Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 7:21 am

Please read every word in this post as all information I have provided is essential. I need reassurance and true information. If you're bored of me, turn away.

Someone at work has been tested positive for covid yesterday. He came in to work yesterday thinking it was just a cold but then went home sick and looked very ill. He's only my age but I don't know if he's been jabbed or not. We were all in close proximity with each other the day before in a meeting we had at work, and on Monday I sat next to him during lunch (I don't know if he had it then but it was only 2 days before he was tested positive).

My boyfriend (vulnerable) had his 4th jab last week but I heard it takes 3 weeks for it to become fully effective so he might get sick if he gets covid. I'm due for my 4th jab next week but I might not be able to have it then if I get this covid.

I've been run down lately, my immune system hasn't been strong so does that mean I'm going to get really sick with covid? The glands in my neck are still swollen but please don't give me a shopping list of what foods I should eat to strengthen my immune system because it doesn't just cure you in a day, it takes weeks. I've already been ill with a mouth infection that traveled down to my throat but that's just about healed up now.

I don't know what to do. I'm beside myself here. I'm scared my boyfriend is going to get sick or even die, despite being fully jabbed. If the newest strain of covid isn't deadly now then why are we still required to isolate when tested positive? And I heard from a nurse that I know that there are still people being treated in hospital with covid. And what if I'm unlucky enough to get long covid? My aunt got long covid, she got it at Christmas as still hasn't got her taste back properly.

I'm so worried. :cry: I've been exposed to it at work so I'll 100% get it now. I know it's that contagious and I know that you've only got to look at someone with it and you'll get it. :cry:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 7:39 am

You might end up with it since it's very contagious. Be prepared to stay away from your bf as much as you can, but chances are he'll get it if you do. I caught it 1st of September and was extremely sick, more than I imagined. I've only had the original two jabs so maybe that made it worse. I didn't go near my daughter at all (different bathroom, different meals and dishes), but she ended up with it about two days after me. She's had four vaccines and she's severely immunocompromised. She takes three different medications to kill her immune system. It was pretty scary because when the original Covid happened, doctors said she could die from it. When she had Covid she was very, very sick for about 48 hours (I almost called an ambulance), but then she rebounded. Overall she healed faster than I did. I'm still coughing like I have pneumonia a month later. She is totally fine, apart from lingering exhaustion.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 7:53 am

Oh God.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:04 am

I had it twice, it lasted about 2-4 weeks and was like a bad flu.

Only a small percentage of people who get it actually die, and as that person Isabella knows had a compromised immune system but still didnt die. So I dont think youll die.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:06 am

I took immuno-suppressants for years, pre-covid. So I’ve always been paranoid, but also acted defensively.

For example, if I run my hands down a stair banister, I make sure I wash my hands before touching my face. I avoid crowded places (that’s quite a relief, tbh). I always wash my hands before eating and after going out and about. I also carry hand gel around with me and wear gloves all the time in winter. In all this time I never caught a single cold, flu or snuffle.

I used to work with one of those “heroes” who insists on struggling into work with a cold and coughing all over me. I stayed away from him… if he hadn’t been my boss I would have told him to eff off. Now I don’t work, so all’s good.

Covid obviously didn’t help… but I was extra careful, hardly been out, in fact. I had my 4th booster a week ago, doubled up with a flu vaccine and it all made me very unwell, just beginning to feel better now. I’m actually very bored with feeling paranoid about it, but we’ll have to see how that one goes.

Best wishes.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:18 am

I wasn't trying to scare you but you said you wanted true information. I've heard of many people who caught it recently and they didn't get very sick at all (e.g., Kraftiekortie said it was like a cold). You might not catch it, or if you do it might not be as severe as what I had. Be prepared for either scenario, though.

I pointed out about my daughter being immuncompromised so you'd see that she didn't die. Her preexisting health condition damaged all her organs including her kidneys and heart, so I was worried she would have kidney failure when she had Covid. She didn't. I remember her rolled in a ball sobbing with a really high fever and she couldn't eat for several days. She lost 15 pounds in just 2-3 days because of her system fighting so hard. She's totally fine now apart from being tired.

