Why is the site so inactive lately?

Page 1 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 3:06 pm

Nearly every section has a date in the "last posted" column rather than a time or a few minutes ago. I feel so bored coming here now because there's just nothing new. The haven is my favourite section but that's inactive lately, and the only two sections buzzing with life are the PPR and the off the wall games. I avoid PPR because I always say the wrong thing, and I have no interest in the off the wall games. I don't want my post history to be filled with one-worded posts from there, as I use my post history to navigate around my recent posts and check for replies (I don't like notifications).
Oh, and random discussion can be interesting if I ignore the pointless "last time you..." threads.

Whenever I do reply to a thread in the general autism discussion the thread suddenly dies forever.

Sex and Trump are the two main topics that seem to circulate the PPR, news and current events, adult sections and L&D. Facebook is much more interesting so I've been on that more lately.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 7:31 pm

Not all of the 'Off The Wall' threads require one word replies. Maybe you should join us in playing 'Leap Frog', 'The Game of Five Words' or 'Banned', Joe.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Oct 2022, 7:37 am

Yes indeed - wormplay is fun and helps keep a jaded Brian ticking over firing on more neurons. :nerdy:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 9:31 am

Nah, doesn't fill me with much thrill. I prefer emotional discussions or stuff like that. But lately there just seems to be the same threads lurking at the top of the same subforums.

I don't really do jokes here. Sometimes maybe, but not much.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 3:16 pm

I think that people have found other areas of the internet to discuss autism related topics. There is a lot of activity on Reddit and Twitter. I'm finding new content to engage with in those places so don't feel the need to frequent this site as much.

Back when this site was founded there were few places to go

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 3:53 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I think that people have found other areas of the internet to discuss autism related topics. There is a lot of activity on Reddit and Twitter. I'm finding new content to engage with in those places so don't feel the need to frequent this site as much.

Back when this site was founded there were few places to go

It seems that a lot of Aspies complain about social media sites such as Reddit, Twitter and Facebook though. I'm on Facebook but I don't go on any other popular social media sites because too many usernames and passwords to remember. I only come on WP and Facebook. I don't belong to any autism groups on Facebook because when talking about autism online I prefer to be anonymous. I belong to an ADHD group on Facebook though, which is more active than this site, everyone on it is from the UK and it's none of the taking everything literally or personally or posting multiple posts about obsessions.

Some may say that I "don't have a life" because I'm always online. But that isn't true. I use the internet on my iPhone, not a computer, so basically I have internet everywhere I go and it only takes 2 seconds to come on to WP if I'm, say, waiting for a bus or on a bus or on lunch break at work or in the bath or in bed. I can even visit WP whilst doing other tasks such as cooking.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 4:02 pm

Yeah there's an Adam Ellis cartoon I like about how being online can really connect you even if you look like you're alone. If it wasn't for social media reels I wouldn't have discovered that there is a very strong possibility that I have ADHD. I wouldn't have heard other people's experiences and seen their creative videos acting out things they do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 6:23 pm

I've noticed the same thing as well.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 7:42 pm

I thought someone was saying that WP is dying. It is an old-fashioned online community, which probably hasn't changed much since it started. People are moving on to newer online communities. So, it's inevitable that WP will die in the near future, isn't it? Inactivity is a symptom of its imminent death.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 8:48 pm

temp1234 wrote:
I thought someone was saying that WP is dying. It is an old-fashioned online community, which probably hasn't changed much since it started. People are moving on to newer online communities. So, it's inevitable that WP will die in the near future, isn't it? Inactivity is a symptom of its imminent death.

That was me and it saddens me to see.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 9:32 pm

I've just joined Reddit. It seems very active. I hope it's a safe move. I'll still be posting here as well.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 9:52 pm

Yep, I was on another autism forum for a day and things aren't any better over there in terms of activity.

Was grilled by a mod about a Futurama screenshot I posted from a gender-swapped episode, in the context of gender-swapped avatar use on the site. The mod clearly didn't understand the concept of humor. I got permabanned mid-conversation with the mod.

Interest-based board for topics like vintage computing or guitars have a ton of activity, for example. Places like here that aren't specific and too broad will never have much interesting going on.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 10:01 pm

^ Poking fun at the identity politics agenda is clearly not acceptable in the current PC environment.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:29 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
temp1234 wrote:

That was me and it saddens me to see.

Well, we don't need to let that happen. I'm certainly not. That's why I still keep coming here.

There are one or two subforums buzzing here but those are the places that interest me the least.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've just joined Reddit. It seems very active. I hope it's a safe move. I'll still be posting here as well.

Reddit is run by morons. I was banned permanently because I asked someone how it felt to be an incel. It was a stupid thing to say, but they overreacted severely and at least half the redditors are neckbeard incels, anyway.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:35 pm

This site has been turned into nothing but a dumpster fire full of political stupidity and propaganda ever since the human orange was made president in the Divided States. End of story.

Everything becomes trash eventually. TV series, movies, music, websites. They never stay good forever they deteriorate just like humans. And everything has deteriorated since the late 90s.