptoms and potentially lasting effects, BUT, there's zip, zilch, Nada we can do about them so no sense in worrying at all. Just live, catch a covid cold, feel a bit tingly in the front of your head for a week, maybe have a touch of a sore throat, blow your nose a few times, feel really tired and fatigued and then get back to life and carry on until the next time you catch a cold or flu. I haven't checked the numbers, but I'd guess covid's true current death rate is down closer to that of the seasonal flu vs. how it started. Basically, only really old people who were going to die from the next sniffle they got are likely to die from covid these days - as that's how many people go out.. they're in their 90's with no immune system and any cold virus can be the death of them. You're young, you'll be fine if/when you do get covid.