Why is the site so inactive lately?

Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Oct 2022, 11:59 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ I think the most dramatic event of the last decade was when the two senior moderators (and administrators), Cornflake and TallyMan, both resigned within days of each other in the Autumn of 2014.

Both of them are back with us now, thankfully.
I don't think I was around as much at the time & didn't notice or don't remember the details about that. I wonder if something specific hapened that caused em to leave & then return :? Did they return at the same time? I don't think Alex pays mods/admins & this site probably keeps them very busy so they have to majorly care which shows by how respected they are; not everyone likes them but the majority of us long-term members do(including me). While it's def impossible to please eveyone all the time, their batting average is very good.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 12:31 am

nick007 wrote:
I don't think Alex pays mods/admins & this site probably keeps them very busy so they have to majorly care which shows by how respected they are; not everyone likes them but the majority of us long-term members do(including me). While it's def impossible to please eveyone all the time, their batting average is very good.

I'm sorry to hear this. I would donate money but I would like to know it goes to the upkeep of the site.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 4:52 am

I didn't know Tallyman was back?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:05 am

^ Probably because you don't spend enough time in "Random Discussion" sub-forum. In one of the threads, radish revealed that he used to be Tallyman.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 5:18 am

Come Mr Tallyman, tally me banana!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:02 am

temp1234 wrote:
^ Probably because you don't spend enough time in "Random Discussion" sub-forum. In one of the threads, radish revealed that he used to be Tallyman.

This thread's in random discussion. :lol:

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:06 am

I think it's probably for a combination of reasons, like the site not being updated in a long time, forums in general dying out, there being lots of other options these days... and then more personal ones, like maybe people are so busy in these stressing times that they just cut some things off from their lives. Or just not liking the forum anymore. I took quite a long break from the site a few years back because of all the misogyny on the site, and for that reason I also have a personal rule to not post on the L&D section anymore. There would be some interesting topics there, I know 'cause sometimes I lurk around even though I don't post there, but as a woman I just don't feel safe using that part of the forum. It's not as bad as it was around the time I first joined here, but the attacks on women are still rather common thing. The L&D section itself probably keeps some people away from the entire forum.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:15 am

I'm not saying the forum is completely inactive, as the off the wall, PPR, news and current events and L&D are thriving, but the subforums I find most interesting seem to be the inactive ones. I've been advised not to go to news and current events as it triggers my anxiety and PPR because I'm too stupid and end up saying the wrong thing.

Oh and random discussion is quite active, which I'm glad about, although it is mostly dominated by the "post when you breathe" threads that serve no purpose to me.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Oct 2022, 7:18 am

nick007 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
^ I think the most dramatic event of the last decade was when the two senior moderators (and administrators), Cornflake and TallyMan, both resigned within days of each other in the Autumn of 2014.

Both of them are back with us now, thankfully.
I don't think I was around as much at the time & didn't notice or don't remember the details about that. I wonder if something specific hapened that caused em to leave & then return :?
There was something specific but it's not worth digging up now, eight years later - so don't ask. :lol:

Quote:
Did they return at the same time?
We returned at different times - I was asked to return in August 2020, and Radish appeared in May of this year.

Quote:
I don't think Alex pays mods/admins & this site probably keeps them very busy so they have to majorly care which shows by how respected they are; not everyone likes them but the majority of us long-term members do(including me). While it's def impossible to please eveyone all the time, their batting average is very good.
It's unpaid, which is I think the better option. It also takes up a lot of thought and time, but one learns to pace that to be less of an intrusion into real life outside of WP.

Thanks also for the kind comments. :thumright:

Complaints about how WP is much less active or how it's dying have been a regular if intermittent feature since before I joined in 2010, so make of that what you will.
While this version of the forum software still has a few niggling bugs it's a paradise compared to the version in use before 2014. That was plagued with some real terrors, none of which was helped by a flaky early implementation of CloudFlare.

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 7:20 am

cyberdad wrote:

I don't tally bananas any more. I grow root crops instead. ;-)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:42 pm

Radish wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

A very belated welcome back.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Radish wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

A very belated welcome back.

Thanks. Good to see so many familiar names still here.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Oct 2022, 5:36 pm

Radish wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I thought daylight came & you went home :lol:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 2:57 am

If the lack of activity in Haven means a lot of members aren't in distress, then I'm happy with that and long may it continue.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 4:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this. I would donate money but I would like to know it goes to the upkeep of the site.

Does that mean the rumor that you've been paying off moderators is untrue?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 6:15 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Does that mean the rumor that you've been paying off moderators is untrue?

Oh hardly. The Mods here are my biggest critics :wink: