Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Andrew36
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Sep 2022
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Springdale, AR

01 Oct 2022, 3:16 pm

Why did the USA think that they were so much better than the Japanese people just because that hard and fast rules don't exist.

For instance, Europe and European Americans used wood burning stoves and pots and pans..
The function was similar to what we use today.

During that time, the Japanese used a hibachi.

For several reasons..
First of all their houses must of allowed for the safe use of a hibachi..
Relatively.
Of course cooking in those days was always dangerous.
NEVER use a hibachi in a western house.

And secondly, their diet made the hibachi a practical device, as ALL they ate in those days was meat, fish, fruit and vegetables.

They did not have nearly the variety that we have because of their island situation, political situation in Asia, their own policies..
And lack of global reach.

If I had a similar diet it could mean that I should use a charbroil grill as my primary stove, to put it into perspective.
Lol

Another example of no hard and fast rules existing uniformly..
Is the fact that their religion is Shinto and Zen Buddhism.
Leaving their development of what is good and and bad to themselves and their own emotional state and their own experiences and to the word of their own emperors and Shinto house rules etc..


Obviously they would not like it if their kid was murdered.
But there are no guarantees of how they viewed honor killing within their family or suicide.

There still are no hard and fast rules.

Like ALL humans period, the man made the rules.
How long they kept it depended on their thinking..

And that certainly was also true in the USA.
In fact it has only been about 60 years or so that isn't.

So why did the USA think itself so much better just because Japan was something else besides America or Europe?



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,843
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

01 Oct 2022, 5:01 pm

Is this a serious question? :?

Because racism/white supremacy, that’s why.

The European founders of the USA, for the most part, had firmly held beliefs that their whiteness made them racially superior to non-whites. Those beliefs are what helped them conduct a near complete genocide of Indigenous peoples as well as enslave about 10 Million melanated Africans to work their land for free and build their wealth and power.

Fast forward a couple generations and of course many white Americans perceived themselves as superior to non-white Japanese people.

It’s almost as if it’s a learned behaviour passed down generation after generation.. (It is.)

If you want to dig further back, it’s a system of dominance and control for greed and profit that was first officially codified into law by the Spanish in 1449 (so they could make big $ in the slave trade) and then they spread it to the Americas. History lesson here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/h ... tury-spain


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,359
Location: temperate zone

01 Oct 2022, 8:18 pm

I dont know what the original post is about.
Youre upset, and are indicting the USA just because... Americans are baffled by hibachis?

All cultures are "ethnocentric", and tend to assume that their own ways are the best.

European discoverers of Japan thought Japanese culture to be weird, and the Japanese considered Westerner visitors to be weird.

And thats just culture.

Sometimes the tribalism becomes a matter of blood. The Japanese themselve are probably the most racist culture on earth. Even towards fellow East Asians they are more racists than Europeans are towards other Europeans. Koreans living in Japan are not accepted as 'real Japanese' even after generations and centuries (despite the fact that Koreans and Japanese look much alike to us Westerners).

What timeframe are you talking about?

If youre talking about the US occupation of Japan right after WWII- the "explanation" for the racial hatred had a lot to do with the war itself. The governments of both Japan, and the US, stoked up alot of fervor against the other side - against the nationalities themselves as well against the enemy governments. And both Japanese and American peoples were prone to racism anyway.

But post war none of that stopped both countries from adopting each other's cultural ideas. The Japanese play baseball, have democracy, and eat Kentucky Fried chicken. And we read Manga, drive (and even manufacture) Toyotas, and ...use hibachis.

Whats really crazy is that in the FIRST World War American were temporarily gripped by similar racial hatred of the Germans. Crazy because...more than half of American White people ARE German.



Andrew36
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Sep 2022
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Springdale, AR

01 Oct 2022, 9:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I dont know what the original post is about.
Youre upset, and are indicting the USA just because... Americans are baffled by hibachis?

All cultures are "ethnocentric", and tend to assume that their own ways are the best.

European discoverers of Japan thought Japanese culture to be weird, and the Japanese considered Westerner visitors to be weird.

And thats just culture.

Sometimes the tribalism becomes a matter of blood. The Japanese themselve are probably the most racist culture on earth. Even towards fellow East Asians they are more racists than Europeans are towards other Europeans. Koreans living in Japan are not accepted as 'real Japanese' even after generations and centuries (despite the fact that Koreans and Japanese look much alike to us Westerners).

What timeframe are you talking about?

If youre talking about the US occupation of Japan right after WWII- the "explanation" for the racial hatred had a lot to do with the war itself. The governments of both Japan, and the US, stoked up alot of fervor against the other side - against the nationalities themselves as well against the enemy governments. And both Japanese and American peoples were prone to racism anyway.

