Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Dissociation in ASD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Sep 2022, 10:28 pm

Hi everyone! I last posted a little over a year ago to announce the publication of a study that people here participated in ("Interpersonal Trauma And Posttraumatic Stress In Autistic Adults"). I'm thrilled to announce a second publication from the same dataset, "PTSD in Autistic Adults: Correlates of Meeting DSM–5 Criteria and Predictors of Professional Diagnosis." For anyone who doesn't have access to the journal, I'd be happy to send you a copy if you're interested in reading it.

The main takeaways are that autistic adults who meet criteria for PTSD have worse mental health, more difficulties functioning, and less employment than those without PTSD. They also report more traumas and interpersonal victimization. This is true regardless of whether or not they have a professional diagnosis of PTSD. PTSD was underdiagnosed overall; 44% of the study sample (n=677) met criteria for PTSD, but only 20% had a professional PTSD diagnosis. Accordingly, my co-authors and I also wanted to understand some of the risks for an autistic adult with PTSD not being diagnosed.

We found that among those who meet criteria for PTSD, a professional PTSD diagnosis is more likely if they're older, a woman or gender minority, unemployed or on disability, have more severe posttraumatic stress, have more comorbid disorders, and have less functional impairment. It's noteworthy that cisgender men are least likely to meet criteria for PTSD, but they're also the least likely to be diagnosed with PTSD if they do meet criteria. It might be that clinicians' perceptions of autistic men and of people with PTSD are in conflict. Additionally, that more difficulty functioning in daily life is a potential outcome of PTSD but also reduces the likelihood of a PTSD diagnosis is concerning. More effort is needed to help autistic adults with PTSD access appropriate therapy.

Thank you again to everyone who trusted us with your responses! Please reach out to me if you have any questions!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:54 am

interesting thanks

I quickly explained my symptoms to a doctor as he was passing through the corridor where i was sitting.
he said its probably ptsd but then walked off, sooo..... it is difficult to get officially diagnosed

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 8:21 am

I'm sure that straight men have the same trouble getting diagnosed with PTSD. Today, Canada is celebrating Indigenous Reconciliation Day, and I see lots of women and girls being used as examples of victims, and two-spirits often mentioned, but no men at all, and boys only included as "children." This ignores a clear majority of the victims of genocide.

If I go to the hospital, I'm expected to drop my AS and PTSD at the door. The nurses treat any invisible handicap like a lazy teen's excuses. I don't go there now for any reason.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 10:52 am

Dear_one wrote:
I'm sure that straight men have the same trouble getting diagnosed with PTSD. Today, Canada is celebrating Indigenous Reconciliation Day, and I see lots of women and girls being used as examples of victims, and two-spirits often mentioned, but no men at all, and boys only included as "children." This ignores a clear majority of the victims of genocide.

I noticed this as well.
Last year, too.

Thank you Dissociation for your work on this important topic.
What strategies will be used to help men's mental health?

I started a thread about it here.
I should look that up.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 2:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thank you Dissociation for your work on this important topic.
What strategies will be used to help men's mental health?

I started a thread about it here.
I should look that up.

I started to feel a lot more sane when I first read about Sociobiology and the logic of gender relations. Sadly, even the founder has been forced to move on for the incidental challenge to Feminist dogma. I think that men have to get back into the conversation defining us. It is a long time since I heard about typically male virtues.