Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:32 pm

^ Thanks for the reassurance. But I just think, if covid isn't as lethal any more then why are people still required to self-isolate if they're tested positive? Or is it to protect elderly people?

I was exposed to covid last Tuesday, which was about 5 days ago. I have been coughing a little since Friday, with a feeling of heaviness in my chest in the night, but I've taken a few covid tests and it keeps coming back negative. I don't feel I have covid anyway, like I don't have a fever with the cough or anything. But I think the cough is from the chemicals I use at work, as I've been inhaling a lot of disinfectant lately and it's itching my lungs. So I think that's it, but I'm still taking covid tests just to be sure.

I've got my 4th jab this Friday so I'm paranoid in case I have covid but don't know it even though the tests keep coming up negative. I heard it's dangerous to have a covid jab while you have covid. I also heard it's dangerous to have a jab when you have an autoimmune disease, which is why I've been paranoid about suddenly getting that because of having ASD. I hate the stories people put on here about autistic people's immune systems are different and that we're more susceptible to such deadly diseases. Makes me hate autism even more and not know my own body.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 2:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
But I just think, if covid isn't as lethal any more then why are people still required to self-isolate if they're tested positive? Or is it to protect elderly people?

Protect the elderly, yes.

And also long covid. Some studies show that after covid your brain ages by 10 years. I personally don't feel like my brain functions any differently than before. But then again, there is no way to really test it. So the fact that I read it makes me kinda worried.

I would say things like long term brain damage or long term lung damage are bigger concerns than actual death. Unless you are concerned about the elderly or something.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:09 am

Quote:
Some studies show that after covid your brain ages by 10 years.

In that case I don't want me or my boyfriend to catch it then.

Does that mean covid could give people in their 70s Alzheimer's?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:24 am

I’ve had COViD twice. I haven’t lost anything “brainwise.”

I don’t want to get COVID, rather like I don’t want to get the flu.

The last time I was truly “sick in bed” was in 2000, when I had a 9-day flu. I never was “sick in bed” even when I had 3-week COVID in 2020.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 8:43 am

I was "sick in bed" when I had flu in 2019, only for 4 days. I've never been that ill before with any virus. The illest I have been before that was in my teens when my periods were so painful but became immune to pain-killers. That's why I went on the pill.

My grandmother died from norovirus. I believe that can be dangerous in the elderly if they dehydrate, which happened to my grandmother. Plus she was recovering from a broken hip so vomiting caused her great pain too, and her immune system must have been low. I think people should be required to self-isolate from norovirus until 48 hours after they last vomited.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 9:13 am

Joe90 wrote:
Does that mean covid could give people in their 70s Alzheimer's?

I read that some people do get Alzheimer's after covid. They didn't mention their ages though. I assume they are older because if there were a bunch of young people with Alzheimers it would have been much bigger news. They did, however, talk about "brain fog" (whatever it might mean) in reference to all ages.

I read that there were studies where MRI show structural changes in brain after COVID that is of similar severity to brain damage. The brain loses gray matter, for one thing. I have no idea about my own situation because the doctors refused to give me MRI and insisted it only applies to severe cases -- even though what I read expressly states otherwise.

My subjective experience is that my brain works similarly to before. But its frustrating to have to rely on subjective experience instead of having a brain scan.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 9:26 am

I don't want brain damage. I might become really autistic or something, as in lose the social skills I have got. Are these studies just scaremongering or does everyone with covid change afterwards?

Or maybe it might transform my brain into a neurotypical brain. In that case, give me covid please.

Shouldn't covid be taken more seriously then if people are getting brain damage from it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:05 am

I've known quite a few people who have had COVID. None have gotten brain damage. I don't know anybody who has had "long COVID," either.

It is certainly not inevitable that somebody will get anything more than a mild COVID infection. Most people do recover with no complications.

COVID should be taken seriously because the potential for complications from it is greater than the potential for complications from the flu.

One thing to consider: if a person becomes "autistic" because of a COVID infection, that person is still not autistic because a person has to, basically, be born with autism in order to be autistic.

Many people have had COVID from WP. There have been a few who have "long COVID"----but most, including those with compromised immune systems, have recovered quite well from it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've known quite a few people who have had COVID. None have gotten brain damage.