But post war none of that stopped both countries from adopting each other's cultural ideas. The Japanese play baseball, have democracy, and eat Kentucky Fried chicken. And we read Manga, drive (and even manufacture) Toyotas, and ...use hibachis.

Whats really crazy is that in the FIRST World War American were temporarily gripped by similar racial hatred of the Germans. Crazy because...more than half of American White people ARE German.



That doesn't mean we thought like them or that the government did.

I'm British by blood heritage.
That doesn't mean that I think or act like them.
We have our own experiences that make us who we are here.


I read the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus.
I was educated using Scholastic and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw Hill and Pearson Scott books.

I was exposed to a variety of sports.

Here, the religious have helped me when I needed it.

I been through American boot camps.

I think in terms of "I did this, so he reacted like that"...
Their thinking is more like.. "He reacted that way because I did this"..
Judging by the difference between American and British cinema.

The list goes on.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,988

01 Oct 2022, 9:24 pm

Can the OP concisely and precisely outline in 2 sentences what the purpose of this thread is?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,359
Location: temperate zone

01 Oct 2022, 9:27 pm

Andrew36 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I dont know what the original post is about.
Youre upset, and are indicting the USA just because... Americans are baffled by hibachis?

All cultures are "ethnocentric", and tend to assume that their own ways are the best.

European discoverers of Japan thought Japanese culture to be weird, and the Japanese considered Westerner visitors to be weird.

And thats just culture.

Sometimes the tribalism becomes a matter of blood. The Japanese themselve are probably the most racist culture on earth. Even towards fellow East Asians they are more racists than Europeans are towards other Europeans. Koreans living in Japan are not accepted as 'real Japanese' even after generations and centuries (despite the fact that Koreans and Japanese look much alike to us Westerners).

What timeframe are you talking about?

If youre talking about the US occupation of Japan right after WWII- the "explanation" for the racial hatred had a lot to do with the war itself. The governments of both Japan, and the US, stoked up alot of fervor against the other side - against the nationalities themselves as well against the enemy governments. And both Japanese and American peoples were prone to racism anyway.

But post war none of that stopped both countries from adopting each other's cultural ideas. The Japanese play baseball, have democracy, and eat Kentucky Fried chicken. And we read Manga, drive (and even manufacture) Toyotas, and ...use hibachis.

Whats really crazy is that in the FIRST World War American were temporarily gripped by similar racial hatred of the Germans. Crazy because...more than half of American White people ARE German.



That doesn't mean we thought like them or that the government did.

I'm British by blood heritage.
That doesn't mean that I think or act like them.
We have our own experiences that make us who we are here.


I read the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus.
I was educated using Scholastic and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw Hill and Pearson Scott books.

I was exposed to a variety of sports.

Here, the religious have helped me when I needed it.

I been through American boot camps.

I think in terms of "I did this, so he reacted like that"...
Their thinking is more like.. "He reacted that way because I did this"..
Judging by the difference between American and British cinema.

The list goes on.


Can you translate this post into human language so we, of Earth, can understand it, please?



Andrew36
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Sep 2022
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Springdale, AR

01 Oct 2022, 9:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Can the OP concisely and precisely outline in 2 sentences what the purpose of this thread is?


This thread outlines the differences in how the west and how Japan developed, outlines some of the reasons for the differences, uses the things about Japan that were misunderstood by Americans and would have been used as propaganda to make the Japanese look inferior in a still photo..
and then asks why Americans hated the Japanese.



Andrew36
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Sep 2022
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Springdale, AR

01 Oct 2022, 9:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Andrew36 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I dont know what the original post is about.
Youre upset, and are indicting the USA just because... Americans are baffled by hibachis?

All cultures are "ethnocentric", and tend to assume that their own ways are the best.

European discoverers of Japan thought Japanese culture to be weird, and the Japanese considered Westerner visitors to be weird.

And thats just culture.

Sometimes the tribalism becomes a matter of blood. The Japanese themselve are probably the most racist culture on earth. Even towards fellow East Asians they are more racists than Europeans are towards other Europeans. Koreans living in Japan are not accepted as 'real Japanese' even after generations and centuries (despite the fact that Koreans and Japanese look much alike to us Westerners).

What timeframe are you talking about?

If youre talking about the US occupation of Japan right after WWII- the "explanation" for the racial hatred had a lot to do with the war itself. The governments of both Japan, and the US, stoked up alot of fervor against the other side - against the nationalities themselves as well against the enemy governments. And both Japanese and American peoples were prone to racism anyway.

But post war none of that stopped both countries from adopting each other's cultural ideas. The Japanese play baseball, have democracy, and eat Kentucky Fried chicken. And we read Manga, drive (and even manufacture) Toyotas, and ...use hibachis.

Whats really crazy is that in the FIRST World War American were temporarily gripped by similar racial hatred of the Germans. Crazy because...more than half of American White people ARE German.



That doesn't mean we thought like them or that the government did.