Like Trueno said, it's important to do careful hygiene. Before and during my illness I was fastidious about disinfecting things. I still disinfect groceries and surfaces every day. I still wear a mask (N95) when I'm out, and I wash my hands / clothes every time I come home. Unfortunately we got it anyway because someone had been to a wedding before coming to my house. They ended up with Covid just before me, so I think it came from the wedding they attended. It's crazy how easily it seems to travel, but with any luck you won't get it at all or else you'll have a mild case.

I really don't think your bf will die from it. I have breathing issues and a blood clot disorder. I've had strokes. I survived just fine even though the first few days were like hell on Earth. I won't even describe how bad it was.

Stuff you might want, in preparation: Cold drinks (I couldn't get enough), sugar (I was craving like no tomorrow, which is very unusual for me), a pulse-oximeter to check your oxygen levels, and a thermometer to know how bad your fever is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:28 am

Like Isabella said, I had COVID, and it was basically a four-day cold. My wife didn't catch it from me.

If you have home tests, test yourself every three days, or if you have symptoms.

I've known quite a few people with COVID, too. All recent cases were quite mild, cold-like.

I think of COVID as more of a nuisance than something really serious for a decent majority of people.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:37 am

My boyfriend did catch it from me, even though we don't live together.
I saw him once between the time I likely got it, and the time I got sick.
He had three jabs, and his was like a bad flu.

His didn't spread to anyone in his family.
Thank goodness, because this was right before his brother's wedding.

I think there are still different strains out there and it's not all Omicron.

Good luck and I hope you don't get it, but if you do I'm sure you'll survive.
I remember you were terrified of getting vaccinated.
That ended up being OK for you, and I think you said you even liked it. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:42 am

For me, I felt more the emotions of having COVID than how it physically made me feel.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:48 am

I know you wasn't trying to scare me IsabellaLinton. I am glad your daughter survived and that you both got through it.

My boyfriend has COPD and diabetes but both are under control by medication and he seems more healthier than me lately, as I've been unwell with a mouth infection which traveled to my throat and lungs. I had a fever and was in pain for nearly 2 weeks, even after taking painkillers and doing everything under the sun to help the infection go. The doctor gave me a medicated mouthwash and now it has gone. I did do a test for covid 2 weeks ago when it all started but it was negative. I still don't have much of an appetite though and due to that I'm suffering from anemia, although I am eating meat and green vegetables so I think that is making me feel stronger.

I think it's hearing all this "autistic people are more likely to have autoimmune diseases" on WP has made me become very paranoid in case I have it without knowing or the mouth infection could be caused by an underlying autoimmune disease. The doctor did check my blood count with one of those things you put on your finger and it measures your pulse or whatever, and it was normal.

My elderly grandparents got covid a few months ago, both in their 80s and both have weak immune systems and other health problems but they didn't get ill with it. They'd had all 4 jabs. Has your daughter been that ill with other viruses before, such as flu or norovirus or cough? Because it sounds like she's vulnerable to everything, not just covid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:50 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My boyfriend did catch it from me, even though we don't live together.
I saw him once between the time I likely got it, and the time I got sick.
He had three jabs, and his was like a bad flu.

His didn't spread to anyone in his family.
Thank goodness, because this was right before his brother's wedding.

I think there are still different strains out there and it's not all Omicron.