You don't actually know, unless they were tested. Because its hard to subjectively evaluate oneself.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't know anybody who has had "long COVID," either.

I did, in a sense that I lost smell for few weeks, and after my smell came back it was acting weird.

As far as ability to think or do physics, it seems similar to before. But "seems" is a key word. How do I know if they didn't test me? Logically, "some" areas of the brain had to be affected in order for my ability to smell to be so weird. So I guess I could be lucky that only the parts of the brain responsible to smell were affected and nothing else. But is the brain really that disconnected? Thats why I wish they could do a brain scan instead of having me speculate based on subjective experience.

As far as my lungs, they tested my oxygen, it was 98. So my lungs were not affected. I wish they could similarly test the brain. But I guess they are saying its too expansive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 10:56 am

Now I am scared of getting covid. Another man at work is off with covid now, so it's doing its rounds in my workplace.

Will covid make me autistic though, being so I am on the spectrum already? (I don't identify as autistic). What if it gives me epilepsy? Or dyslexia? I might suddenly lose my ability to spell, or to remember my most cherished memories.

I really don't get how covid can cause brain damage in adults though. I understand babies or elderly people, but adults? :? I'm now very paranoid though, as this is news to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 2:00 pm

COVID doesn’t cause autism, dyslexia, epilepsy, etc.

I wish you knew more people who had COVID. I think your aunt had it pretty bad.

Like I said, the vast majority of people who I knew had COVID—just had a cold or flu-like illness, then got over it, and went back to work. The more recent variations seem to cause less-serious illness than previous variants. I know my original COVID was more serious than my BA.5 COVID.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 2:13 pm

Yer well every time you give one of your reassuring replies someone comes along and doubts it. I'm just so scared. :cry:

I do know lots of people who have had covid. In fact nearly everyone I know have had covid and I feel like me and my boyfriend are the only ones who haven't (as far as I know anyway). As far as I know they don't seem to be any different to what they were before they had covid but how am I to really know unless they have a brain scan?

The only one I know who seems to be suffering with long covid is my aunt. She got it just after Christmas and was very unwell with it (I can't remember if she'd had her second jab by then or not). Ever since she got covid her immune system has been low and she's had norovirus and several colds since. She still can't taste properly even now. I don't want to lose my taste. :(

I think the way covid affects everyone so differently is what is so scary about it, as you don't know your fate until you get it. One healthy 30-year-old might get it real bad while a 70-year-old might hardly know he has it. Also I'm due for my 4th jab this Friday but I don't know if I should go for it if I've been exposed to covid. I mean I could have covid but be so asymptomatic that the test isn't picking it up.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 2:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
COVID doesn’t cause autism, dyslexia, epilepsy, etc.

It doesn't cause the things you listed, but it still causes Alzcheimer. The difference is that autism/dyslexia is what you are born with, Alzcheimer is the effect of brain aging. Covid accelerates brain aging. Hence it can cause Alzcheimer but not those other things.

With Alzcheimer I would assume it applies only to old people. But with young people they still say they can get brain fog from it, lose gray matter, and age by 10 years. Since aging by 10 years doesn't cause autism/dislexia, neither does covid. But losing 10 years of your working brain time is still quite dramatic regardless.

Thats why I wish they could do brain scans to most people. If we were talking about autism/dislexia then simply looking at a person would be enough to say they didn't get it. But if we talk about brain aging, then we can't really tell unless we do brain scan.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 2:50 pm

Also, newsflash: Covid is now endemic. Virtually every single human is going to get it - and probably multiple times.. just like every other circulating cold and flu virus. So, since there's nothing you can do about it, there's no sense in worrying about it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:00 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Also, newsflash: Covid is now endemic. Virtually every single human is going to get it - and probably multiple times.. just like every other circulating cold and flu virus. So, since there's nothing you can do about it, there's no sense in worrying about it.

So we'll all get brain damaged then.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:25 pm

Joe90 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

So we'll all get brain damaged then.

Maybe ?

Again, it’s endemic and everyone is going to get it - repeatedly - so what’s the sense in worrying yourself sick over it? :?