I'm British by blood heritage.
That doesn't mean that I think or act like them.
We have our own experiences that make us who we are here.


I read the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus.
I was educated using Scholastic and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw Hill and Pearson Scott books.

I was exposed to a variety of sports.

Here, the religious have helped me when I needed it.

I been through American boot camps.

I think in terms of "I did this, so he reacted like that"...
Their thinking is more like.. "He reacted that way because I did this"..
Judging by the difference between American and British cinema.

The list goes on.


Can you translate this post into human language so we, of Earth, can understand it, please?



I did.
Can you read or STFU?
:)



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,988

01 Oct 2022, 9:55 pm

Andrew36 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Can the OP concisely and precisely outline in 2 sentences what the purpose of this thread is?


This thread outlines the differences in how the west and how Japan developed, outlines some of the reasons for the differences, uses the things about Japan that were misunderstood by Americans and would have been used as propaganda to make the Japanese look inferior in a still photo..
and then asks why Americans hated the Japanese.


Propaganda by whom and why? the only time I can think of where this was done deliberately was when General Douglas Macarthur stood over emperor Hirohito as he signed Japan's surrender after WWII. The photo was deliberate to show Mcarthur's relegation of the emperor as inferior and to diminish his god-like status



Andrew36
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Sep 2022
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Springdale, AR

01 Oct 2022, 10:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Andrew36 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Can the OP concisely and precisely outline in 2 sentences what the purpose of this thread is?


This thread outlines the differences in how the west and how Japan developed, outlines some of the reasons for the differences, uses the things about Japan that were misunderstood by Americans and would have been used as propaganda to make the Japanese look inferior in a still photo..
and then asks why Americans hated the Japanese.


Propaganda by whom and why? the only time I can think of where this was done deliberately was when General Douglas Macarthur stood over emperor Hirohito as he signed Japan's surrender after WWII. The photo was deliberate to show Mcarthur's relegation of the emperor as inferior and to diminish his god-like status


National Geographic magazines back in the day made everybody out to be backwards..
Just a few decades before, an African was kept in a zoo.

Hirohito ordered the surrender, so he surrendered.
Americans are not beholden to japanese monarchial customs.

Hirohito surrendered and the United States accepted the surrender, there was no deliberate relegation to make Hirohito inferior.

The Japanese monarchy had to give up god status for the betterment of Japan's behavior toward the outside world and for people's rights in Japan to make that possible.

If you think religion is bad..
A living god is worse.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,359
Location: temperate zone

01 Oct 2022, 10:22 pm

Andrew36 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Andrew36 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I dont know what the original post is about.
Youre upset, and are indicting the USA just because... Americans are baffled by hibachis?

All cultures are "ethnocentric", and tend to assume that their own ways are the best.

European discoverers of Japan thought Japanese culture to be weird, and the Japanese considered Westerner visitors to be weird.

And thats just culture.

Sometimes the tribalism becomes a matter of blood. The Japanese themselve are probably the most racist culture on earth. Even towards fellow East Asians they are more racists than Europeans are towards other Europeans. Koreans living in Japan are not accepted as 'real Japanese' even after generations and centuries (despite the fact that Koreans and Japanese look much alike to us Westerners).

What timeframe are you talking about?

If youre talking about the US occupation of Japan right after WWII- the "explanation" for the racial hatred had a lot to do with the war itself. The governments of both Japan, and the US, stoked up alot of fervor against the other side - against the nationalities themselves as well against the enemy governments. And both Japanese and American peoples were prone to racism anyway.

But post war none of that stopped both countries from adopting each other's cultural ideas. The Japanese play baseball, have democracy, and eat Kentucky Fried chicken. And we read Manga, drive (and even manufacture) Toyotas, and ...use hibachis.

Whats really crazy is that in the FIRST World War American were temporarily gripped by similar racial hatred of the Germans. Crazy because...more than half of American White people ARE German.



That doesn't mean we thought like them or that the government did.

I'm British by blood heritage.
That doesn't mean that I think or act like them.
We have our own experiences that make us who we are here.


I read the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus.
I was educated using Scholastic and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw Hill and Pearson Scott books.

I was exposed to a variety of sports.

Here, the religious have helped me when I needed it.

I been through American boot camps.

I think in terms of "I did this, so he reacted like that"...
Their thinking is more like.. "He reacted that way because I did this"..
Judging by the difference between American and British cinema.

The list goes on.


Can you translate this post into human language so we, of Earth, can understand it, please?



I did.
Can you read or STFU?
:)



"that doesnt mean we thought like them".

Who is the 'we' that you are refering to? And what"government" are you referring to?

If you mean Britain as opposed to the US then youre talking nonsense because the Brits were at least as racists toward 'the Nips' as Americans were, if not more so.

And why are you listing the publishing houses of dictionaries you read as a child? Wtf does THAT have to do with anything.