Good luck and I hope you don't get it, but if you do I'm sure you'll survive.
I remember you were terrified of getting vaccinated.
That ended up being OK for you, and I think you said you even liked it. 8)

I only liked it because it made me tired and I like sleeping well, as normally I have trouble falling asleep due to ADHD. But I slept like a log, 12 hours a night, when I was ill a week ago.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:03 am

Had Covid back around Christmas , had to be transported by ambulance a short distance..but was not very lucid.
Apparently it had helped a form of pnuemonia get a solid foothold in my lungs triple pnuemonia . Due to being used to a high level of of medically unaddressed inflammation throughout my system . It has become constantly hard to judge my health condition . So , they told me that had nearly died after I got out of the hospital . Took immaculate care of my health and had a slow recovery. But since then never had anything that seemed like Covid.
If you get it , You will most likely recover, very well . Have heard like most above people , many peoples bodies
Deal with it like a Cold. And it seems to go away like a cold . Know several people whom , their entire family had it in a milder form , And the husband in the family never got it . Even living in close proximity to his family .
Oddly enough , he has never been jabbed either. But this fellow is very healthy by all appearances.
Please , I hope you do not get it . Think best is to just follow all the practical precautions you can :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:05 am

Sorry it was so rough on you, Jakki.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:15 am

Thank you Kraftie , very kind of you to write the above. :D :heart: :D

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:17 am

I don't think Thrush is related to any type of AI. It's usually from stress or from other medications that you might have been taking at the time. I'm glad you got it treated and you're starting to feel better.

It's unlikely you have an AI without having a long history of unusual symptoms. Most people who have autoimmune disorders are in and out of doctors for years, having scores of blood tests with borderline or atypical results for any number of conditions. Many of these people end up feeling like doctors aren't taking them seriously. Then they get to a Rheumatologist and (with luck), they finally get diagnosed through even more testing which might take a year or more.

Are you diagnosed with anaemia from a blood test, or are you just "feeling like" you have anaemia? That's not an autoimmune condition, but it would still require blood draws.

Daughter:
When she was a baby she was extremely sick and hospitalised from an infection called C-Difficile. It's bacterial. The medication was killing her bone marrow so she had to stop. She continued having strange illnesses or fevers about once a year, usually in January. She would get fevers of 104 but doctors could never figure out what they were. They would say "it's a virus", but she didn't really have viral symptoms other than the fevers.

As a teen she got progressively more sick and the symptoms became more defined. She had crippling joint pain and inflammation but kept testing negative for arthritis. She has stomach issues but tested negative for dozens of things. She was so weak she had to quit school, and then quit work, because she could barely walk. At school she hadn't had the strength to carry her laptop in a backpack. Her diagnosis took about two years between the GP and her Rheumatologist. She was dx with SLE (Systemic Lupus) which means her immune system was eating her joints, and it progressed into Lupus Nephritis, meaning her immune system is attacking her kidneys, heart, and other organs. She may need a kidney transplant in the future if her kidneys continue deteriorating.

Because her immune system is so aggressive, she takes immunosuppressants to stop it from working. The meds essentially kill her immune system to save her kidneys. That's why she was at risk with Covid. When she's on meds (without an immune system) she can't fight Covid and it can attack her weakened kidneys, but if she stops taking immunosuppressants her immune system will strengthen again and go into overdrive like before, attacking her kidneys and thinking they are a foreign invader to the body. It's a major Catch 22. That's why I've been so paranoid about getting Covid all along.

Does she get other viruses?
Yes. She almost always has a sore throat and cough. This is likely because she has no immune system when she's on the Lupus meds. She also has a condition called Cyclical Vomiting Disorder which makes her vomit repeatedly for no reason, a few days per month. On top of that she has Epilepsy, ASD, ADHD, and trauma.

It's always fun and games at Chateau Linton.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 9:33 am

I've never been the type to get ill. I've never been in hospital, the only times I have been in hospital is to have planned operations in my ears as I suffered with glue ear and needed grommets that had to be removed through another operation. So I've never actually been ill in hospital or rushed to hospital or anything like that. I've never even broken a bone in my life.

Yes I do think oral thrush was brought on by stress. I had huge anxiety attacks just before it came on, and I got so depressed and angry with myself because I was reminded how much I suck at making friends, that I slapped myself in the head angrily. I suppose you've only got to go back and look at some of my posts from last month to see how much distress I was in.

But that means my immune system is low, because I have swollen glands in my neck still. I don't know if you get ill if your otherwise healthy immune system is temporarily low, I don't know.