And youre statement about "I did this...." is thoroughly opaque.



Andrew36
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Sep 2022
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Springdale, AR

01 Oct 2022, 10:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Andrew36 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Andrew36 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I dont know what the original post is about.
Youre upset, and are indicting the USA just because... Americans are baffled by hibachis?

All cultures are "ethnocentric", and tend to assume that their own ways are the best.

European discoverers of Japan thought Japanese culture to be weird, and the Japanese considered Westerner visitors to be weird.

And thats just culture.

Sometimes the tribalism becomes a matter of blood. The Japanese themselve are probably the most racist culture on earth. Even towards fellow East Asians they are more racists than Europeans are towards other Europeans. Koreans living in Japan are not accepted as 'real Japanese' even after generations and centuries (despite the fact that Koreans and Japanese look much alike to us Westerners).

What timeframe are you talking about?

If youre talking about the US occupation of Japan right after WWII- the "explanation" for the racial hatred had a lot to do with the war itself. The governments of both Japan, and the US, stoked up alot of fervor against the other side - against the nationalities themselves as well against the enemy governments. And both Japanese and American peoples were prone to racism anyway.

But post war none of that stopped both countries from adopting each other's cultural ideas. The Japanese play baseball, have democracy, and eat Kentucky Fried chicken. And we read Manga, drive (and even manufacture) Toyotas, and ...use hibachis.

Whats really crazy is that in the FIRST World War American were temporarily gripped by similar racial hatred of the Germans. Crazy because...more than half of American White people ARE German.



That doesn't mean we thought like them or that the government did.

I'm British by blood heritage.
That doesn't mean that I think or act like them.
We have our own experiences that make us who we are here.


I read the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus.
I was educated using Scholastic and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and McGraw Hill and Pearson Scott books.

I was exposed to a variety of sports.

Here, the religious have helped me when I needed it.

I been through American boot camps.

I think in terms of "I did this, so he reacted like that"...
Their thinking is more like.. "He reacted that way because I did this"..
Judging by the difference between American and British cinema.

The list goes on.


Can you translate this post into human language so we, of Earth, can understand it, please?



I did.
Can you read or STFU?
:)



"that doesnt mean we thought like them".

Who is the 'we' that you are refering to? And what"government" are you referring to?

If you mean Britain as opposed to the US then youre talking nonsense because the Brits were at least as racists toward 'the Nips' as Americans were, if not more so.

And why are you listing the publishing houses of dictionaries you read as a child? Wtf does THAT have to do with anything.

And youre statement about "I did this...." is thoroughly opaque.


First of all it's not my problem that you think you live in a vacuum.
You live in America, and there is a WE the American general society, not a vacuum and I suggest you get that frigging chip off of your shoulder or GTFO of America because We're not going to lose our society for your vacuum.


Now..
As I said..

Just because some white Americans come from a German family history doesn't mean that they think like Germans in Germany.

I come from a British family history, that doesn't mean that I think like a British Londoner.

The reason being is because I am adapted to American society and I was educated with American books and by American teachers and I am a product of the American experience and of American history.


It's also not my problem that you're an idiot and you can't understand logic and how stories are put together by people's thinking patterns...

And therefore you can't understand that there is a difference between how Americans and how the people of Britain construct a storyline because of how our thinking differs..

They put the reaction before the action
We put the action first before the reaction.



Last edited by magz on 02 Oct 2022, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.: Agressive personal attack removed

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,988

02 Oct 2022, 12:16 am

Andrew36 wrote:
National Geographic magazines back in the day made everybody out to be backwards..
Just a few decades before, an African was kept in a zoo.


Yes National geographic caricatured indigenous people as a photographic montage of a human zoo for decades but what has this got to do with Japan?
National geographic tends to showcase Japanese culture (both modern and pre-modern) in a fairly positive light.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,179
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

02 Oct 2022, 12:17 am

All humans are racists and never truly happy unless they are hating or feeling superior to people who are different, or watching others suffer or fail. Humans are trash. Humans need to stop breeding.



DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: City of Roses

02 Oct 2022, 12:30 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
All humans are racists and never truly happy unless they are hating or feeling superior to people who are different, or watching others suffer or fail. Humans are trash. Humans need to stop breeding.


We are hairless apes not that different from chimps and gorillas. We like being led by brutish alphas and it's in our nature to hate and destroy anybody outside our little tribes (and anyone within our tribes who refuses to conform)



MuddRM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Joined: 2 Sep 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 201
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township, PA

02 Oct 2022, 12:31 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
All humans are racists and never truly happy unless they are hating or feeling superior to people who are different, or watching others suffer or fail. Humans are trash. Humans need to stop breeding.



This is the first reasonable comment I’ve seen on this thread.

Can a moderator please lock this thread, as it is very quickly turning into a pissing match?